What's new

RT-AC3200 Current Official Firmware Thread (3.0.0.4.382.50624, 180601)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For longer-range connections, it should be connecting STAs to 2.4 GHz rather than 5; but even when 2.4 GHz is at -75ish and 5 GHz is at -95ish it still insists on connecting the STA to 5 GHz.

There's also a load-balancing option which should, but does not, utilize the 2.4 GHz radio when several STAs are connected, regardless of RSSI.

@Jim Salter
And this only happens when you turn band steering on? What happens if you leave it off? Also, have you tried using Smart Connect? Which firmware version are you experiencing this on?

I know there’ve been reports of 2.4Ghz issues, just trying to determine if it’s a band steering problem or other driver issues.

Band steering and "Smart Connect" are the same thing. Without either turned on, you have separate SSIDs for the separate radios, and of course you can join the 2.4 GHz SSID just fine.

There are two behavior algorithms for the band steering, one RSSI based and one load balancing based. Neither appear to work.

Most current firmware as of about a week ago.

of course you can join the 2.4 GHz SSID just fine.

Seems like you’re experiencing something else then. There are others with problems connecting to their 2.4Ghz even with Smart Connect turned off.

I know you’re testing devices for a review so this might not be as convenient, but maybe try the one released today? Though I’m not confident that that will solve your problem, not seeing any related fixes in the changelog..

Without either turned on, you have separate SSIDs for the separate radios

You can have band steering turned off and set all radios to the same SSID..

Did you actually try turning band steering off or just rejected that suggestion on principle?

Can anybody confirm whether the lastest firmware (3.0.0.4.382.50624) has eradicated the 2.4g channel 'incorrect password' issue of build 3.0.0.4.382.50010 which stopped devices from connecting please?

I'm currently on 3.0.0.4.382.19466 but this is almost 6 months old now and doesn't include a lot of the vulnerability fixes of course.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Can anybody confirm whether the lastest firmware (3.0.0.4.382.50624) has eradicated the 2.4g channel 'incorrect password' issue of build 3.0.0.4.382.50010 which stopped devices from connecting please?

I'm currently on 3.0.0.4.382.19466 but this is almost 6 months old now and doesn't include a lot of the vulnerability fixes of course.

Thanks!

There’s been multiple reports that the latest has restored their 2.4 Ghz to sanity. I mean if it doesn’t work out (which I doubt would happen) you can just easily downgrade.

FWIW, this is not an isolated issue for 3200; others like 88U, 3100 are affected as well, and their latest releases have also solved the 2.4 issue.

Last edited:
Thanks KFP! :)

To confirm, I've now updated to Version 3.0.0.4.382.50624 and everything seems to be working as expected for me.

No incorrect password issues and nothing else of particular note causing any problem.

Thanks

Lee
:)

Reactions: kfp
Thanks for sharing your experiences with latest fw guys! I finally went for it myself.
Been jumping between official and Merlin, but I think I'm going to stay on the official one for a good while now.

Reactions: kfp
Guys just got my RT AC3200 yesterday, any suggestions?

Current Firmware: 3.0.0.4.380_3479-g683f27a

I see that there's an update: Version 3.0.0.4.382.50624 released on 2018/06/01.

Should I do this leap of faith?

Meanwhile, until writing this I read all the replies on this thread and it seems there are lot of problems related to firmware upgrade.

Currently, I am facing no problems with 2.4Ghz channel, covers really a large area around my building and outside nearby neighborhood too, and 5Ghz signal is also acceptable for near devices.

My query is that should I upgrade to the latest version and I ask fellow users who have already upgraded to the latest version, what are your experiences with the 50624 version of the firmware.

Can a firmware downgradation can be done at any point of time if I come across a problem?

My Usage:
  • Simple Sharing of Modem's Internet Connection
  • Heavy use of VPN services with the router
  • Getting Maximum Range Possible with both frequencies
  • Having the router powered on like forever 24x7 except for mega powercuts.
  • Devices will be about 7-8.
  • QOS for Gaming and Streaming
  • Use of DDNS
What are your review on Asuswrt-Merlin, Is it any better or different than asuswrt ?

What are your review on Asuswrt-Merlin, Is it any better or different than asuswrt ?

You should update to the latest whether you stay stock or Merlin, there are security issues that are fixed in the latest version for both.

If you are just going to “set it and forget it” you probably won’t notice much difference, but if you want to tinker, Merlin gives you more control.

One downside of Merlin is that it does not support AiMesh. And yea downgrades are fine.

You should update to the latest whether you stay stock or Merlin, there are security issues that are fixed in the latest version for both.

If you are just going to “set it and forget it” you probably won’t notice much difference, but if you want to tinker, Merlin gives you more control.

One downside of Merlin is that it does not support AiMesh. And yea downgrades are fine.

Thanks for this. Yeah have updated to the latest version that I mentioned and seems I have no problem and this version is very stable for my usage scenario. However VPN connection dropped few times, i wonder if that's the provider specific.

For now I dont use AiMesh as I only have one Asus Router, however in future planning to get a Asus DSL Router. I think i might use it then.

Then again my house isnt that big that i would use Ai Mesh.

However 5GHz radios are weak, they lose a lot even in an annexed room.

Just installed 50624 and 2.4G seems to be working!

Thanks for the update. About 2.4G the strength that am getting is really worth noting. 3 Storey building, and the on middle floor, 2.4Ghz cover 130-160 meter radius around my home and when there are too much interference the strength is still moderate at 50-60m radius. Guess maybe because the device is new, and though I still haven't placed in a very optimal position and they are too many devices in my neighborhood at 2.4G, if I use it as an AP. Still works decently. Guess this was worth the upgrade.

Guys just got my RT AC3200 yesterday, any suggestions?

Current Firmware: 3.0.0.4.380_3479-g683f27a

I see that there's an update: Version 3.0.0.4.382.50624 released on 2018/06/01.

Should I do this leap of faith?

Meanwhile, until writing this I read all the replies on this thread and it seems there are lot of problems related to firmware upgrade.

Currently, I am facing no problems with 2.4Ghz channel, covers really a large area around my building and outside nearby neighborhood too, and 5Ghz signal is also acceptable for near devices.

My query is that should I upgrade to the latest version and I ask fellow users who have already upgraded to the latest version, what are your experiences with the 50624 version of the firmware.

Can a firmware downgradation can be done at any point of time if I come across a problem?

My Usage:
  • Simple Sharing of Modem's Internet Connection
  • Heavy use of VPN services with the router
  • Getting Maximum Range Possible with both frequencies
  • Having the router powered on like forever 24x7 except for mega powercuts.
  • Devices will be about 7-8.
  • QOS for Gaming and Streaming
  • Use of DDNS
Id stay with what you have or Merlin 380.70 , if you move to 384 which has problems on the 2.4 radio you are stuck with 384 , no going back to the 380.70 FW . I'd stay until all the problems with the 2.4 radio are solved for good .

I was on 50470 previously and there's a bug in that firmware that broke the built-in firmware update check. I had to upgrade manually to 50624.

The release notes for 50624 say "Fixed IPv6 bugs". Anyone know what was fixed?

How in the heck do I delete offline clients? In chrome I delete every offline client with the x next to each one and the list repopulates with the same entries...

If you're in the router GUI, did you click on 'Apply' then logout and/or reboot the router? Sometimes it helps. If that fails you may have to reset and rebuild your settings manually following the screenshots you make when you change things. If you recently updated but did a dirty flash and didn't reset everything manually, then check out the recommendations for post upgrading in the wiki. Cheers.