What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus is slacking for there Top of the line router. Usually it's around 30 days per firmware update it's going on 1 1/2 months now no new update. There's a crap ton of issues that need to be fixed...

I just gotta confirm what others are seeing.

This router does not perform well, at all. Significant performance difference between upper 5GHz and lower 5GHz... issues with coverage and disconnects...

I put my old netgear router back in the exact same location running 2x2 ac and I went from 30mbps w/ disconnects on low 5GHz to 300+mbit.

It makes me really call into question the difference between SNB testing and real world performance - it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Keep in mind we use ONE test client.

Router / client incompatibility is not unheard of.

For those of you sending feedback via the router, have any of you noticed that even though it says complete, the feedback is not actually been sent?

Thanks for taking the time to submit your feedback.

Failed to send your feedback. Please check your Internet connection and try again.
The system failed to connect to the mail server. You can send an email directly to : ( router_feedback@asus.com ) Simply copy the contents below and paste it as your e-mail contents.

Been sending tons of feedback and normally see the complete button when it finishes sending feedback and hit that. Only realized today that nothing is getting sent!!!
I had hoped that this was only happening to me and not everyone trying to send feedback but unfortunately I am not the the only person to miss the failed email message (just saw another confirmation of feedback failure) and I now think that this could have possibly happened to quite a few other people. If this is so then the issues being reported by the feedback via this router would appear significantly less than they actually are, which may in turn lead Asus to believe that the issues are not that many and also possibly miss other issues that need attention.
Support needs to put a big FAILED sign if it is not sent, after all who reads the fine print.
I have contacted ROG support and advised them of the issue.

Regards
Mark

PS Just heard from Asus Product Manager that they are targeting next week for a firmware release.

Last edited:
From asus “My name is Raymond, and I am a supervisor here is ASUS Product Support. I will take over this case now and assist you from this point moving forward.
I gathered that you are still having issues with your ROG Rapture GT-AC5300, that its connection both wired and wireless is unstable. I saw as well on the email thread that the previous representatives concluded that your unit is already for RMA. But when you searched the internet, there were many blogs saying that many users are also experiencing the same issue as yours. You are thinking that RMA might not be the solution but a firmware upgrade. I totally agree with you about that. So before we proceed with RMA, let me just verify one last time that your router's firmware is up to date. Do you have the firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.12184? If not, please update it to that version, here's the link on where to download it:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wi...839.709853988.1500922711-614861987.1493211377

If you already have that firmware and issue still persist, please let me know so we can proceed with the RMA.
Thanks and have a great day!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My GT-AC5300 has been rock solid no issues with it at all, I am using a firmware from http://www.52asus.com/thread-3053-1-1.html and no issues to speak off,
The website above requires you to make an account but I have uploaded the firmware on my google drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BysNvRrdmokWZFlrMGpXMEhPQW8/view?usp=sharing

Thanks..

I'm curious this has a 9 where mine (US) has a 3. Perhaps it's just a region thing..

GT-AC5300_9.0.0.4_382_12413-ga3258db_cferom_ubi

GT-AC5300_3.0.0.4_382_12184-g4a5d7783_cferom_ubi

Looks like a much later firmware.. are you sure it's compat with GT5300 ? Seems kinda generic.

Thanks..

I'm curious this has a 9 where mine (US) has a 3. Perhaps it's just a region thing..

GT-AC5300_9.0.0.4_382_12413-ga3258db_cferom_ubi

GT-AC5300_3.0.0.4_382_12184-g4a5d7783_cferom_ubi

Looks like a much later firmware.. are you sure it's compat with GT5300 ? Seems kinda generic.

The 9 refers to there beta firmwares that's all. Iv had the firmware running for over a week on my router seems really stable for my usage. Haven't had to reboot the router at all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170729-175307.png
    Screenshot_20170729-175307.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 484
Reactions: eJC
Anyone with 1Gb internet connection here? Can you achieve 1Gb on your router (WAN-LAN)? In the review it achieved only 719 Mb/s WAN-LAN. Do your real-world tests confirm that?

This weekend started out with me only getting 15 MB/sec transfer via both Lan to USB 3, and Wireless 867/867. What I did was unplug/plug the USB cables in. Then restarted the router. After that I made sure I did not go into the config even to browse, or make any changes.

All of a sudden, Boom - All weekend, I am getting a very solid 75 MB/sec wired or wireless. It's like there is a wall, I copied several batches of files, sizes of 300gig to 800gig. It stayed steady, did not drop, at 74.9 - 75 MB/sec.

So now that I kinda figured out how to deal with some of the quirks of this router, what is the real world max speeds I should be getting on 1gb Lan or 867/867 wireless connection.

