What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I finally gave up. Yesterday I was having a problem with the network jitter gradually increasing on one of my devices (shield TV) until it would become usable. I tried to enable QoS, but had the usual disconnects, two of which occurred *while* I was disabling the feature and again right after.

I switched back to the X10. The jitter problem disappeared. USB performance is better (although not tons faster). My drives don't run constantly, and I don't think they're eating up all my ram. I can actually use the QOS. I got the X10 for $100 off through an amazon warehouse deal, so it made sense to just keep it and return the Rapture.

Asus really blew it with this product. It doesn't make sense to bear with who knows how many firmware updates when there are other options out there. They should have spent at least six more months in development on these things. No one buys a router just so they can disable features to make it stable. I'm sure it will get a bit better over time, but I have a suspicion that these units will never really work properly. I wouldnt recommend going through more than three of these routers.

I finally gave up. Yesterday I was having a problem with the network jitter gradually increasing on one of my devices (shield TV) until it would become usable. I tried to enable QoS, but had the usual disconnects, two of which occurred *while* I was disabling the feature and again right after.

I switched back to the X10. The jitter problem disappeared. USB performance is better (although not tons faster). My drives don't run constantly, and I don't think they're eating up all my ram. I can actually use the QOS. I got the X10 for $100 off through an amazon warehouse deal, so it made sense to just keep it and return the Rapture.

Asus really blew it with this product. It doesn't make sense to bear with who knows how many firmware updates when there are other options out there. They should have spent at least six more months in development on these things. No one buys a router just so they can disable features to make it stable. I'm sure it will get a bit better over time, but I have a suspicion that these units will never really work properly. I wouldnt recommend going through more than three of these routers.

No one buys routers just to disable features to make it stable?
You really are new around here. Lol

Now my major question (I'll probably test this) if I'm going for pure wifi speeds the x8 should theoretically because of the turbo Qam. The advertised 2.4 and 5ghz speeds are faster on the x8 vrs the x10.

My major question is if I have 400down and 40up does the extra max mb make a difference or it would not because the signal is saturated. I think it would be faster because it would be able to push more signal. My device I'm testing from is a 5s iPhone so I'm limited to 100mb max but I'll pick it the iPhone 8/X when it comes out.

Almost all routers have some issues out of the box. This one is an exception to the amount of issues. Really disappointing Asus released something this bad off. The original 5300 had issues but not best as bad IMO and was stabilized over time. This thing is a turd. If it wasn't. For their awesome monitors and motherboard I'd swear them off completely.

Almost all routers have some issues out of the box. This one is an exception to the amount of issues. Really disappointing Asus released something this bad off. The original 5300 had issues but not best as bad IMO and was stabilized over time. This thing is a turd. If it wasn't. For their awesome monitors and motherboard I'd swear them off completely.
I had issues with Asus motherboards, and a few of their monitors. Asus knows how to make the best looking stuff with features everyone wants, but their quality control is practically nonexistent.

I had issues with Asus motherboards, and a few of their monitors. Asus knows how to make the best looking stuff with features everyone wants, but their quality control is practically nonexistent.

It just seems other vendors have finally caught up to ASUS and now maybe ASUS is starting to slack off. I still think their firmware features are top notch...that is if they work :p

Lots of choices nowadays. It used to just be ASUS in my mind if you wanted router that didn't completely suck.

Well hopefully these routers get fixed via firmware update. So does any one know for sure what batch or revision number are the good ones. I'm probably going to rma mine

Well hopefully these routers get fixed via firmware update. So does any one know for sure what batch or revision number are the good ones. I'm probably going to rma mine
I gave up, and returned my final Rapture for a full refund. I'm done beta testing these duds. Now I'm looking at the SYNOLOGY RT2600ac, and the Netgear X10 R9000.

Mine is failing to update. It gets to about 70%, then the progress bar disappears and it switches to the GameDashboard.asp page. Not surprised at this point. I'm shopping for a new router, hopefully one with working 802.3ad, 8 ports, and good VPN performance.

Finally got mine to update by manually downloading the file.

The CNET review was a joke. They did perfunctory wireless speed tests, and didn't test any of the major 'features' of this router, like link aggregation (broken) and USB transfers (uselessly slow speeds and very high router memory use). They also didn't test VPN transfer speeds or give any concrete numbers on how the gaming prioritization features actually performed. An honest review would give this thing about 2/5 stars IMHO.

Finally got mine to update by manually downloading the file.

The CNET review was a joke. They did perfunctory wireless speed tests, and didn't test any of the major 'features' of this router, like link aggregation (broken) and USB transfers (uselessly slow speeds and very high router memory use). They also didn't test VPN transfer speeds or give any concrete numbers on how the gaming prioritization features actually performed. An honest review would give this thing about 2/5 stars IMHO.

Are the problems still there after the update? I have had no issues with this router since I got it, way better than my 87U. New update went smooth on mine just uploaded it now my pings are way better 2-3ms lower across the board.

I'm testing link aggregation and USB transfer rates now, will update when done. Backing up my freenas stuff to an external drive shared via the router (samba) has only been able to achieve 15MB/s prior to today, and link aggregation showed no slave interfaces in the router ssh interface, even when enabled and connected to a server with 802.3ad set up. The ports still work, but the client shows differing aggregation IDs for the network interfaces connected to the router.

If both of those issues are resolved, I'll happily revise my rating up to 4/5. At least the number of clients shown in network map is no longer 'NaN' (not a number) any more, it properly shows my connected device count after this update.

Mine is failing to update. It gets to about 70%, then the progress bar disappears and it switches to the GameDashboard.asp page. Not surprised at this point. I'm shopping for a new router, hopefully one with working 802.3ad, 8 ports, and good VPN performance.

Mine doesn't appear to fail, but when I update from the router Web UI, everything appears to complete properly, but I still have the same firmware version.

I noticed there isn't a new version on the Asus support site to download. I think they've staged the update incorrectly.

Memory usage increase while transfering files is perfectly normal - it's the Linux system allocating memory to buffers. These buffers get freed whenever something else requires that RAM.

This is how every other router models also behave.

I think the update is syndicating now.... I just noticed the update wasn't on the support web site, then I refreshed and it was there... I had to download the firmware to my PC and then upload to the router, but I'm now on 12184 and agree that it appears some of the Web UI things (like Network Map) have been cleaned up.

I'll have to watch the system log and see if some of the internal issues have been cleaned up as well.

That's good to know. Still only seeing 13-15MB/s when doing samba transfers to the drive. I'll test link agg later.

I had no luck updating with the app or auto update on the web page. Had to manually update also.

Update:

Make sure you do a full factory reset. After mine came up wifi was down until full factory reset.

Qos is broken bad. I can't get several websites to load and internet is slow. Disabled and it's fine now.

Last edited:
The CNet review that did this write up is, in my opinion, on of the best. He is very detailed and technical in the work he does (and produces hilarious videos).

He's play for pay - simply put...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!