What's new

RP-AC68U experience and minor problems found

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FTC

Hello,

I recently purchased the subject repeater RP-AC68U (real cheap, second hand) to use it as a repeater near my TV set and communicating in expressway 5Ghz mode to my RT-AC3200 for high speed comms and being able to feed data to several electronics (PVR, IPTV deco, XBOX...) thanks to its integrated switch. In general terms I am quite happy. Performance is solid and high speed, but I've found several nits. I am working with latest firmware for the RP-AC68U : 3.0.0.4.382.10513. Has anyone found this problems before ? is there any way to circumvent them ?

- 1) The apply button of the 'IPTV' tab in the LAN section of the GUI does not work (does nothing), so I can not enable IGMP proxy to make my IPTV comms more efficient. (and probably related to not being able to detect the DLNA servers of my network some times)

- 2) I have setup a wifi schedule so that the 'repeated' wifi signal is switched off during the nights. It seems like this is not working properly and some times not switching off wifi when it should.

- 3) There is no way in firmware to see if the wifi signal is up or down..

- 4) There is no way to identify in the clients list which clients are in fact connected to the 68U or to the 3200. It seems like showing all clients for which any kind of traffic passes through the 68U

Does someone have any news on a future firmware that may fix those ?

Last edited:
Hi, just for future reference, I will comment a bit on the progress I've made with the above reported problems.

For 1) (IPTV submit button not working), you can at least gain the same functionality with the appropriate nvram command and a repeater reboot,
- Variable "dr_enable_x" , values 0,1,2,3 to change dhcp routes (none/microsoft/rfc/rfc&microsoft)
- Variable "mr_enable", values 0 or 1, to disable/enable igmp proxy (multicast routing)
- Variable "emf_enable", values 0 or 1, to disable/enable igmp snoopoing, and
- Variable udpx_enable_x, value is port number, to enable UDP proxy.

So, as a sample if you want to enable igmp proxy, run the command "nvram set mr_enable=1" and "nvram commit" in the repeater console and afterwards reboot the repeater

For 2) I have found out that if you leave the repeater alone in normal circumstances the scheduler works ok, so the bypass is really just to reboot the repeater once you are happy with whatever changes you have made.

For 3) You either have a different SSID and scan for it, or just use something like INSSIDER to see if the signal is being repeated.

For 4) Well, you can identify clients that are in the RP68's GUI and are not in your network list in the router.. not the best solution and a bit complicated, but it works.

So, all in all I am beginning to be quite happy with the repeater, once I learned hoy to circunvent these minor faults.

I found different faults with my units

Mine works well , now using as a bridge , getting great speeds , transfer rates , no dropped connections

Your lucky I had the first generation until they Bricked them selves due to me being sent the wrong power adapters, I recovered both then the second time my friend recovered one but the other is still In a loop.

Your lucky I had the first generation until they Bricked them selves due to me being sent the wrong power adapters, I recovered both then the second time my friend recovered one but the other is still In a loop.
What are the ratings for the good power adapter . I just recieved mine 3 weeks ago , a factory refurb , want to make sure they sent the right power adapter , don't want it to screw up because of a wrong adapter

It has to match the ones on the unit, it self, the current and voltage must match the units.

Last edited:
The power adapter must have the same connector diameter and voltage rating. Its current capability can be the same or large than the router's requirements.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!