What's new

RT-AC68P - can't login thru GUI after password change

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

festus77

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, I'm not sure what happened here. Last night I changed my password thru the GUI, but am now unable to login. I have tried rebooting. The password change was done via a copy and paste from 1Password, so I know it is correct. I am still able to get in via SSH using a key pair. Nothing else seems affected. I don't really want to do a factory reset if I can avoid it. I am not sure exactly what version I am on, but I updated about 4 weeks ago. If this info can be retrieved via the command line, please help me out. Oh, and is there a way to just to change my password from busybox without really figuring out what went wrong?

Thanks so much

Turn off the router for a few minutes and then start it up and wait for it to fully boot up.

You may also want to try another browser and possibly also clear it's cache and reboot the computer you're trying to access the router from too.

Thanks L&LD - but no success. Powered off the router for 20 minutes, cleared cache from Chrome browser, rebooted Macbook Pro (Yosemite), and then powered on router and waited 10 minutes. Tried again from Chrome and Firefox (using both the 5GHz & 2.4GHz wireless . No go.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
festus

Are you typing or pasting the password and user name?

I've seen issues with pasting where it added a space or other character at the end.

Also, if you have a password manager active (like LastPass), it can sometimes get confused and fill in bad data at the last minute. Need to disable the router address in the manager....

This doesn't work whether I type or copy/paste or let 1Password auto-fill. Not getting anywhere, so I thought I'd try using this:

/usr/sbin/chpasswd.sh root_name:root_new_password

Same outcome. Shouldn't that have changed the pw?

Thanks,
festus

chrome is well known to insert names and passwords in wrong fields. i got screwed up many times using chrome to configure my routers.
could the username have been erroneously filled in on a differnt screen? (ie, no longer root or admin)?

Yes, use a different browser to test too.

This doesn't work whether I type or copy/paste or let 1Password auto-fill. Not getting anywhere, so I thought I'd try using this:

/usr/sbin/chpasswd.sh root_name:root_new_password

Same outcome. Shouldn't that have changed the pw?

Thanks,
festus

I see you are getting in with SSH using a key pair....so

nvram get http_username
nvram get http_passwd

will give you the username and password in clear text.

Solved

John9527 - EXCELLENT - most useful to know

turns out that the password manager had inserted a space a the beginning of the password, and all of my feeble attempts had been to look for errant characters at the end.

Thanks so much,
festus

Glad to help out......I really should have included this in my response as well

Entering

echo \"$(nvram get http_passwd)\"

will enclose the result in quotes so you can see leading/trailing spaces.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!