What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (Owners)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Could you send feedback with system log, wifi log and configuration by Administration->Feedback in 21140 ?
arthurlien, that function doesn't work on my router either. That function is broken pretty much like the whole router is. Plus I have other issues where your router adds about 23ms latency to my whole network and it slowly creeps up until I do another reset. But this never gets fixed it repeats itself over and over.. Not to mention other issues like many have stated above. You want feedback..well heres some feedback for you.. This router is by far the worst product ive ever purchased. Several people that posted issues here in this post have moved on just like what im doing.. I can tell you this I will NO longer purchase any products from ASUS again and im sure many others are following the same suit. Your hardware may look impressive but your firmware is a utter mess. Next time you make a router make sure an alternate firmware can be used like merlins. Clearly you guys are not good at firmware.. If you guys have a buy back program let me know. I will be first inline.
Have a good day.

Mine works great! No problems and the firmware seems to get better each month. Maybe yours is defective...
I would have to agree. I did get mine early on and it seems more had issues then. My conclusion is I got a defective one. But im pretty much stuck with it. I have far to much time invested into this router to continue the fight. It was time for me to move on.. I am glad to hear yours is working well for you. I hope it treats you well.

I have to say, I recently bought the Netgear XR500 and the big daddy linksys router and I can say the performance is maybe equal to this router but much less functionality. There really isn't anything that will be an improvement if you need this much power.
I would have to agree. I did get mine early on and it seems more had issues then. My conclusion is I got a defective one. But im pretty much stuck with it. I have far to much time invested into this router to continue the fight. It was time for me to move on.. I am glad to hear yours is working well for you. I hope it treats you well.

Also whenever I update the firmware I always save settings, restore router, then i reload settings. I used to manually config after but have come to the conclusion that was just an OCD thing. When you save settings it isn't saving firmware or items in ram. Therefore when you reload it is only bringing back raw settings(only exception is if they change your choices for a specific setting).

Also whenever I update the firmware I always save settings, restore router, then i reload settings. I used to manually config after but have come to the conclusion that was just an OCD thing. When you save settings it isn't saving firmware or items in ram. Therefore when you reload it is only bringing back raw settings(only exception is if they change your choices for a specific setting).

Most peoples issues are resolved by doing the opposite from reading this thread. I think you have gotten lucky with restore, wish everyone else could. Some people change many settings within the router so I’m sure it’s all user dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you who have VPN clients set up with GT, do you have any devices set under the Exceptions tab? I am trying to set up my Bluray player so it connects to Internet only (bypasses VPN) but would like to have all other devices go through the VPN tunnel. I have tried both setups below:

1. Under the Server List tab I have activated the VPN tunnel but have left the Default connection bubble checked under Internet entry. The Internet entry shows that I am Connected. However, this setup requires me to enter each wireless device I own under the Exception List tab and connect them through VPN. There I also add my Bluray to connect through internet. This setup allows my player to connect to Internet but the entire process is very time consuming since I have to add each device and choose the VPN service for each of them.

2. Under the Server List tab I have activated the VPN tunnel but this time I have this entry's bubble checked as the Default (and not the Internet one). The Internet entry still shows that I am Connected. This works great because as soon as I activate the VPN all my devices connect to the tunnel without needing to be manually added to the Exception tab below. The problem is that my Bluray does not play well with the VPN so even when I add it under the Exception tab to access the Internet (same as in Setup 1), it doesn't connect to it no matter what...The other interesting thing is that when I use this setup I do notice that when my laptop is connected to VPN, all the websites I access seem to load a lot faster. Under the Setup 1, webpages take a lot longer to load.

Again, my Bluray connection problem is resolved in the Setup 1 but I so wished I could make this work under Setup 2 so I wouldn't have to manually add each device under Exception List and designate there on whether they need to connect to VPN or not. Plus, I feel that surfing the Internet is lot faster with Setup 2.

Any suggestion on how to makes this work under Setup 2? Or is the Setup 1 the only option to allow the Bluray player to access the Internet?

Thank you!

