What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Don't hesitate to drop your feedback :D

So the beta firmware shared above seems to have solved the issue! I can set the VPN as my default connection without specifying each individual MAC address in the Exception List.

Here is my current problem. When using the internet as my default connection, I get 100 Mbps down. When I use the Nord OpenVPN connection, I only get 40 Mbps down. Is this a Nord problem?

John

Yeah that what i was talking about i have 400 Mbps on down and only get 85-120 no thanks going to ask for a refund

I never listen to just one source.

Always best to do so indeed, especially as reviewers might cover different aspects. Tim devotes very little time to bells & whistles, but will give you a torough test of the actual device performance. Other reviewers might do more limited performance tests, but will go into more details over the extra features.

Yeah that what i was talking about i have 400 Mbps on down and only get 85-120 no thanks going to ask for a refund

VPN performance will vary highly based on the server you use and your physical location. Try different servers to compare results.

Otherwise, PIA has some very fast servers - people reported being able to max out their router's CPU hitting close to 200 Mbps with their service and an RT-AC86U.

Tried a lot of servers on their app speed max out to 120 to the best !

Will i be able to host my own Home VPN Server on the GT-AC5300 and still get my 400 Mbps ?

Will i be able to host my own Home VPN Server on the GT-AC5300 and still get my 400 Mbps ?
I can't get more than 40ish using pptp. Open VPN is easily worse. And I have gigabit internet. Im assuming you mean setting up your router as a vpn server and connecting to it remotely

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

From my understanding the Gt ac53000 has an enterprise level 2 way firewall that trend micro created built into the router. It is suppressed too be more powerful the just the aiprotection. You can get similar protection from a standalone device for about 300 hundred, but you would still need a router to attach to it.
I want a GT-AC53000. It sounds much beefier than my Gt-AC5300.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Those are two completely different things. Running a local VPN server is for when you need remote access to your home, while using a VPN provider service is when you want to tunnel your outbound traffic through them for geolocation/privacy reasons.

The GT-AC5300 CPU can handle around 200 Mbps of OpenVPN traffic at most.

How does the Gaming Private Networking work? Or the Fusion, or whatever they call it? Is it something worth the price tag?

For Geolocation/Privacy/Stream i use SmartDNS
So the Asus Router cannot host the VPN at full speed too bad :( it doesn't even have IKEv2 support.
thought I just figure it out with the NordVPN for the speed issue, only IKEv2 give me the most out of my ISP speed.
Check it out :D

P.S : First screen is with the VPN second is without

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 23.12.37.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 23.12.31.png

How does the Gaming Private Networking work?

Your mileage will vary, depending on your geographical location and the game. The service is powered by WTFast.

https://www.wtfast.com/routers/

Or the Fusion, or whatever they call it?

I believe VPN Fusion is still somewhat in development, it should work better in the current beta (and the next release firmware) based on the user feedback I saw here on the forums. I cannot comment on how well it works beyond that, I implemented my own system of client routing in my own firmware.

Your mileage will vary, depending on your geographical location and the game. The service is powered by WTFast.

https://www.wtfast.com/routers/

I believe VPN Fusion is still somewhat in development, it should work better in the current beta (and the next release firmware) based on the user feedback I saw here on the forums. I cannot comment on how well it works beyond that, I implemented my own system of client routing in my own firmware.

Is it under a new tab? I wouldn't know due to my old RT N66U router

Alright, so here's another update.

The beta firmware (9.0.0.4.382_19612) allowed me to set the VPN as the default connection. But now, the Exception List doesn't work. That is, any MAC address/IP address I enter into the Exception List to bypass the VPN and go straight to the internet does not do so. Everything appears to be going through the VPN. I'm assuming if I go to speedtest.net using a PC on the Exception List, it is supposed to appear as if I'm coming from my original ISP, not the VPN location?

This VPN Fusion software appears to be extremely temperamental. If I buy a different router (say, the Nighthawk X4S), could I expect the same results but saving $200? Can the Nighthawk X4S handle 100 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload over a OpenVPN connection?

Thanks guys.

John

I upgraded to the beta firmware, which seemed to help a lot of issues. However, there are still many problems with this router. I have the same issue others have reported where I cannot update the names of connected clients after the first 20-25 devices (The names keep reverting back to the defaults). I also cannot get link aggregation to work between the router on LAN ports 5&6 and my synology NAS. I called Asus support and they had to escalate the issue to their second tier. If anyone has gotten link aggregation to work, I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. I already have the setting enabled on both the router and NAS. The NAS had link aggregation working on the previous device it was using to connect so it definitely is something with the router or some other setting I am unaware of..

ASUS - if you are monitoring this thread, it is very frustrating all of the issues being reported for a router that costs as much as this does. Please get these issues worked out!

Is it under a new tab? I wouldn't know due to my old RT N66U router

I don't know, the GT-AC5300 has a completely different menu layout from other models.

Alright, so here's another update.

The beta firmware (9.0.0.4.382_19612) allowed me to set the VPN as the default connection. But now, the Exception List doesn't work. That is, any MAC address/IP address I enter into the Exception List to bypass the VPN and go straight to the internet does not do so. Everything appears to be going through the VPN. I'm assuming if I go to speedtest.net using a PC on the Exception List, it is supposed to appear as if I'm coming from my original ISP, not the VPN location?

This VPN Fusion software appears to be extremely temperamental. If I buy a different router (say, the Nighthawk X4S), could I expect the same results but saving $200? Can the Nighthawk X4S handle 100 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload over a OpenVPN connection?

Thanks guys.

John

I can go ahead and say the X4S to get it to VPN is a headache have to SSH and all that stuff with Voxels Firmware unless u use DDWRT is which is still in Beta using Kong’s builds and it is somewhat stable but WiFi speeds with the R7800 gets hit hard under DDWRT but don’t get me wrong the R7800 is a good router but Netgear firmware’s suck and bland on options at least R7800 wise problem we just have with the GT-5300 is ASUS is just being slow as hell to update it but it does have a lot of future proofing to it as in CPU wise when ever it does get a properly updated functioning Firmware it will be a beast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh, I meant on your build for the 86U. "I implemented my own system of client routing in my own firmware."
Directly on the openVPN client page. See the wiki for more information.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!