What's new

RT-AC68U AIMesh nodes keep going offline

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jmcnyc

Occasional Visitor
I have two TM-AC1900’s that I flashed from RT-AC68U’s. I created a aimesh network. Works great. But when I let it alone for a while the nodes go offline. Any ideas as to how I can keep them online. I have all three modems using this version the the firmware.

Version : 3.0.0.4.384_20308-gead790e

I have two TM-AC1900’s that I flashed from RT-AC68U’s. I created a aimesh network. Works great. But when I let it alone for a while the nodes go offline. Any ideas as to how I can keep them online. I have all three modems using this version the the firmware.

Version : 3.0.0.4.384_20308-gead790e
Keep bugging ASUS, they started off with a bang with the AiMesh firmware updates but just like ASUS, ALL has gone very quiet for the last month. Its a crying shame, because AiMesh when working is great, but it has some stability issues, as well as a few other shortfalls, here are a few AiMesh shortfalls/issues that come to mind after using it for the past month:

1. NO node support for guests
2. NO Mac Filtering by node
3. NO reboot schedule available on Nodes
4. Stability issues - Offline Nodes
5. Web UI for clients listing (ALL) - barely working
6. Web UI incorrect identification of interface connection by Clients
7. Web UI Node client connections list, lack of details - e.g. band connected to
8. Throughput drop off at nodes, at a guess due to stability problems, reboot (MANUAL) helps the problem
9. NO Led indicator at the node (router) when according to the Web UI node is offline

You can try switching off Universal Beamforming and Airtime fairness on both bands, that seems to help a little, it wont eliminate the problem, the nodes just become less erratic in terms of connection.

I have also found that using a fixed channel helps a lot on both bands, rather than an 'auto' channel selection.

My current AiMesh setup (ALL using the most current ASUS AiMesh firmware by Model):

RT-AC86U Main Router
2x RT-AC5300 Nodes
1x RT-AC68U Node

Last edited:
Thanks Neil_62. I will try your suggestions and report back. I will also put in a support request to Asus.

ALL has gone very quiet for the last month.

National holiday in Taiwan (Lunar new year), means for about a whole week everyone was at home.

So when I set this up within an hour both aimesh nodes went offline. I changed the universal beamsetting and airtime fairness on both bands and suggested by Neil62 above. And I came home tonight after 12 hours and both nodes are active. So that seemed to work. Thanks Neil62!

Keep bugging ASUS, they started off with a bang with the AiMesh firmware updates but just like ASUS, ALL has gone very quiet for the last month. Its a crying shame, because AiMesh when working is great, but it has some stability issues, as well as a few other shortfalls, here are a few AiMesh shortfalls/issues that come to mind after using it for the past month:

1. NO node support for guests
2. NO Mac Filtering by node
3. NO reboot schedule available on Nodes
4. Stability issues - Offline Nodes
5. Web UI for clients listing (ALL) - barely working
6. Web UI incorrect identification of interface connection by Clients
7. Web UI Node client connections list, lack of details - e.g. band connected to
8. Throughput drop off at nodes, at a guess due to stability problems, reboot (MANUAL) helps the problem
9. NO Led indicator at the node (router) when according to the Web UI node is offline

You can try switching off Universal Beamforming and Airtime fairness on both bands, that seems to help a little, it wont eliminate the problem, the nodes just become less erratic in terms of connection.

I have also found that using a fixed channel helps a lot on both bands, rather than an 'auto' channel selection.

My current AiMesh setup (ALL using the most current ASUS AiMesh firmware by Model):

RT-AC86U Main Router
2x RT-AC5300 Nodes
1x RT-AC68U Node

How do set a fixed channel in AiMesh? Do you need to disable smart connect?

I have two aimesh nodes. One was relatively stable until yesterday. Now it is listing as always offline. I kept restarting it and also restarting the main modem and got it back online for a bit. But it basically kicks over to offline. It was working ok
I put in a support request to Asus but no response.

Any settings or other advice I can try?

I have exactly the same issues. 4 RT-AC68U. One is factory original the other 3 are flashed TM-AC1900’s. Factory unit is the main and the other 3 are AI Mesh nodes. I drop the basement and 2nd floor nodes every couple days. I check the log files and they seem to be dropped because of low signal but the phone app always shows full bars. The 2nd floor and basement are nearly on top of the main unit with no more than 50' between them. The garage unit is the farthest away and has never dropped. I posted the lpg files in another thread but no love. Guessing that it's not just me.

I have exactly the same issues. 4 RT-AC68U. One is factory original the other 3 are flashed TM-AC1900’s. Factory unit is the main and the other 3 are AI Mesh nodes. I drop the basement and 2nd floor nodes every couple days. I check the log files and they seem to be dropped because of low signal but the phone app always shows full bars. The 2nd floor and basement are nearly on top of the main unit with no more than 50' between them. The garage unit is the farthest away and has never dropped. I posted the lpg files in another thread but no love. Guessing that it's not just me.

What sort of RSSI values are showing in the Wireless Log for the node WLAN MACs that drop?

OE

-74 to -65. I have saved the log file.

With two 68Us at ~60 feet, my RSSI values are steady for node WLAN MACs:
2.4 GHz -43 dBm
5.0 GHz -55 dBm

I think the good/green range is -60 to -40 dBm.

At 96 feet, my node dropped after 10 days. I can't recall the RSSI values but they were not good... I now know. I was expecting 96 feet through a couple brick walls and the kitchen to be too far.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!