What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ha Ha yep that's about it. Other then my labtop computer which is also hardwired.. I'm not using this router to its fullest by any means. I bought this more for the cool gaming features. Which I cant even use. But hey that ColecoVision was a cool console back in the day.. I had one as well. And I think I may still have it in the attic. lol. Seriously it was a good one! Wish I could say the same about this router.. If I reboot my router it works great for a few games then it totally falls apart. The games become slow and sluggish.. Everything feels out of synch while playing the game. I have a bad feeling it may come down to buying a different router. There is one feature that does work and that is it gives me the servers ip address to the data center I'm connecting too. That's good useful info for me. If you have any other ideas please feel free to share. Thanks!
Honestly, if all you have is an Xbox and a laptop, this router is completely unnecessary. You can get a better-suited one that will still be awesome for your needs.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view

the solution I was given is the factory reset my router three times in a row.
For those stubborn electrons that won't budge!

So like many people here, I'm having various issues with this router not working properly and find myself power cycling it daily. I am done with this junk. It's like there's a HUGE batch of defective GT5300's out there or something.. Return initiated through Amazon (thank you 30 day return policy). I'll never buy a non-DDWRT router again. ASUS, you should of stuck to making motherboards.
I may be doing the same. I stopped buying Asus motherboards in 2005 because of this kind of stuff. "After 12 years, maybe they got their act together..?" I have 30 days to find out. I'm getting pretty tired of everything being beta anymore. I wonder if this platform is/will be popular enough to garner custom firmware support.

What do you think you'll replace it with?

Honestly Mine is working at about 95%. If i turn Qos off it is at 100%. I tried other routers lately and they are still not up to this one. I even tried that Nighthawk X10 and was not impressed. The Gt-AC5300 has soooo many more configurable options and services. If all you have is an xbox and a phone then any router will do. However this router is a powerhouse with a few bugs but near perfect. I reboot my router only when i upgrade the firmware. Dont get me wrong all functions should work perfect but it was trying other router that made me realize it is one of the best out there. They all have issues but this one is still better than the rest. Ive mentioned before we have 30 devices listed in the map and frequently have 2 xboxes and a couple tvs streaming at once and never have issues. Most of the bugs are things that are specialty or dont matter. Like i said before, if qos is off all ports have the same priority. Move the cable from 1 or 2 and it is fixed. I dont use a vpn service because i believe in paying for things that others are creating and it is the same that complain there connections are slow (hello you are encrypting your evrything out of your router). Just my two cents worth but an honest opinion.

How does it compare to the 86U ?

Can you give me a little more, I'm considering one of these for an upgrade.

86u is dual band u will see 1 2.4Ghz network and 1 5Ghz network the GT is Triband 1 2.4 and 2 5Ghz bands also the router is the first router with a Quadcore processor and 64bit it’s all new and with new comes buggy some people it’s hit and miss but I haven’t had much problems with mine I say it’s just according what u gonna use it for and Xbox it seems has a issue with the router when in low power state from what I seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86u is dual band u will see 1 2.4Ghz network and 1 5Ghz network the GT is Triband 1 2.4 and 2 5Ghz bands also the router is the first router with a Quadcore processor and 64bit it’s all new and with new comes buggy some people it’s hit and miss but I haven’t had much problems with mine I say it’s just according what u gonna use it for and Xbox it seems has a issue with the router when in low power state from what I seen

Nice you beat me to it. The 86u is the little bro. Gt-AC5300 is more powerful.

As much as I would love it if the RT-AC86U were quad core, its actually dual core. It is a 64 bit processor though.

So would this be considered equal to or better than the 86U, forgetting about the 2nd 5GHz band? I bought 2 86U's for use in AiMesh, one in my basement, and one in my upstairs spare bedroom where I had a Google WiFi system, which worked great, but needed something more after moving to Xfinity Gigabit. The 86U won't fit inside my AV cabinet in my basement due to the standup design, so I was looking for a short replacement.

So, what's the skinny on this router, from all of you that own it and use it? Is it worth the $388.99 price tag, or you can do the same with a 68U or the newer version of it, AC2900, or both at the same time in AiMesh configuration?

Wait, the 86U has a 64bit processor? I know it's dual core but 64bit? please provide documentation or a link

Last edited:
So here is a good one. I called support about my (our) qos issues. I mentioned the traditional QOS doesnt retain settings once you reboot the router. After a day and a half at whatever level it made it to the solution I was given is the factory reset my router three times in a row. Yes you read that right. I guess i never cared about port 1 & 2 because i always just gave the highest priority to whatever port they were on. Just cracked me up.
So are you saying that not to use port 1 or 2 and just use another port? Then I can set up QoS and it should work? I guess trying anything at this point cant hurt a thing.. I like to use the QoS to help fine tune any buffer bloat. That really helps when it comes to fps games..

So are you saying that not to use port 1 or 2 and just use another port? Then I can set up QoS and it should work? I guess trying anything at this point cant hurt a thing.. I like to use the QoS to help fine tune any buffer bloat. That really helps when it comes to fps games..
Yes infact i think the auto qos favors gaming if not slide gaming to the top. If you dont have too many devices qos off is fine. Too many get held up on port 1 & 2.. these ports do not add any thing special to the device connected to it except give the first priority to the internet.

Honestly, if all you have is an Xbox and a laptop, this router is completely unnecessary. You can get a better-suited one that will still be awesome for your needs.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view

Thanks Rolo I think I got caught up all in the hype about this router. I'm going to mess around tonight more with this router an see if I cant at least get my QoS to work. I do have a big hammer that should do the trick.lol. But on a serious note I do think this router has potential once they get a good grip on the firmware. The question is how long will that be..

Yes infact i think the auto qos favors gaming if not slide gaming to the top. If you dont have too many devices qos off is fine. Too many get held up on port 1 & 2.. these ports do not add any thing special to the device connected to it except give the first priority to the internet.
Thanks Maahfu! I will try just what you said and see what happens.. Who knows maybe I will get lucky! Thanks again!

So the major area of benefits for a PC gamer, with this router, is in it's WiFi? As a PC gamer I never game on wifi

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!