What's new

RT-AC68U - Macbook Pro (Late 2013) 5GHZ AC - dropouts (With Tests)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RaymondL

New Around Here
Hi All,

My issue is listed out below, now I did google this prior and I have noted that this topic is a can of worms.. more information below:

Background:
-Macbook Pro Retina 13 AC - maintains a stable connection to wifi on 2.4 GHZ but there are major issues on 5GHZ (major drop outs)
-The issue was noticed when attempting to transfer files from my NAS and/or browsing, I have managed to isolate this into repeatable test (documented below)

Tests
Test 2.4 GHZ:
-Macbook Pro placed 1-2 metres (Yes I am aussie) away from the router
-In terminal, Ping the router IP address i.e. Ping 192.168.1.1

Outcome
-No lost packets (Great, as per expected)

Test Methodology - 5 GHZ:
-Macbook Pro placed 1-2 metres (Yes I am aussie) away from the router
-In terminal, Ping the router IP address i.e. Ping 192.168.1.1

Outcome:
-35-40% lost packets
-"Request timeout for icmp_seq XXX"
-Note this is quite visible when attempting to transfer files/browsing, this test is repeatable.

General Notes:
-Router has been reset (CLEAN)
-Router uses WPA2, separate SSID for 2.4GHZ & 5GHZ
-Router Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.374_4561
-Macbook Pro Retina Wireless : Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (6.30.223.154.63)
-Macbook Notes: Brand new - fresh image - network configuration minimal
-My devices (3) which are non-AC e.g. Microsoft Surface Pro 2, maintains a stable connection to wifi (no reboots/no drop outs) on both 2.4/5 GHZ, router functions as per expected.
-I don't have another AC device to test the router (bummer)

What did google say ..?
-Macbook hardware issue [N/A] - require replacement of motherboard (my laptop has no issue on 2.4/5GHZ when connecting to Airport Extreme (N))
-Maverick upgrade did it [N/A] - My laptop had this preinstalled, previously Apple had addressed some of the issues regarding wireless devices back in 2013 (2.4GHZ stability issues etc)
-Apple requires a new broadcom driver [Possible]
-Install Asuswrt-Merlin and enable 802.11d+h [Prefer not to install Merlin] - not unless someone has had a positive outcome for AC

So anyone had a similar experience with their Macbook Pro 2013 AC on 5GHZ ? Suggestions welcome

First thing first:
- upgrade your router! 4561 is the most unfortunate choice possible! And check again with current settings.
- second - Mavericks is known to have huge problems with wireless. Most of it comes from the aggressive power management it has. It turn the device in low power mode on some criterias only Apple understands. It saves some juice from battery but speed is poor, roaming between APs doesn't work and list is quite considerable.
- third. Change beamforming. Very likely with beamforming off you will see some improvements.

Definitely a firmware upgrade on your router may get you the biggest win. Though you should no expect a very good wireless from the current Mavericks version. It is how it is and Apple doesn't give any signs they intend to improve it.

Thanks Drabisan for your response! :D

1 - Thanks, I have updated the router to the latest version at this moment - "3.0.0.4.374.5047", I fell for the "The router's current firmware is the latest version" .. message ..thinking I had the latest version already (ERGH)

Preliminary testing results:
a - Ping drop outs are at a minimal (still exist) - 1.2% lost of packets
b - transfer of 1.04GB file (peaked at 62MB/s sustained 50MB/s)

I plan to do more intensive tests, but looks like a much better user experience !:eek:

3 - Beamforming is enabled - Thanks

I'll keep you guys posted after more tests :) :eek:

On wireless is reasonable to expect some packet loss and yours is not something to be concerned about.
50MB=400mbps...this is good! I'm getting 300mbps sustained on a 801.11n adapter. I don't have yet a powerful device with 802.11ac but it will arrive soon.

PS: beamforming is amazing if all devices are using good drivers!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I have MacBook Pro Retina with AC card (Mavericks 10.9.2). RT-AC68U is working in AP mode. Everything is fine when MacBook is wired or on 2,4 GHz wireless connection to the AP. When I use 5 Ghz connection during downloading files from internet I can't get connection with two NAS-s (both Synology DS-412+) on local network. I'm receiving connection failed message from Finder, but not every time I think in 50% cases.

