What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just got a second usit.
Fluctuating 5.2 radio.
I am done.
Time to look elsewhere. Asus has really dropped the ball on this one.

So is this thing any good or am I better off getting the older RT-ac5300. Honest question for folks who have gone through the trials of owning either or both the RT and GT-ac5300. I’ve got a 68U.

After 2 GT-AC5300s I placed an order for the RT-AC5300 ..... started reading reviews and promptly cancelled. Same problems.
Pressed the feedback button on the second router and they responded today with "After analyzing the system logs you provided through ASUS router GUI feedback system, we believe that the hardware of the router might be damaged."
You think ??
Wanted me to send it in. F*@# that. God bless amazon returns.

Love the Asus open source but cannot justify the problems they are having with their lineup and their support is atrocious.
Just pulled the trigger on a Netgear. Their interface/software is garbage (imho) .... but their hardware has always been solid for me.

Good luck Asus bros .... loved my 66u but the performance/reliability/price of those days is gone.

Last edited:
Small question, does the reboot and slow bug still exist? I had the rt ac-5300 for 8 months untill it suddenly started rebooting like minimum 6 times a day, got really really slow too, searched online and saw it a common problem among all, now i was checking Amazon reviews for rapture gt ac5300 and its the same but i cant trust the reviews since all of them are old, can some you guys confirm me please if the problem still exists or not ? Also is there any other problem or all good now? Thanks

So is this thing any good or am I better off getting the older RT-ac5300. Honest question for folks who have gone through the trials of owning either or both the RT and GT-ac5300. I’ve got a 68U.
I myself personally wouldn't.. But its all up to you! I would get something that has third party firmware options. The GT has nothing for that. You will be totally at the mercy of ASUS. Good luck!
Zippy.

After 2 GT-AC5300s I placed an order for the RT-AC5300 ..... started reading reviews and promptly cancelled. Same problems.
Pressed the feedback button on the second router and they responded today with "After analyzing the system logs you provided through ASUS router GUI feedback system, we believe that the hardware of the router might be damaged."
You think ??
Wanted me to send it in. F*@# that. God bless amazon returns.

Love the Asus open source but cannot justify the problems they are having with their lineup and their support is atrocious.
Just pulled the trigger on a Netgear. Their interface/software is garbage (imho) .... but their hardware has always been solid for me.

Good luck Asus bros .... loved my 66u but the performance/reliability/price of those days is gone.
You likely made a good choice by switching to Netgear.. As long as it isn't any of the gaming XR series routers running DumaOS on them.. They have more then there fair share of issues as well.. Good luck with your purchase!

then i guess we are never getting it back. sigh

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Let's see what comes out of 386.
The current approach holds me to retire the good old 68U. I would buy another 3 radio router the day after Asus brings back the 2nd 5GHz radio.

Small question, does the reboot and slow bug still exist? I had the rt ac-5300 for 8 months untill it suddenly started rebooting like minimum 6 times a day, got really really slow too, searched online and saw it a common problem among all, now i was checking Amazon reviews for rapture gt ac5300 and its the same but i cant trust the reviews since all of them are old, can some you guys confirm me please if the problem still exists or not ? Also is there any other problem or all good now? Thanks
I still have this problem; I can't find any rhyme or reason or pattern to it.

Also, it never updates signatures automatically, so I have to regularly check/update manually.

This never uses the extra memory and CPUs aren't taxed at all (I'm guessing it's for the filesharing and serving and such that I don't use), so the extra beefy hardware is useless and there's no third-party firmware for it.

Hello folks, running the lastest firmware ( 3.0.0.4.384.45717)on my 5300, running a firestick on the tv, Netflix was able to stream back when I was using my 86U( merlin firmware 384.13)
Now that ive changed over to the Rog 5300 my firestick isnt able to stream Netflix... all others are able to (amazon-Sportsnet) Ive uninstalled netflix- installed again, and still wont stream that app

Back to the 86U and everything works

Anyone else has ran into this problem?

Now that ive changed over to the Rog 5300 my firestick isnt able to stream Netflix... all others are able to (amazon-Sportsnet) Ive uninstalled netflix- installed again, and still wont stream that app
What does it do, exactly?

Is the 5300 set to filter traffic? Does it show blocking URLs?

What does it do, exactly?

Is the 5300 set to filter traffic? Does it show blocking URLs?

Currently running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.384_70116
When trying to watch netflix from the firestick it just sits there at the loading screen with the red circle spinning

Yes I do have a vpn running and clients are set, but the firstick I just leave alone so it would use the ISP dns and not the VPN

But once I turn off any VPN connection ,then Im allowed to connect to the servers from Netflix and watch

I didn't ask about VPN but it seems like you found your problem: split VPN isn't configured correctly or, more likely, it doesn't work as advertised (like many of this router's features); there's been much discussion of the VPN feature causing problems/not working.

Also, did the router suggest that firmware as current or did you manually flash an unreleased one? (mine still says 45717 is current as of a minute ago)

I've downloaded that firmware off there site. But I see it's been pulled. I've tired other firmware but I seem to always get the same result. Went back to my 86U running Merlin firmware for now ,in order to get VPN working again.
Will switch back once they update the firmware again for the Rog

I wouldn't hold my breath for firmware updates for fixes. I did and regret not using my 30-day return window; if you still have one, I suggest using it.

So for right now I've got my 86U and primary with my VPN running, and with the Rog 5300 running with Aimesh node, has been running great.

Have it up for sale now. So maybe I can say goodbye to it someday

Glad we opted to get another 88u after lighting took the old one out Sunday night.

So just got the gt-ac5300 the other day and was wondering if there was any way i can make ipv4 only for the 2.4 or 5ghz wifi channel. Ive got ipv6 enabled but once i turn that on it causes issues with my wife's work laptop and her vpn she connects to. If there was a way i could make ipv6 for only hardwired devices or for the 5ghz channel it would solve my issue. Im running the gt-ac5300 with an att bgw210 gateway.

Maybe disable those protocols on those interfaces with a startup script (no idea if/how, just a thought)

I guess the question is what in the 5300 is breaking VPN that works with the 86/88's--perhaps disable features the older routers aren't running to check for conflicts

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!