What's new

RT-AC68U Recovery

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PegasUA

New Around Here
Hi.
I have some ASUS AC1900 hardware.
This is the RT-AC68U analog
It has asuswrt-merlin.net firmware, not very old.
Probably RT-AC68U_386.7_2.zip.
It booted normally but I couldn't remember the password to it. I tried resetting it to default settings and it went into firmware recovery mode.
Now I can't do anything with it :(
please look at the video.
Video
Web Site I go to web site asus
I download ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.51665
& i Download ASUS Firmware Restoration version 2.1.0.3
I Use next instruction
FAQ
but ASUS Firmware Restoration No view my device :( Please help. What i can recovery my device ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-19 225159.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-19 225159.png
    331.5 KB · Views: 39
You do not have an RT-AC68U, you have a (T-Mobile) TM-AC1900 which is a different device that uses different firmware.

You should first do, if you haven't done so already, a hard factory reset to see if that fixes the inability to access the router at 192.168.1.1 (if running Asus firmware).
[Wireless Router] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 1

Because you have a TM-AC1900, certain discussions on that device may potentially not be allowed here. Particularly how to jail break it to allow the installation of later Asus firmware to it. Search the internet as there are discussions elsewhere on that router and how to install Asus firmware to it.

Edit to add: Also note the TM-AC1900 is End of Life per Asus.

certain discussions on that device may potentially not be allowed here

Allowed now exactly because the device is EoL for a long time.

I download ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.51665

Depending on how this router was converted it may or may not want to take stock Asus firmware. Reflash what was working on it in CFE Web.

Allowed now exactly because the device is EoL for a long time.
Yes well aware. Thanks. ;) General discussion is allowed but not sure they also mean to include the specifics of how to jail break. In any event there are plenty of discussions elsewhere the OP can find in a simple internet search that explain exactly how to jail break the TM-AC1900 to run the later Asus and Asus-Merlin firmware.

but not sure

The post quoted is the last post in "... Conversion Discussion" thread. The device can be saved from e-waste by turning it into something more useful.

The post quoted is the last post in "... Conversion Discussion" thread. The device can be saved from e-waste by turning it into something more useful.
Again well aware what it says. You and others are free to list the jail break process on this site, I will continue to refrain from doing so for now (just in case mods decide to lock down again) as there are several other sites that are dedicated to the jail break process and have plenty of discussion on the TM device and how to load the latest Asus and Asus-Merlin firmware to it.

First you said “not sure”. Now you say “don’t want”. For “not sure” see above. For “don’t want” just avoid related threads. Someone else will take the risk and help. This thread is exactly about saving the device from e-waste - the main reason for the rule change. The Good Thing.

First you said “not sure”. Now you say “don’t want”. For “not sure” see above. For “don’t want” just avoid related threads. Someone else will take the risk and help. This thread is exactly about saving the device from e-waste - the main reason for the rule change. The Good Thing.
Please do not, once again, start twisting what I am saying. I didn't say; "don't want". That is unproductive, unhelpful to the OP's discussion, and does nothing other than continue to drag this discussion off topic. In my initial and subsequent posts I did point the OP to search online for how to jail break. That is being helpful to the OP in saving the device from e-waste. To save the OP the 30 seconds of internet searching, see here. (Assuming this isn't against SNBForums policy) There is plenty of discussion at that link on the jail break process and issues related to attempted jail break. And before you nitpick, I am not listing "the jail break process on this site" rather providing a link to another site which has the list and process.

Last edited:
So much words for one "not sure" correction. The router is already converted, somehow. Someone already searched Internet how to do it. No one asked for conversion instructions yet. This router just stuck in unknown state. The OP already tried resetting it. Any other suggestions?

You misunderstand me. All my ASUS AC1900s work perfectly and without problems on asuswrt-merlin.net
Except for this one.
I can't access the WEB interface because the device is not booted and I can't reset it with the WPS button.

Please note how router flashes LED indicator
I have already tried different reset options &
different networks 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.50.0
I can't see the device either on the network or with ASUS Device Discovery
I also tried different firmware using ASUS Firmware Restoration
My device no answer ping 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.50.1 :( & i no view CFE Web

Please note how router flashes LED indicator
I have already tried different reset options &
different networks 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.50.0
I can't see the device either on the network or with ASUS Device Discovery
I also tried different firmware using ASUS Firmware Restoration
My device no answer ping 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.50.1 :( & i no view CFE Web
Just to confirm, when using the Asus recovery tool have you configured the Windows PC with the following IP/subnet mask (as indicated in this link):
IP address: 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Does the Asus firmware restoration tool begin the firmware upload at all? Like begins upload then freezes at some point (20% or 40%)? Or does the restoration tool not find the router at all and doesn't start the upload?

Some troubleshooting suggestions.
Try initiating the Asus recovery tool upload immediately after powering on the router. Or try to ping the router immediately after power on. Sometimes the router may briefly respond when powered on before it enters the failed state.
If the router was improperly jail broken it may not take the later Asus or Asus-Merlin firmware. One may have to find an older version of the firmware to flash or if they can reach the TM router, perform the code for fixing the MD5 partition on the router (see this link).
There is talk of on person using a serial cable to recover their RT-AC68U at this link: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1060861
A long shot but see if the router responds on IP address 192.168.29.1 when you configure your Windows PC with the IP address 192.168.29.5 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Could be the TM-AC1900 defaulted to the settings possibly used to jail break it (more on jail breaking here).
Read through the discussion comments at this link and this one about the TM router. There is much discussion on people having issues both with jail breaking it and other problems, and what they did (to possibly resolve them). Its possible something in there will give a hint on how to fix your issue.

Last edited:
Yes, you can see in my screen shot that I'm using
ASUS Firmware Restoration does not seen the router at all ethernet cable is connected to port #1 of the router.
I will try more of your other tips thanks.

ASUS Firmware Restoration does not seen the router at all ethernet cable is connected to port #1 of the router.
If you haven't done so already, as a troubleshooting step, try networking ports 2, 3 and 4 along with using different Ethernet cables to rule out port or cable issues. If you have any other computers or USB drives connected to the router, disconnect them so only the one single PC used to upload the firmware is connected.

There may be ways to use a serial cable (or the like) to access the router to re-flash the firmware, but that typically involves additional knowledge and skill which may include opening up the router to gain access the router motherboard and it's hidden ports/connectors if any. For example see this link and this link where using a serial cable is discussed on recovering a TM-AC1900 and or RT-AC68U.

In the end it's possible the router has simply gone bad and cannot be recovered. It happens.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!