What's new

RT-AC66R wifi range issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cleanfreak

New Around Here
Greetings from a new member-
I recently purchased the above unit with the expectations of a wifi range up to 250' on the 2.4 band. I am currently only getting about 50' max and this is with "super power supply 9dBi" antennas.

This is really no better than my old Linksys e1500 that was sitting inside of a closed cabinet.

My current firmware is 3.0.0.4.374_5517

I have tweaked some of the settings I found in the forum with not much change.

Any help in troubleshooting this issue?

Will the latest greatest Merlin firmware fix the issue?

cheers
cf

Have you tried Merlins firmware?

Recently ive got this router as well, and no issues with WiFi (Ranges), but, first thing i did is flashed it with Merlin's firmeware, didn't even try stock.

Good luck.

250' is what you will get out in the middle of the field.

Once its inside the house and inside the closet, then the structure and materials of your house will reduce the distance in to oblivion.

I have not tried the Merlin firmware, but I just may do this tonight to see if it helps.

I have read most reviews state this router had no issues through walls, etc, and even some reached up to 500' distances and from house to house. I am not saying this is what I need or expected, so I was thinking about half that distance.

I just cannot believe this router can only produce the same 50' distance as my 5 year old E1500, and it has these 9dBi 15" antennas to help.

Something is definitely wrong.......

Faulty router or your house walls are made out of lead.

disable beamforming, it does more harm then good.

use factory antennas for now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!