What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi double nat been like this couple of days planning sorting tomorow. .

Where would double nat effect?

Thanks

As I've never had it, I'm not experienced to say. Since it implies you must use some device by other, that device and its configuration may not be to your liking/in your control. And, I understand it can interfere with some traffic like VoIP, but maybe just because the other router forced on you is a lessor/deficient router in the first place, not because double nat is the issue.

Give it a shot!

OE

If your host name = Rolo for example - and you're connecting to your router using https:\\rolo.asuscomm.com:8443 on the previous 5300 I had, it setup (as an example) "45ashkfdfdfd45454545454300i9545" for "rolo". Surely, a dynamic changing host name would be added security as long as only the dynamic host name is what worked and not if you use "rolo" for the host name.

And, what is the purpose of a client VPN with the Asus router. I tried ExpressVPN and set it up. It connected but then my router had no access to the internet. I thought setting up a VPN would allow me to connect to the router by first engaging a client VPN connection to my VPN and then I would be able to connect to my router. But, it seems that engaging ExpressVPN with the router is only for your router and devices to use the established VPN connection for internet access but I'm still connecting to my router using https as per above. Is it more secure with the VPN client engaged?

DDNS hostname is irrelevant for two reasons:
1. You don't get attacked because you have a DDNS hostname; you get attacked because you have an IP address (check your logs; disable DDNS completely and check your logs again: you're still getting attacked)
2. Obfuscation is not security; keeping things locked/controlling access is security. Hiding your home address isn't why you get robbed; keeping your door unlocked would be

VPN Client means the router is a VPN client, just like setting up your PC as a VPN client.
VPN server is what you want to use to connect to your internal network from outside your network and/or to route your smartphone's traffic through when its connected to an open WiFi network.

Just trying to determine if using the 2nd 5300/Aimesh node would be better under a wireless or wired connection using the Powerline adapter. And, if the Powerline adapter was not getting a wired connection or it dropped would my 5300 node go to wireless even though it set it to Ethernet and it shows a wired connection? I don't trust the Powerline adapter is basically the bottom line. Speed tests are haywire now with the setup. At times I get the full 120+ download but at times I get 10-50 download yet using the app's and streaming is still as fast as if I am getting 120+ download so something is awry here. And, do you folks keep Smart Connect ON or OFF? Thanks.

They definitely improved SmartConnect with 648 firmware; I couldn't use it prior to this firmware and am using it now.

You should test the powerline adapter between two PCs (there's a free throughput test, "NetStress", IIRC) first to get an idea of how they perform and then plug them into the router, having established a baseline.

Using wired will keep two more radios available for clients to connect.

I am interested in purchasing this router, but when SNB reviewed this router the WAN to LAN performance was very poor, only able to route around ~700mbit/sec if I recall correctly.

I use a gigabit internet connection so being able to properly take advantage of that connection is very important to me (expecting 940-950mbit/sec over gigabit ethernet).

Is this a known issue with this router and/or has it been addressed in recent firmware?

I get 950ish consistently from comcast. Prior to signing up I had been using the GT-AC5300 in access point mode. The router comcast gave me is a piece of garbage but did have a setting for bridge mode. Switched to router mode and I gotta say this is the best router I've ever used. Fast and tons of features. AiMesh works great on the latest firmware.

No complaints. Everything works.

I get 950ish consistently from comcast. Prior to signing up I had been using the GT-AC5300 in access point mode. The router comcast gave me is a piece of garbage but did have a setting for bridge mode. Switched to router mode and I gotta say this is the best router I've ever used. Fast and tons of features. AiMesh works great on the latest firmware.

Hi I have now managed to set up my GT ac5300 via netgear dm200. To get it working i had to set DM200 as modem only DONT tick passthrough vlan then quick setup via asus web app using PPPoE inputting my bt infinity user password. I now need to configure as we have 5 children lots of connections were also gamers xbox one x's and mining equipment this router is fantastic..glad you made the post as I need to fine tune it..

Where is the setting for modem only? Going to have a look at setting but thought I would ask..

