What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 finally announced

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What’s the best position for them?
Vertical is ideal for most scenarios when you are covering a single floor. At an angle if covering multiple floors.

There is no 100% foolproof position however, you need to experiment based on your specific environment.

Picture comparing GT-AX6000 vs AX86 (Link to DongKnows Picture)

Wow! I truly had no idea how much larger this router is compared to my puny (yet capable) AC86. Concern has now set in on how bad the AXE16000 is going to be conceived by The Wife, and are these darn things going to fit on the shelf of my "media closet"?

I'm interested in mounting this ugly thing on a wall, because it would be mostly unseen in a closet. Is it possible for the antennas to be somewhat "vertical enough" in this position?

So big... is it all plastic or the

Wow! I truly had no idea how much larger this router is compared to my puny (yet capable) AC86. Concern has now set in on how bad the AXE16000 is going to be conceived by The Wife, and are these darn things going to fit on the shelf of my "media closet"?
Should be ok if the wifi is a lot better. But from the smallnetbuilder testing I've seen in the past size does not necessarily mean it performs better. So wish all these were reviewed on smallnetbuilder as his tests have always been spot on..

I'm interested in mounting this ugly thing on a wall, because it would be mostly unseen in a closet. Is it possible for the antennas to be somewhat "vertical enough" in this position?
There are mounting holes underneath it.

Just got it delivered. This router is MASSIVE, compared to anything else I’ve seen up close. It definitely dwarfs the AC68U :) The antennas are installed and hand tightened securely. What’s the best position for them? Vertical or the next notch down, that puts them in a bit of an angle? I’ll set it up later, because I don’t want to take the network down just yet.

Have played with the antennas a bit. We have a two-story house, which hasn't been a problem. Started with all the antennas vertical. Stayed with that for a while, then tried the back two vertical and the front two at the angle that the antennas click into. That was better for me. Then I tried all antennas at that angle, and that has been the best so far. That's where they are set now. I expect that this will vary with a lot of house-specific conditions...like wi-fi config in general, empirical.

From RMerlin's postings, I'm getting that he has one...hope springs eternal *smile*.

Last edited:
Have played with the antennas a bit. We have a two-story house, which hasn't been a problem. Started with all the antennas vertical. Stayed with that for a while, then tried the back two vertical and the front two at the first angle. That was better for me. Then I tried all antennas at the first angle available, and that has been the best so far. That's where they are set now. I expect that this will vary with a lot of house-specific conditions...like most wi-fi things, empirical.

Despite the logic of tilted antennas \ | / for multi-level coverage (which is required), and straight antennas | | | for level coverage, I get my strongest wireless backhauls (both nodes are on the same level) when the antennas are tilted. I'm thinking beam forming might work better with tilted radio patterns(?). But what do I know.

Here's another weird one... I temporarily switched my 2.4 WLANs from 20 to 40 MHz bw... the 2.4 backhaul RSSI improved about +6dBm and the Tx rate about doubled (of course)... AND the 5.0 backhaul RSSI also improved about +6dBm and the Tx rate improved accordingly to better than ever, but not double of course, still at 80MHz bw. I guess it all depends on how the RF electronics operate.

OE

Those are 'trick' camera shots. They're not that different as the image may hint at (or our brains processes the image as).

So big... is it all plastic or the

Should be ok if the wifi is a lot better. But from the smallnetbuilder testing I've seen in the past size does not necessarily mean it performs better. So wish all these were reviewed on smallnetbuilder as his tests have always been spot on..

The beast is all setup. The coverage and speed improvement on my 330 Mbps Internet connection is noticeable. I decided against of making my old AC-68U a mesh node. I think it’s time for that router to retire for good. Instead I’ll be purchasing an RT-AX86U as a backhaul mesh node at the opposite side of the house. The ASUS firmware is fairly easy to setup and my VPN is up and running. Overall, so far, I’m satisfied with the router. I decided on the open antenna configuration, because our house is multilevel.

Attachments

• B32224C3-7214-41A9-AF8E-605F1979AEF4.jpeg
    B32224C3-7214-41A9-AF8E-605F1979AEF4.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 459
  • 02B0E301-347F-4CC3-B3D8-A85A31BCA814.jpeg
    02B0E301-347F-4CC3-B3D8-A85A31BCA814.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 453
La bestia está preparada. Se nota la mejora de cobertura y velocidad en mi conexión a Internet de 330 Mbps. Decidí no hacer de mi viejo AC-68U un nodo de malla. Creo que es hora de que ese enrutador se retire para siempre. En cambio, compraré un RT-AX86U como un nodo de malla de backhaul en el lado opuesto de la casa. El firmware de ASUS es bastante fácil de configurar y mi VPN está funcionando. En general, hasta ahora, estoy satisfecho con el enrutador. Me decidí por la configuración de antena abierta, porque nuestra casa es multinivel.
me podrias decir si la vpn tiene mas velocidad de descarga que la ax86u o cambiar mi ax86u por gt-ax6000

me podrias decir si la vpn tiene mas velocidad de descarga que la ax86u o cambiar mi ax86u por gt-ax6000
could you tell me if the VPN has more download speed than the ax86u or to change my ax86u for ax6000
The beast is all setup. The coverage and speed improvement on my 330 Mbps Internet connection is noticeable. I decided against of making my old AC-68U a mesh node. I think it’s time for that router to retire for good. Instead I’ll be purchasing an RT-AX86U as a backhaul mesh node at the opposite side of the house. The ASUS firmware is fairly easy to setup and my VPN is up and running. Overall, so far, I’m satisfied with the router. I decided on the open antenna configuration, because our house is multilevel.
could you tell me if the VPN has more download speed than the ax86u or to change my ax86u for ax6000

I don’t have the AX-86U yet, so I couldn’t compare for you. I will be purchasing it though and make it a Mesh backhaul node.

could you tell me how much speed on vpn you get with your new router?

To answer my own question, the antennas can be made to point reasonably vertical (two point up, two point down) when this router is wall mounted.

I noticed manually assigned IP addresses of the GT-AX6000 are limited to 64, while somewhere along the line the RT-AX86U had that limit upped to 128.

could you tell me how much speed on vpn you get with your new router?
I guess you’re talking about the number on the upper left corner? 163.2kb/sec? Is that it? I never payed attention to it. Here’s another one with 468.1kb/sec. I’m using the OpenVPN choice BTW.

Attachments

• 4188169A-7949-4DFC-A3BF-14BD7426339F.jpeg
    4188169A-7949-4DFC-A3BF-14BD7426339F.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 150
  • 4418890F-6374-456B-B9CF-FCC605C3E86F.jpeg
    4418890F-6374-456B-B9CF-FCC605C3E86F.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I have completed wall mounting this router next to my other wall-mounted gear. It is secure but looks over-the-top ridiculous, even for a walk-in closet. The antennas are just so comically chunky, huge and overdone.

Keeping all my network devices wall mounted together seemed ideal, but I'll probably put this further away on a high shelf.

I have completed wall mounting this router next to my other wall-mounted gear. It is secure but looks over-the-top ridiculous, even for a walk-in closet. The antennas are just so comically chunky, huge and overdone.

Keeping all my network devices wall mounted together seemed ideal, but I'll probably put this further away on a high shelf.

Yes, I have mine way up on a high shelf, but it's an eyesore at any height. Good thing that it works as well as it does, or I wouldn't have it on any shelf *smile*.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!