What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A better solution would be more like rmerlin project. Basic software free. Advanced RMerlin for a basic fee? Also a real advanced support group with real developers as support..

REALLY NEEDED. YA IT'S A HOT MESS, BUT THEIR REAL HARD COSTS. 1) Licensing ArmX chip designs, Radio and specialized crap based on basic design and expectacions.

Don't forget laber, manufactoring, etc.

A friend of mine, who also follows snbforums and does advanced Arm coding (a clue same company that does the 36 and 72 core chips) used by Mikrotik,
so he actually told me some the hidden dev costs Like the 5 user arm microcode compiler, that licenses out @ close to 300000 bucks a year.

Developers have families, and have the same expenses you do, Play with some numbers. I suspect development costs of advanced router could top 5 million on
A Rog router.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T677A using Tapatalk
While I agree there maybe a lot of costs involved with this ROG router and as a company like ASUS they should have known better then to release a router like this.. Im sorry but after this nightmare of a router I may never buy another ASUS product again.. And as far as Merlin helping out with firmware for this that's not going to happen. At least that was the impression I got.. I would have sold this ROG router by now but I have a conscience.. I wouldn't pass this nightmare onto my worst enemy.. My only faults with this router was trusting ASUS and not doing my homework to see if this was going to be supported by Merlin or other software/firmware alike... Once again in my eyes ASUS should be ashamed... If ASUS would give me half the money back on this I would be the first in line to get rid of this.. Never again!

Hopefully they get their next "Premium" ROG router right and it's not an abject failure like the GT-AC5300 has been.
Over a year of firmware updates and there are still the same issues that have been present since release.
VPN Fusion -One of their main selling points on the router - they fix it, then they break it...it goes on and on.
Sporadic reboots – experienced by myself and numerous other users with 21045. Even with an raised syslog level there is no indication of what causes the reboot as the router goes from normal operation to sudden reboot, to loading Busybox with no info in between.
5GHz-2- Still randomly disappearing and disconnecting clients.
Game ports – speed is still negotiated from lowest speed to highest speed. Negotiation should be highest speed first.
Game IPS – Clients still show as Mac addresses and not as IP or assigned name. Difficult to determine user this way when looking at security events. Issue since release of router.
Also causes intermittent reboots when manually adding an IP and description in the DHCP section.
Plus plenty of other issues.
Asus do monitor this forum apparently but have yet to see one of their Reps actually acknowledge that there are issues and take responsibility for originally releasing the router in a sub-standard state .
Rant END.

I went on and bought an 86u. I will add that I am not using it as a vpn server, which written above as a selling point for the gt-ac5300. I’ve read that the 86u is similar in terms of hw from Merlin.

I think if I dabble into VPN, I’ll tinker with something like an apu2, rpi3b+, or buy an older intel quad port pcie GbE nic and cobble together a server with an old pc build with a WAP (stupid op and power hungry).

I hope the next iteration of the ASUS spiders get more love (this gt-5300 experience made me a tad arachnophobic), but then again, I'm having fun with the idea of tinkering and making my own kickbutt router or adequate vpn server. Hopefully both happen! The 68u brought me here so still much love for ASUS midrange wireless routers. <3

Last edited:
So what router is recommended to replace this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you can live without advanced router functions such as VPN server/client features etc then go for the Linksys EA9500V2....which has basically the same hardware as the ROG GT-AC5300 but without the bugs.

So what router is recommended to replace this?

I'm thinking WatchGuard or the new Nighthawk. As for the ROG GT-AC5300, it turns out I bought the Square-trade extended warranty through Newegg. And I'm going to RMA the router as many times as it takes to get a refund. It's broken, does not work as advertised.

Last edited:
While I agree there maybe a lot of costs involved with this ROG router and as a company like ASUS they should have known better then to release a router like this.. Im sorry but after this nightmare of a router I may never buy another ASUS product again.. And as far as Merlin helping out with firmware for this that's not going to happen. At least that was the impression I got.. I would have sold this ROG router by now but I have a conscience.. I wouldn't pass this nightmare onto my worst enemy.. My only faults with this router was trusting ASUS and not doing my homework to see if this was going to be supported by Merlin or other software/firmware alike... Once again in my eyes ASUS should be ashamed... If ASUS would give me half the money back on this I would be the first in line to get rid of this.. Never again!

ASUS is dead to me, after decades of using nothing but ROG for everything. I personally would love to see someone take a class action lawsuit against them for knowingly selling a defective product and knowingly trying to deceive customers. No engineer anywhere would have looked at the router/software and said, yeah it's good, sell it. That's on corporate ASUS, also this site and others like it need to take some of the responsibility, I bought the POS after their glowing review.

Last edited:
Yes that is the issue that I am having at this time and I use ExpressVPN. I have not made it a default and every time I "activate" the VPN, the internet stops. Do you have any suggestions how to make this to work?

Thank you

Yes that is the issue that I am having at this time and I use ExpressVPN. I have not made it a default and every time I "activate" the VPN, the internet stops. Do you have any suggestions how to make this to work?

Thank you

Lots of people seem to have issues with expressVPN. I don’t have those issues with NordVPN or IPVanish.