Oh, did I mention, the AiCloud app now works to play files bigger than 4 gig via 4G to my cell. I was playing easily .MKV's as large as 30+ gigs. I can't really say what I did, I just stopped going in and out of the config and hitting Apply constantly. Maybe the new GUI and firmware is just that flaky, it doesn't like changes.

Anyone with 1Gb internet connection here? Can you achieve 1Gb on your router (WAN-LAN)? In the review it achieved only 719 Mb/s WAN-LAN. Do your real-world tests confirm that?

I'm curious about this too. I have Verizon FiOS Gigabit. I currently have an EA9500, and I would like to know if this will be a worthwhile throughput upgrade.

I've actually hit over 800mbps for WAN-LAN with a 1gbps connection. It's lowered drastically if I enable QoS.

I'm sure there are other factors as well.

Frankly speaking, there are so many firmware issues with this router at the moment that it's hard to say if we're even seeing full performance at all at any time.

Bonding is broken, QoS is broken, random intermittant stalling, and more.

My GT-AC5300 has been rock solid no issues with it at all, I am using a firmware from http://www.52asus.com/thread-3053-1-1.html and no issues to speak off,
The website above requires you to make an account but I have uploaded the firmware on my google drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BysNvRrdmokWZFlrMGpXMEhPQW8/view?usp=sharing

Where did you find this firmware? I asked asus for beta software and they said they didn’t have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This weekend started out with me only getting 15 MB/sec transfer via both Lan to USB 3, and Wireless 867/867. What I did was unplug/plug the USB cables in. Then restarted the router. After that I made sure I did not go into the config even to browse, or make any changes.

All of a sudden, Boom - All weekend, I am getting a very solid 75 MB/sec wired or wireless. It's like there is a wall, I copied several batches of files, sizes of 300gig to 800gig. It stayed steady, did not drop, at 74.9 - 75 MB/sec.

So now that I kinda figured out how to deal with some of the quirks of this router, what is the real world max speeds I should be getting on 1gb Lan or 867/867 wireless connection.

Oh, did I mention, the AiCloud app now works to play files bigger than 4 gig via 4G to my cell. I was playing easily .MKV's as large as 30+ gigs. I can't really say what I did, I just stopped going in and out of the config and hitting Apply constantly. Maybe the new GUI and firmware is just that flaky, it doesn't like changes.

This sounds exactly like the issue I was having. After making any changes (assign manual IP) my throughput would throttle to a fraction of its speed (120Mbps to 3Mbps) and this was only rectified by disabling and re-enabling the LAN connection via the Network and Sharing Centre in Win 10. Since changing the PC's LAN cable to ports 3,4,7 or 8, I no longer have this issue. Ports 1,2,5 and 6 (Game ports and Link Aggregation ports) have the issue. This is interesting as Ports 1,2,5 and 6 are on Switch 1 and 3,4,7 or 8 are on Switch 2 and I suspect this is caused by an underlying software issue.

On a different issue it appears that the Feedback system on the router is not functioning, even though it says complete complete and thanks for submitting in big letters, it has failed.(read the fine print)
If this issue has been occurring with a lot of users and no feedback has been sent, it would have given the appearance of minimal issues with the router, as Asus would not have been receiving the bulk of the feedback from users who had been utilizing this method of reporting, such as I did, approximately 10 times without realizing that it had failed.

Regards
Mark

Where did you find this firmware? I asked asus for beta software and they said they didn’t have any.

I just did a Google search. These appear to be coming from Chinese ASUS forums. There appears to be an even more recent beta version GT-AC5300_9.0.0.4_382_15431-g7834041.

This version says it has more WiFi stability fixes.

I don't mind living on the edge, but I'm not sure I want to install firmware on my Wi-Fi router from sources that I don't fully trust.

I just did a Google search. These appear to be coming from Chinese ASUS forums. There appears to be an even more recent beta version GT-AC5300_9.0.0.4_382_15431-g7834041.

This version says it has more WiFi stability fixes.

I don't mind living on the edge, but I'm not sure I want to install firmware on my Wi-Fi router from sources that I don't fully trust.

No worries ill test it out for you haha!

Iv used almost every beta that appeared on that website with no issues.

Something new i found in the firmware.

Attachments

• Capturess.JPG
    Capturess.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
A voice-controlled security device. What can possibly go wrong... Now, people can hack your router just by sending you malicious MP3s.

I've actually hit over 800mbps for WAN-LAN with a 1gbps connection. It's lowered drastically if I enable QoS.

I'm sure there are other factors as well.

Frankly speaking, there are so many firmware issues with this router at the moment that it's hard to say if we're even seeing full performance at all at any time.

Bonding is broken, QoS is broken, random intermittant stalling, and more.

Thanks for the reply! Anyone else?
What about LAN-LAN speeds? Is 1Gb still a problem?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!