When download from internet stops AP works well.
RT-AC68U has 3.0.0.4.374.5047 firmware but with older versions was the same issue.
Newest Merlin's firmware with 802.11d+h option enable didn't help.
Beamforming on or off doesn't help.
Generally 5 GHz connection with RT-AC68U is very stable and fast (downloading to 76 MB/s uploading to 70 MB/s). :)
I have at home RT-AC66N and here on 5 GHz everything is fine so I'm using this AP though 5 GHz wireless connection is slower.
Any ideas? :confused:

I wrote to Asus technical support many emails but they still think that the cause is MacBook Pro Retina.

Hi MaDy,

Have you tried pinging the NAS to see the response in ms? How fast/big are the files you downloading?

-- My Update:

So far with the firmware update on the router it has greatly improved overall stability, on rmbp 5GHZ. I still do noticed timeouts when pinging the router, this does affect the average transfer speed, as there will be moments whereby no network activity till the connection is re-established.

Observation was made whilst transferring 320GB (15-35mb files) over 5GHZ

Hi RaymondL,
My pings seems to be ok.
APs (RT-AC66 and RT-AC68 not working at the same moment) are in the same room. Download speed from internet typically is 7,2MB/s with big files (1-2 GBs).
And the ping to NAS results:

RT-AC66U

50 packets transmitted, 50 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.881/1.751/3.502/0.490 ms

During downloading from WAN
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.187/1.704/4.536/0.586 ms

RT-AC68U

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.720/1.479/2.364/0.402 ms

During downloading from WAN
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.801/1.650/4.630/0.670 ms

I still have the problem with connection failed to NAS during download from WAN through 5GHz RT-AC68U. :mad:

It's not Mvrx that has the WiFi issues, but the Macbook Pro line since 2007. Although, Mrvx may trigger the problem if never seen before. There are Apple User threads with over a million views and several hundreds thousand replies that have been running for years. But Apple has yet to acknowledge it, much less address it. And there is a ton of "fixes" that work for some or not at all, me. It's looking to be a GPU issue.

My Macbook Pro (Early 2008) was working perfectly this time last year, then dropped in June, came back in August, only to drop again in September and has been out since. All with the same router. I am looking for a replacement for my new Netgear R6300v2, a warranty replacement for two dead v1's, because I am completely over Netgear's Tech Support. Or the lack there of. So that 's why I'm here. Although, I just got the companion WiFi AC Adapter for the 6300 as a fix for the time being. I need to stream tunes from the South 40.

So over the past several months I have had several "new" routers and although my MBP is trying its darnedest to connect, it won't. And when it says it is, it isn't. But then there are times that the WiFi says there is no hardware installed. In the MPB in different areas say different things all the same time. But in looking to move to a new brand from what I am reading in Tech Reviews the Broadcom chip being used in the Netgear R7000 and the Asus RT-AC68U has its own problems of which no one is sure what it is yet.

So it looks like ya just can't win these days.

@FarmerBob; will the MBP connect to an Apple AP? i'm thinking the wifi card may be faulty. haven't used a mac in a while, though. i'm sure it's not integrated...

@MaDy okay looks good so far, a few questions

What version of DSM are you running on Synology ? (mine: DS2413+ DSM 5.0-4458 Update 2)

Are you connecting to the NAS via smb or afp? (smb://192.168.1.XXX or afp://192.168.1.XXX)

Interestingly the Synology KB article had referred to "connection failed" situation (it advises to click on "Connect as") - http://www.synology.com/en-global/support/tutorials/563

Letme know how you go?

Hi RaymondL,
Thanks for your help.
My both Synology DS2412+ run DSM 5.0-4458 Update 2, and the connection type is afp.
Just now I'm only using RT-AC66U because this AP is stable with no "connection fail" messages during download from WAN, only a little slower than RT-AC68U.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!