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback!

I had that problem (the whole router would slow down and eventually either stop responding or reboot by itself). Turning off URL history seemed to have helped. (I can't seem to find that feature now.)

Do you think that feature is still there or was it changed after a firmware update? I cant seem to find it either. If you happen to stumble on how to turn off URL history please let me know. Id love to shut that off.. Also I have made a little progress but one step forward and two back.. When I turn IPV6 off I can use bandwidth limiter in QoS. The minute I enable my IPV6 it quits working. Is that normal? Makes no sense why it quits working. Is there something else I need to do to get it to work? I just don't get this router.. Some of the basic features this router is so very problematic. No way in the world would I call this a gaming router.. There are a few gaming features this router has.. As to date none of them work..lol..

Can you be more specific/descriptive?
I'm trying to disable Nat acceleration, I don't see the option on the router. Up until yesterday after a firmware update port forwarding was working without issue. Now it's not working, the router says it's forwarding the ports in the logs but nothing connects. In the past hardware/Nat acceleration being enabled gave me issues with port forwarding so I want to disable it to do some testing. I already did a reset after the firmware update, it was working for a few hours and just stopped working.

Last edited:
Anybody out there using the GT-AC5300 with gigabit Internet that can share their experiences?
I have Fios Gigabit (Fiber to the Home) 1GB down/1GB up and I typically get 95o down/950 up. I rarely have issues with speed, typically if I do I restart the PC first and if it's still a little slow I then reboot the switch that sits between the computer and router and that resolves it.

Did something

And, on the DDNS section, did something change. I remember when I set this up (on my first usage of this router, returning it and now deciding to keep it with the new one I just got) that the DDNS section for the host name had like a dynamic host name where not it just shows the host name as it's written. So, if my host name is ROGASUS ... I need to type in "ROGASUS.ASUSCOM.COM" to get to my router whereas before ROGASUS = a long set of characters that was equal to the host name so more secure. Is there a way to turn this back on?

I don't ever recall seeing a rotating DDNS host name on any ASUS router and I've had the RT-AC66R/U, RT-AC87R/U, RT-AC3200, RT-AC5300, and currently the GT-AC5300. As others have said, whether you have DDNS enabled or not, you're still going to be attacked. It's part of the nature of the internet. One of the things I always do is turn off ICMP (disable respond to ping) so if someone pings your IP Address or DDNS host name (if they figure it out) they don't get a response. Ideally the best way to secure your home network is to get off the internet. But we all know that's not happening. So the next best thing is don't open ports to inbound traffic if you don't need it. Other than 80 and 443 (HTTP and HTTPS) you should minimize open ports. So if you enable port forwarding or setup VPN on your GT-AC5300, make sure you know what you're doing and understand the risks. Make sure the network behind the router is good too, so make sure to keep that Windows firewall enabled on your computers.

I have a issue and was wondering if anyone can help me out with it. When I enable IPv6 in my router my bandwidth eliminator quits working in the QoS section. The minute I disable IPv6 it works again. Anyone else run across this? Is this normal or anyone know what the issue maybe? I find this very strange. And I really would like to use this feature with IpV6. Thanks!

So what happens when you mix a dual band (RTAC86u) with a triband router(s) (2 x GT5300's) in Aimesh? Does this compromise the ability of the 2 5300's to use the backhaul channel because one of the pieces is dual band? Also, what would be the difference if all 3 were wired vs one being wireless?

Ideally 3 band should be router and dual band node.
There's no easy answer to your question.
If node is wired, backhaul is over ethernet.
If not:
- combined with smart connect it will choose 2nd 5GHz for backhaul if there is good 5GHz connectivity between.
- if it can't connect via 5, it will do it via 2.4.
- without smart connect you can define a SSID for the first 5GHz band but clients will share the 2nd 5GHz with backhaul.

If dual band is router and 5300 node you just got yourself a 5GHz radio that you can't use on the node. At least that was the case with the first AiMesh release. I don't know if something changed meanwhile.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!