What's new

ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 finally announced

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was initially waiting on the ROG AXE1600 but didn’t feel the cost was worth it considering how few 6E devices are out there (none in my household yet) and with other AXE routers surely on the way in the near future - so I picked up the ROG AX6000.

a) did I make the proper call (or should I have held out for the upcoming AXE1600)?

b) is using RMerlin f/w a must on the AX6000 - or should I stick with stock Asus f/w?
Funny you mention this as I was in the same boat. The final argument that pushed me towards the AX6000 was the fact that the value-add from the 16000 didn't seem equivalent (for my use case, anyways) to what I'm expecting to be double the price. That Merlin is available now for the 6000 is icing on the cake - and here's my specific example: I couldn't for the life of me get VPN Fusion to work on the stock firmware. I get that it's supposed to be a kinda-sorta analogue to VPN Director, but it's got a far clunkier UI and I think some of the hidden attributes that Director exposes are needed for my situation.

Bird in the hand, as they say! No complaints here.

The answer is (always), 'soonish'. :)

But it will depend on your location and number of units available locally/online, vs. other frenzied buyers chomping at the bit too, world-wide.
Amazon had it briefly listed for order for 649 (no ETA). saw it posted on the ROG site for 649 and then a day later for 699 (no option to buy only to notify when available)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Z792WWF/?tag=snbforums-20

Forgive my cluelessness, but whats the difference(s) between Qualcomm vs Broadcomm based router??

RMerlin doesn't touch Qualcomm-based routers (yet), so that makes the Broadcom/Asus combo's the one to consider (for me).

I’m not overly impressed yet: lower speeds, higher latency (19-20ms instead of 13-15ms)
limited and instable range. Spend hours on testing the bands, but even when not fighting over freqs the performance is mediocre at best.
my RT-AC5300 is the better AC router and my AX86u the better wifi 6 router.
the 2.5gb mesh backhaul works, but that’s about the only positive thing I can think off.
to top things off. The 386.6 branch is different than the 352.2, which means that half of the entware dependent AMTM scripts don’t work, as they need updating.
Not impressed so far. I hoped for the AX version of the AC5300, which served me well for the last 5 years. But it’s nothing like that. (Yet….)

RMerlin doesn't touch Qualcomm-based routers (yet), so that makes the Broadcom/Asus combo's the one to consider (for me).
It should be noted a router being Broadcom-based does not guarantee Merlin support.

Last edited:
The upgrade from AC86 to AX6000 as our Main has been significant in terms of performance, and I am eagerly awaiting "Like New" returns to Amazon, so I can get another AX6000 for an AP.

My AX6000 Is Great!
The REAL Problem: I failed to provide proper exhaust ventilation to the media closet, and have the door open, which has caused an issue with The Wife, regarding fan noise and lights.
Issue Solved - I close the door when The Wife is home, and will install proper exhaust ventilation to media closet. I thought better about trying to convince The Wife I need to put a glass door or cut in a view pane.
Although, the AXE16000 may require looking at Mirrored Top

EDIT:
"If The Internet Is Down, We Will Let You Know"" - The Wife
:p:):):)

Would another GT-AX6000 as an AP have any advantage versus something like an Asus RT-AX86U?
Only if you are going to use both 2.5G ports at the AP location. A wired 2.5G PC and a 2.5G wired backhaul to the other GT-AX6000 for example. Otherwise save the $120 difference.

Would another GT-AX6000 as an AP have any advantage versus something like an Asus RT-AX86U?
Or even the RT-AX86S ... If the pricing for that didn't look like it's EOL!

New "special edition version...
No, this is sadly not a joke and at least locally, it has a price premium of about US$67 over the "plain" version.
h732

New "special edition version...
No, this is sadly not a joke and at least locally, it has a price premium of about US$67 over the "plain" version.
They have EVA motherboards too!
pic_surface.png

Don't like the antennas on this box. These antennas are bulky and less maneuverable. The antenna connectors are not as durable as other models either. They can fall apart.

I put RT-AX88U antennas on instead. AX 160Mhz top out, no problems. I hang it vertically on the all in a closet, out of site. The RT-AX88U antennas are better for vertical mounts.

Merlin flashed.

Last edited:
Don't like the antennas on this box. These antennas are bulky and less maneuverable. The antenna connectors are not as durable as other models either. They can fall apart.
If someone has one of these antennas that has fallen apart, any chance of posting some photos. I'm interested to see the antenna to plastic housing ratio!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!