What's new

RT-AC68P wifi keeps disconnecting, works when reconnect on device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bhaze30

New Around Here
Just got a RT-68ACP router recently, and noticed that both my 2.4 and 5g wifi connection(different SSID) drop very frequently(mostly every ~20 minutes). I can not connect to the internet until i disconnect/reconnect to the network on my wireless device and connection goes back to normal. It does not seem the wired connection ever drops, but not sure.

Location / Devices:
  • 1st floor of of apartment complex partially underground - wi-fi inspector seems to pick up ~31 different signals.
  • Tried moving router to various locations away from electronics and changed antenna directions
  • Had older Cisco router in this location without this problem
  • I have noticed the issue frequently on my laptop( intel cerion wireless-n 1030 with default and updated drivers - connected to 2.4 network. Removed former wireless profiles from laptop. Speedtest.net had 80mb/s however my torrent files seems to violently fluctuate in speed every second (100kb/s - 1.0 mb/s)
  • LG G3(5G), Thinkpad(5g), Samsung Tab S tablet, and iphone 6(5g). Wired XboxOne. I did notice that my internet was going out on the 5g network, but haven't been on enough to see if it is frequent.

Attempted Fixes:
  • This has happened with default firmware/settings, newest merlin, and a slightly older merlin software. For each firmware I power cycled, held wps button in, and restored router to factory settings.
  • I attempted to change 2.4 to N only, tried only 20hz and only 40hz, along with channels 1, 6, & 11.
  • I turned off WPS
  • QoS disabled
  • Recently changed tx power adjustment to 50%

Has anyone else had this problem or a suggested solution -- appreciate any insight. Thanks.

The problem has continued today, but seems confined to the 2.4 network - is it possible my wifi card is too outdated for this router or some settings need changed?

I've been having similar issue, also only with 2.4GHz. It however does not happen on 4585, only on more recent firmwares and disconnects aren't as regular as every 20 minutes. Bit more random but multiple times a day anyway. Rolled back to 4585 and it has remained stable.

AC68U

Last edited:
is merlin .53 based on the 4585?
the only place I found the .53 was mediafire and it doesn't seem to be working

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!