Setup 2 is how it should be setup if you want a majority of clients running through the VPN. I currently run your setup 2 and have a few devices in the exception list using just the internet. I did have to reboot the devices in the exception list to get them to initially run as expected.
For those of you who have VPN clients set up with GT, do you have any devices set under the Exceptions tab? I am trying to set up my Bluray player so it connects to Internet only (bypasses VPN) but would like to have all other devices go through the VPN tunnel. I have tried both setups below:

1. Under the Server List tab I have activated the VPN tunnel but have left the Default connection bubble checked under Internet entry. The Internet entry shows that I am Connected. However, this setup requires me to enter each wireless device I own under the Exception List tab and connect them through VPN. There I also add my Bluray to connect through internet. This setup allows my player to connect to Internet but the entire process is very time consuming since I have to add each device and choose the VPN service for each of them.

2. Under the Server List tab I have activated the VPN tunnel but this time I have this entry's bubble checked as the Default (and not the Internet one). The Internet entry still shows that I am Connected. This works great because as soon as I activate the VPN all my devices connect to the tunnel without needing to be manually added to the Exception tab below. The problem is that my Bluray does not play well with the VPN so even when I add it under the Exception tab to access the Internet (same as in Setup 1), it doesn't connect to it no matter what...The other interesting thing is that when I use this setup I do notice that when my laptop is connected to VPN, all the websites I access seem to load a lot faster. Under the Setup 1, webpages take a lot longer to load.

Again, my Bluray connection problem is resolved in the Setup 1 but I so wished I could make this work under Setup 2 so I wouldn't have to manually add each device under Exception List and designate there on whether they need to connect to VPN or not. Plus, I feel that surfing the Internet is lot faster with Setup 2.

Any suggestion on how to makes this work under Setup 2? Or is the Setup 1 the only option to allow the Bluray player to access the Internet?

Thank you!

Setup 2 is how it should be setup if you want a majority of clients running through the VPN. I currently run your setup 2 and have a few devices in the exception list using just the internet. I did have to reboot the devices in the exception list to get them to initially run as expected.

I did reboot several times but this good to know. I will try it again. Thanks much!

Most peoples issues are resolved by doing the opposite from reading this thread. I think you have gotten lucky with restore, wish everyone else could. Some people change many settings within the router so I’m sure it’s all user dependent.

It was an Asus engineer that told me it was a waste of time with manual setup. That being said it was them also that told me I should wipe the router 3 times to guarentee a clean restore( of the router not settings)

Also to clarify, if you manually setup the router with the exact settings that are stored in your config file you will get the same results. I know when I do a manual config it is because a setting is broken and when you manually config back you just live without the setting you want hence it works better. Just my personal experience and experiences can vary.

I did reboot several times but this good to know. I will try it again. Thanks much!

Marlin, one thing I forgot to mention, make sure you activate the exception and click apply. Should be a green check mark under the activate column. If you see a grey minus click it the apply.

Marlin, one thing I forgot to mention, make sure you activate the exception and click apply. Should be a green check mark under the activate column. If you see a grey minus click it the apply.

Yes definitely. Thanks again!

It was an Asus engineer that told me it was a waste of time with manual setup. That being said it was them also that told me I should wipe the router 3 times to guarentee a clean restore( of the router not settings)

Was this recommendation to do via “Restore” or “Initialize”? I am assuming “Initialize” would be best to use.

Was this recommendation to do via “Restore” or “Initialize”? I am assuming “Initialize” would be best to use.

Just restore. Initialize is a restore but includes the databases (logs etc)

5GHz-2 was not broadcasting even though it was showing on in the network map.
Started broadcasting after numerous router resets.

Do you use Smart Connect like Rolo?

I did, a year ago, have some problems with disconnects on 5gHz-2 but I never had it "disappear."

32738 seems to be running just fine for me.

This is the piece of advice that I really needed when I was first setting up outbound VPN. So as Maahfu, suggested, make sure the default server is your outbound VPN provider and it is Activated. Make sure you activate each of the client exceptions (and that they have fixed IP addresses) and then make sure you click apply. I thought clicking Activate (by itself) would do something. I realized that this configuration screen is very picky. The VPN connection has to be established first. Then the exceptions have to be activated. And you have to click Apply each time.

Do you use Smart Connect like Rolo?

I did, a year ago, have some problems with disconnects on 5gHz-2 but I never had it "disappear."

32738 seems to be running just fine for me.
No smart connect.
Read some issues of 5G-2 disappearing for up to 30 mins after a upgrade, then reappearing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!