What's new

RT-AC3200 can't configure WDS to RT-AX88U using Router Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kanuki

Occasional Visitor
Hi.. Guys..

I just purchased RT-AX88U to replace RT-AC3200 as the main router
and tried to configure RT-AC3200 (Router Mode) as WDS but they can't connect to each other.

Here is the detail
- RT-AX88U Dual Band (384.12 Beta 1) - Single SSID
- RT-AC3200 Tri-Band (384.12 Beta 1) - Same Single SSID
- Security = WPA2-Personal AES

RT-AC3200 2.4GHz --WDS--> RT-AX88U 2.4GHz - Hybrid Mode
RT-AC3200 5.0GHz-1 and 5.0GHz-2 --WDS--> RT-AX88U 5GHz - Hybrid Mode

I've also tried to WDS only one single band also not success.

but it only can work if I configure RT-AC3200 using Bridge Mode.

Any idea?

WDS belongs in a museum:

Code:
Note:The function only support [Open System/NONE, Open System/WEP] security authentication method.

I'm surprised Asus hasn't removed the option yet.

Hi.. Guys..

I just purchased RT-AX88U to replace RT-AC3200 as the main router
and tried to configure RT-AC3200 (Router Mode) as WDS but they can't connect to each other.

Here is the detail
- RT-AX88U Dual Band (384.12 Beta 1) - Single SSID
- RT-AC3200 Tri-Band (384.12 Beta 1) - Same Single SSID
- Security = WPA2-Personal AES

RT-AC3200 2.4GHz --WDS--> RT-AX88U 2.4GHz - Hybrid Mode
RT-AC3200 5.0GHz-1 and 5.0GHz-2 --WDS--> RT-AX88U 5GHz - Hybrid Mode

I've also tried to WDS only one single band also not success.

but it only can work if I configure RT-AC3200 using Bridge Mode.

Any idea?

WDS has no encryption. You are better off setting up the 2nd rt-ac3200 in repeater mode. Even Aimesh would be better than wds.

WDS belongs in a museum:

Code:
Note:The function only support [Open System/NONE, Open System/WEP] security authentication method.

I'm surprised Asus hasn't removed the option yet.
WDS has no encryption. You are better off setting up the 2nd rt-ac3200 in repeater mode. Even Aimesh would be better than wds.

oic... Thanks.. guys..

Actually I've read about it but I've also tested TP-Link Archer C1200 as WDS+WPA2 AES with
my RT-AC3200 and it's work but it's not quite stable because I used unreleased beta firmware
hidden function. so I thought that maybe they've already found the way to implement it.

oic... Thanks.. guys..

Actually I've read about it but I've also tested TP-Link Archer C1200 as WDS+WPA2 AES with
my RT-AC3200 and it's work but it's not quite stable because I used unreleased beta firmware
hidden function. so I thought that maybe they've already found the way to implement it.

WDS requires a fixed key to work (by default, WPA2 regularly rotates its key). Some proprietary implementations are able to use pseudo-WPA2 by disabling key rotation among other things, which more or less downgrades WPA2 into WPA1 in terms of security, and will also only work with other compatible implementations. Still not a good idea...