What's new

Rt-ac3100 very strange Ethernet port issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tanmay

New Around Here
Hello,
I recently upgraded my internet speed from 100/100 mbit to 300/300.
That prompted me to do a speedtest and no matter what, I couldn't get more than 50mbps download, as if it was bottlenecked at 50.

My setup is:
Fibre optic Att Modem is set to passthrough mode, assigning public IP to the router, connected at 1gbps, which is then connected to a gigabit switch connected to devices all over the home. Multiple wireless devices also Connect to the router. Also have an access point hardwired to the router and both devices were on Merlin's latest fw.

To pin point the issue, I've tried the following so far:
1. speed test from my PC, connected via 50' cat5e at 1gbps also restricted to 50mbps (used to be 100 the last time I checked)
2. 2.4 and 5ghz, on any device also limited to <50mbps
3. Connected a laptop directly to the router with cat 5e at 1gbps also restricted to 50.
4. Disconnected all devices from router and unplugged all hard drives, still <50.
5. Replaced cables between modem and router, same result.
6. laptop connected directly to modem gives 300-400 Mbps with the same cable that I tested with router.
7. Got frustrated and did a factory reset on the router, same results.
8. Got more frustrated lol, and did a 30-30-30 reset. Router went into recovery mode, used Asus restore utility, reflashed and still got the same results.
9. Disconnected the access point and connected it directly to the modem. Test results back in the 300mbps range
10. Flashed Asus stock firmware on the router and access point. Same results.
11. Setup aimesh and still get <50mbps no matter what Port I try on the router.

So I'm almost certain that there's some internal issue with my router and it's beginning to die.

Would appreciate any inputs that you may have to test it further or a fix I may have missed.

Thank you!

Hello,
I recently upgraded my internet speed from 100/100 mbit to 300/300.
That prompted me to do a speedtest and no matter what, I couldn't get more than 50mbps download, as if it was bottlenecked at 50.

My setup is:
Fibre optic Att Modem is set to passthrough mode, assigning public IP to the router, connected at 1gbps, which is then connected to a gigabit switch connected to devices all over the home. Multiple wireless devices also Connect to the router. Also have an access point hardwired to the router and both devices were on Merlin's latest fw.

To pin point the issue, I've tried the following so far:
1. speed test from my PC, connected via 50' cat5e at 1gbps also restricted to 50mbps (used to be 100 the last time I checked)
2. 2.4 and 5ghz, on any device also limited to <50mbps
3. Connected a laptop directly to the router with cat 5e at 1gbps also restricted to 50.
4. Disconnected all devices from router and unplugged all hard drives, still <50.
5. Replaced cables between modem and router, same result.
6. laptop connected directly to modem gives 300-400 Mbps with the same cable that I tested with router.
7. Got frustrated and did a factory reset on the router, same results.
8. Got more frustrated lol, and did a 30-30-30 reset. Router went into recovery mode, used Asus restore utility, reflashed and still got the same results.
9. Disconnected the access point and connected it directly to the modem. Test results back in the 300mbps range
10. Flashed Asus stock firmware on the router and access point. Same results.
11. Setup aimesh and still get <50mbps no matter what Port I try on the router.

So I'm almost certain that there's some internal issue with my router and it's beginning to die.

Would appreciate any inputs that you may have to test it further or a fix I may have missed.

Thank you!

What AT&T GW do you have?

Do you know if At&t did a firmware upgrade on your GW?? I also have at&t fiber 1000 down and up. A few months back they released a FW update and it messed everything up on people who use the 5268ac GW.

Do you know if At&t did a firmware upgrade on your GW?? I also have at&t fiber 1000 down and up. A few months back they released a FW update and it messed everything up on people who use the 5268ac GW.
They might have. I had to restart the modem after the speed upgrade was done.
Do you think tests 6,9 suggest that the modem is working fine?
For reference, the access point mentioned is rt-ac68.
One thing I haven't done, is factory reset the modem. Perhaps I should try that in case some setting is limiting speeds for the MAC associated with my ac3100??

Thanks for your help.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online