What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The Synology gets amazing review. I would go with that as paying extra for the AD standard that will be outdated next year due to the AX standard coming out.

I just called Asus and let them have it yesterday. I told them the issues we have been having and they are going to get back to me on if it's a hardware or firmware issue and when the next firmware update is expected to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the restore tool wont take the firmware, do I rename the .w to a .trx to get it to work?
I had to try it a couple of times before it actually worked for each of the older firmware, but did you set the router to restoration mode by unplugging the router, and then you press & hold the reset button while holding the reset button plug the router back in then wait for about 10 to 15 seconds to make it go into the restoration mode? I did not had to rename anything. I just downloaded all the old firmware, and did the procedure everytime.

I just called Asus and let them have it yesterday. I told them the issues we have been having and they are going to get back to me on if it's a hardware or firmware issue and when the next firmware update is expected to be.

Dealing with Asus customer service is like trying to teach a rock to flip.

Let us know what Asus says but they will never admit to a hardware issue because a recall will cost too much money. They will blame the firmware. If they fixed the VPN issue I wouldn't mind keeping it but DD WRT on the R9000 destroys this router on speed. I'm just concerned with the life of the router but that's the chance you take with anything. With no review in the router anywhere I think it tells me they knew this thing was a pile of trash. There is literally nothing anywhere for this router except HERE.

well the problem with the hardware is really simple, its either temperature or a power design problem where the chips arent getting either enough power or the wrong voltages.

It makes me wonder, was asus outputting too much power on wifi or using an amplifier that was too powerful.

Let us know what Asus says but they will never admit to a hardware issue because a recall will cost too much money. They will blame the firmware. If they fixed the VPN issue I wouldn't mind keeping it but DD WRT on the R9000 destroys this router on speed. I'm just concerned with the life of the router but that's the chance you take with anything. With no review in the router anywhere I think it tells me they knew this thing was a pile of trash. There is literally nothing anywhere for this router except HERE.

Did you try kongs dd-wrt build? I got mine from Myopenrouter.net and it's working great on my R9000. Right now I have my Gt (working with QOS and Gameboost off) that is out side of my return period, a r9000 that bricked its self randomly, luckfully jts in its return period I also have my old X6. Finally I just ordered a netduma R1 for its kick add firmware for gaming, hopefully it's QOS can kill my bufferbloat.

If I do not have too many devices on at the same time, 8 at the most am and what's most important is VPN speed (I'm pretty sure I'm going to start using a vpn thanks USA for killing net neutrality) and wifi range do I choose a X8, a "true" triband router, as I said earlier it technically does have higher 2.4 and 5ghz speeds then the x10 or the X10 with its monster processor and "better" wifi chipset brand. Or if I should just go with an orbi.

My plan is to choose ether the X10/x8 or the GT for an AP using it for wifi and vpn because the netduma has crappy wifi / the other routers have crappy QOS and use what ever router I leave (or my old x6) as a AP downstairs via powerline.

I think the best thing would be to keep both and set another one up as an ap or I just may return the x10 and wait for AX to come out

Did you try kongs dd-wrt build? I got mine from Myopenrouter.net and it's working great on my R9000. Right now I have my Gt (working with QOS and Gameboost off) that is out side of my return period, a r9000 that bricked its self randomly, luckfully jts in its return period I also have my old X6. Finally I just ordered a netduma R1 for its kick add firmware for gaming, hopefully it's QOS can kill my bufferbloat.

If I do not have too many devices on at the same time, 8 at the most am and what's most important is VPN speed (I'm pretty sure I'm going to start using a vpn thanks USA for killing net neutrality) and wifi range do I choose a X8, a "true" triband router, as I said earlier it technically does have higher 2.4 and 5ghz speeds then the x10 or the X10 with its monster processor and "better" wifi chipset brand. Or if I should just go with an orbi.

My plan is to choose ether the X10/x8 or the GT for an AP using it for wifi and vpn because the netduma has crappy wifi / the other routers have crappy QOS and use what ever router I leave (or my old x6) as a AP downstairs via powerline.

I think the best thing would be to keep both and set another one up as an ap or I just may return the x10 and wait for AX to come out

what exactly are you talking about? On the X10, yes of course I used DD WRT kongs build. Other than that I dont really understand what you are saying in your post.

Basically do I keep the X10 or buy the x8 or just cut my losses and return it without buying it because I already have my GT I can't give back

what exactly are you talking about? On the X10, yes of course I used DD WRT kongs build. Other than that I dont really understand what you are saying in your post.
Does the Kong version of DD-WRT really improves on the performance of the X10 R9000 over the ROG Rapture? I just ordered the TP-LINK Talon AD7200, and just for kicks I went out, and grabbed another ROG Rapture (number 14) since it's the holiday weekend. If I'm not happy with the TP-Link I'm just going to pick up the X10 too.

I feel like I've wandered into the oil rich Middle East asus forum.

The x10 is amazing with dd wrt. Is it better than the rapture though? I would say the web interface on the rapture allows for its amazing options. But the options also cripple the router. My ping times on the rapture are better in over watch as I attribute that to my pc being the only device on the second 5Ghz band. The X10 on DD WRT is blazing fast through the web interface. In the end, the X10 is a better experience but the Asus has so many features. It's a hard choice. If the Asus works for what you have I say keep it. If is doesn't the X10 is the way to go for sure.

Woke up this morning and it was down. All the lights were on but nothing was working. Lan or Wireless. Rebooted and it was fine.

Just had the same thing happen. The wireless is down, but wired switching and routing is fine. I get a strange set of entries in the system log as well. It seems like the kernel dies and restarts itself (but the date/time are incorrect). The entries at May 28 19:24 are after I did a reboot from the WebUI.

=====
May 28 19:23:24 kernel: ^[[0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when deleting flowfor net_p=ffffffc033f9edd0
May 28 19:23:24 kernel: ^[[0m
May 28 19:23:24 kernel: ^[[0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when deleting flowfor net_p=ffffffc033f9e380
May 28 19:23:24 kernel: ^[[0m
May 28 19:23:24 iTunes: daemon is stoped
May 28 19:23:24 FTP Server: daemon is stoped
May 28 19:23:24 Samba Server: smb daemon is stoped
May 28 19:23:24 Timemachine: daemon is stoped
May 28 19:23:24 WEBDAV Server: daemon is stoped
Feb 13 16:00:14 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.24.1 (2017-05-05 14:45:48 CST)
Feb 13 16:00:14 kernel: Linux version 4.1.27 (chengche@chengche-VirtualBox) (gcc version 5.3.0 (Buildroot 2016.02) ) #17 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 5 14:55:54 CST 2017
Feb 13 16:00:14 kernel: CPU: AArch64 Processor [420f1000] revision 0

(a bunch deleted)

Feb 13 16:00:20 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.
Feb 13 16:00:23 ntp: start NTP update
May 28 19:24:16 rc_service: ntp 833:notify_rc restart_upnp
May 28 19:24:16 miniupnpd[832]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
May 28 19:24:16 miniupnpd[854]: version 1.9 started
May 28 19:24:16 miniupnpd[854]: HTTP listening on port 45011
May 28 19:24:16 miniupnpd[854]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
May 28 19:24:17 rc_service: ntp 833:notify_rc restart_diskmon
May 28 19:24:17 disk_monitor: Finish

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!