What's new

RT-AC 68P overclock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clouless

Occasional Visitor
I need a simple tuto to overclock the asus Ac68P(1Ghz version Broadcom BCM4709) with Merlin firmware in order to achieve better VPN performance and above all a guide to unbrick the Router in case something goes wrong!

nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit
reboot

nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit
reboot

Excuse my ignorance but inside merlin fmw where do I find the windows cmd to enter the changes or should I use Telnet?

Yes, Telnet or SSH.

Yes, Telnet or SSH.
I succeeded, temp is ok still around 76 -77 C but with a HD connected inUSB3 the CPU one core goes to the 100% the other around 80% and it using all the Ram not sure why it does that. When I disconnect the Drive everything is normal
other question how high can I go? do you think 1400 is safe since the temp is kind of low?

EDIT
The problem is only with a particular disk got repaired by windows was ok at 1Ghz anyway with an other drive I do not get this issue but I am still curious about the max frequency for overclocking ?

Last edited:
Yes you will be able to set 1400,800 but not sure if you will get it stable, give it a try.

That specific case you are talking about doesnt have any relationship with the overclock.

I succeeded, temp is ok still around 76 -77 C but with a HD connected inUSB3 the CPU one core goes to the 100% the other around 80% and it using all the Ram not sure why it does that. When I disconnect the Drive everything is normal
other question how high can I go? do you think 1400 is safe since the temp is kind of low?

EDIT
The problem is only with a particular disk got repaired by windows was ok at 1Ghz anyway with an other drive I do not get this issue but I am still curious about the max frequency for overclocking ?

I've already seen what you're describing. It should stop itself passed some minutes. I guess the router is triggering auto filesystem check when you plug the HDD, moreover if you have previously switched off the router or pluged off the hard drive without umounting.

Regarding to OC, risk of cpu damage is negligible since there's no overvoltage. You may try to make a stress test to ensure stability and reasonable temps (i.e. check md5 hash of a large file in a loop).

I've already seen what you're describing. It should stop itself passed some minutes. I guess the router is triggering auto filesystem check when you plug the HDD, moreover if you have previously switched off the router or pluged off the hard drive without umounting.

Regarding to OC, risk of cpu damage is negligible since there's no overvoltage. You may try to make a stress test to ensure stability and reasonable temps (i.e. check md5 hash of a large file in a loop).

Yes I guess it happened at the reboot process since the drive was connected.
I will try later to increase the clock around 1300 or 1400 but so far I am pretty happy with the result and I did appreciate everybody help.