ASUS is dead to me, after decades of using nothing but ROG for everything. I personally would love to see someone take a class action lawsuit against them for knowingly selling a defective product and knowingly trying to deceive customers. No engineer anywhere would have looked at the router/software and said, yeah it's good, sell it. That's on corporate ASUS, also this site and others like it need to take some of the responsibility, I bought the POS after their glowing review.
Well as sad as it is to say this but im also wiping my hands clean of this.. Im done.. Ive clearly seen the light and know when its time to say enough is enough.. There are several things ive learned about ASUS. There not the company that once was. And honestly they only thing that made them good was the fact one could use other firmware like Merlins. Once that option has been taken away this clearly shows how horrible the stock firmware is and there very lack of knowledge of creating good firmware. Even average firmware would be a bonus at this point. I hope any new buyers looking to purchase this router or the next one to take the place of this one take a close look at what there getting into.. Those of us that bought this one were the testers.. Theres noway this was tested in house for any length of time.. ASUS is going to take a hit on this one!

Thank you

What type of certificate file structure does ExpressVPN use?

Not sure but I tried NordVPN and it works quite well. From reading other discussion it appears that most users were able to downgrade from 21045 firmware version (most recent) to the 20648 one and were able to get ExpressVPN work. I tried it and that was the case. NordVPN works quite well with both at this time.

Hi guys, I posted this in another thread related to fluky WLAN and I would like to hear your opinion in the GT-AC5300 related thread.

I have recently bought the GT-AC5300 with a bargain and replaced RT-AC5300. I thought that more memory and CPU power cannot be bad for Smarthome legacy devices, which depend strongly on stability and performance of WLAN 2,4 GHz.
I have found out certain unpleasant differences, which I can't understand and solve so far:
1) 2,4GHz Wifi is unstable and its signal fluctuating from max to 1/3 strength in about 7-8 m through 1 brick wall. RT-AC5300 did not have this issue. 5GHz networks work fine.
2) TX power adjustment in the "professional" tab of wifi setting is not present and I even cannot check the power settings.
3) I set up everyday self-reboot, but I am not sure how it does reboot or whether it does at all?

FW is the latest and I set it up into AiMesh with AC68U after the reset to factory settings.
What would be a solution in your view:
1) Dig in the settings of WLAN, but it wont get the TX Power adjustment back anyway. Which settings to look at in particular?
2) I thought may be I got the US version with restricted TX power, but may be there is a chance to get it to EU version (change the region)?
3) Complain to Asus with sending the logs and try to solve as a warranty case.
4) sell the GT-AC5300 and get back to RT-AC5300, which worked stable for appr. 2 years.
5) Something else?

Thanks in advance

You can check the router's uptime in the "System Log" tab in the web UI. The app might have it also. Additionally, you can SSH login and use the "uptime" command.

I stopped buying Asus PC components and laptops in 2006 because they started making junk. I almost didn't buy this router for that reason, thinking it'd be different. I was wrong: it's junk and I wish I'd returned it. Asus is completely dead to me and my business. Custom firmware on your RT sounds best; it's what I would do in your shoes. This product still isn't fit for its particular purpose.

Downgrade to 648 firmware. The latest firmware is worse than garbage.

I would get the AC model back and put Merlin’s firmware on it.

Thanks for the advice. I have downgraded to 0648 as a first step after I got issues, assuming it's a FW issue. But the problem with the 2,4 GHz Wlan stability remains. It also refuses to connect to my Samsung A5.

You can check the router's uptime in the "System Log" tab in the web UI. The app might have it also. Additionally, you can SSH login and use the "uptime" command.
I looked there, but did not find anything I can understand. May be there is a certain set of lines to look at?

Actually, I used RT-AC5300 with Merlin FW for about two years and it worked great. I have just moved to the new house, where the single RT gives not enough Wifi coverage and I intended to use Aimesh.
Aimesh works, enough for surfing and movies. As I understand Aimesh depends on 5GHz connectivity, which works fine. The problem I see is purely in 2,4 GHz Wlan signal stability. I will send a feedback to Asus and maybe wait for the next FW update. If it does not help, I will sell the GT.

Last edited:
New Firmware up in the user interface. 3.0.0.4.384.21140

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_21140
- Release Note -

Bug fixed and Improvements:
- Fixed bugs.
- Improved system stability.

PS. I've never had one issue with mine. Everything works. Including VPN Fusion. Great router.

Last edited:
The problem I see is purely in 2,4 GHz Wlan signal stability. I will send a feedback to Asus and maybe wait for the next FW update. If it does not help, I will sell the GT.

Have you tried shutting off Airtime Fairness, MU-MIMO, and beam forming under Wireless>Professional in the Web GUI console?

Also, are you using 20 or 40mHz of channel bandwidth (you might want to lock in the 20mHz option).

Have you tried shutting off Airtime Fairness, MU-MIMO, and beam forming under Wireless>Professional in the Web GUI console?

Also, are you using 20 or 40mHz of channel bandwidth (you might want to lock in the 20mHz option).
Thanks for the advices. I will check it during the weekend (I am travelling now) and report here. I still hope that new FW may solve the issue.
Does anybody know why in my item the TX power adjustment in the "professional" tab is missing. It is described in all manuals for GT-AC5300 though?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!