What's new

RT-AC68U Temperatures

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chris2kari

Occasional Visitor
Firstly thank you Merlin for your hardwork.

Just bought this router a couple of days ago. Noticed the stock FW was about 3 revisions behind what is available for DL from the Asus web site so went ahead & Flashed it up to the latest stock FW (3.0.0.4.378.3873).

Tried enabling the DLNA server which worked beautifully for 24 hours then went bang and not seen/useable to any device on my LAN (sad face).

In investigating why the DLNA is fubar I came across this Merlin FW & flashed to latest available (376.49_5).

AT ambient temp of 25-25 °C & the DLNA server off Im seeing temps of :

Legend: 2.4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Current Temperatures: 58 °C - 59 °C - 97 °C

Current Temperatures: 136 °F - 138 °F - 207 °F

Should I be concerned? The CPU temp worries the hell out of me! The device seems to be operating on the edge of its thermal envelope at little to no load.

If no one knows for sure I'll contact Asus support & try to get a sensible answer...

C2k

Firstly thank you Merlin for your hardwork.

Just bought this router a couple of days ago. Noticed the stock FW was about 3 revisions behind what is available for DL from the Asus web site so went ahead & Flashed it up to the latest stock FW (3.0.0.4.378.3873).

Tried enabling the DLNA server which worked beautifully for 24 hours then went bang and not seen/useable to any device on my LAN (sad face).

In investigating why the DLNA is fubar I came across this Merlin FW & flashed to latest available (376.49_5).

AT ambient temp of 25-25 °C & the DLNA server off Im seeing temps of :

Current Temperatures: 58 °C - 59 °C - 97 °C

Current Temperatures: 136 °F - 138 °F - 207 °F

Should I be concerned? The CPU temp worries the hell out of me! The device seems to be operating on the edge of its thermal envelope at little to no load.

If no one knows for sure I'll contact Asus support & try to get a sensible answer...

C2k

97C is unusually high for this router, which is usually closer to 80-85C.

I am running 376.45 on a RT-AC68U and it sits at 92°C - 93°C has done for 3 months now

my AC68 runs at 78C but I keep the 5GHz radio switched off.

I purchased a second identical RT-AC68U unit.
Placed them side by side on a bench.
Flashed to same stable Merlin FW.
Use the same config file eg on both units all radios turned on.

Unit #1 sits on 95°C - 100°C or more at idle.
Unit #2 sits at steady 75°C at idle.

I cant explain why there would be such a wide variation in operating temperatures.
I have rigged up a PC case fan attached to Unit #1.
It now sits stable on 55°C - 60°C.

Thats a massive difference..

Last edited:
Return the one that is running so hot. Perhaps a heatsink came loose or the thermal tape went bad or something.

Return the one that is running so hot. Perhaps a heatsink came loose or the thermal tape went bad or something.
In Australia RMA'ing anything is a massive pain in the bum of finger pointing, blame shifting & trying their best to try to wriggle out of warranty at all costs. I'm building a case to take to ASUS to make sure I'm not going off half cocked. I agree with you BTW.

Cheers!

My 68R was running at 93C when idle, so I decided to put a usb fan in the back of the unit. Now it feels much better at 69C average.

IMG_20150119_180606823.jpg

Untitled2.png

Just upgraded my 68U to the latest CFE, Beta 2 Firmware and there was no change in temp readings.
93 degrees at idle

lzkill, where did you get that fan?

• I note others are reporting these temps also. Most likely those of us living in sub-tropical or tropical climates will be more sensitive to this issue. The fact that one example runs 20 degrees C hotter than another otherwise identical example of the same router side by side tells me they may have had a manufacturing issue.
  • I contacted ASUS support for their response on this & got back "For such situation, please RMA warranty your product" which is very non commital & basically throws me to the dogs to fight it out with the reseller & ASUS RMA staff.
  • If I RMA this in Australia I could very well get the thing back with a big bill for denied RMA & postage etc etc.
I'll sound out the reseller first before I do something with ASUS. They may be supportive of my claim or may not.. let's see.

Chris2k

I posted this in a similar thread - cheap, quiet, looks good (no cables).. temps are hovering around 64C/65C

Recent temp reading: 2.4 GHz: 45°C - 5 GHz: 47°C - CPU: 64°C

Attachments

• 51T7A4E8vOL._SL1200_.jpg
    51T7A4E8vOL._SL1200_.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,027
If my memory serves me correctly, it was anywhere between 84C and 87C.. I forgot to mention that I've oc'd the CPU to 1.2GHz and mem to 800MHz.

My temps:

OC: 1200,800

1) Room temp: 20ºC -> 2.4 GHz: 51C - 5 GHz: 52°C - CPU: 71°C
2) Room temp: 29ºC -> 2.4 GHz: 55C - 5 GHz: 56°C - CPU: 81°C

97 ºC idle temp is crazy high for any cpu. In the long term it my fail due to 24h overheating.

Last edited:
My temps:

OC: 1200,800

1) Room temp: 20ºC -> 2.4 GHz: 51C - 5 GHz: 52°C - CPU: 71°C
2) Room temp: 29ºC -> 2.4 GHz: 55C - 5 GHz: 56°C - CPU: 81°C

97 ºC idle temp is crazy high for any cpu. In the long term it my fail due to 24h overheating.

Why did you overclock your router?

What can it do OC that it could not do before?

I am on latest Merlin 378.51
Both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are always turned on. My RT-AC68U constantly sits at 50 °C - 53 °C - 73 °C. Slightly goes down or up sometimes, but that's about it. I do not have any external fan attached, both, router and my modem sit on my desk right next to my monitor. Temperature in my room is 24.5 °C exactly at the moment.

L0uB7Wk.jpg

Last edited:
I am on latest Merlin 378.51
Both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are always turned on. My AC-RT68U constantly sits at 50 °C - 53 °C - 73 °C. Slightly goes down or up sometimes, but that's about it. I do not have any external fan attached, both, router and my modem sit on my desk right next to my monitor. Temperature in my room is 24.5 °C exactly at the moment.

L0uB7Wk.jpg

I am on the same firmware as you on two RTN66U routers. But I don't have that 3rd green line for the CPU. I just have 47-49c for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz wi fi.

How do I get the CPU temp too?

I am on the same firmware as you on two RTN66U routers. But I don't have that 3rd green line for the CPU. I just have 47-49c for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz wi fi.

How do I get the CPU temp too?

I too am on the RT-N66U with the hggomes 378.51.1 HGG Final fork. No CPU temp is available for our models. SmallNetGuy is running the RT-AC68U which does have that sensor / indicator.

I too am on the RT-N66U with the hggomes 378.51.1 HGG Final fork. No CPU temp is available for our models. SmallNetGuy is running the RT-AC68U which does have that sensor / indicator.

I use to have a cpu temp for my RTN66u but one of the firmware updates removed it. So it seems to have the sensor just not being accessed.

I just purchased a new RTN66U for the office and have both on same Merlin 378.51.1 and one of them has Traffic monitor drop down with 6 options, three are for PER Device view. The new router even with the new firmware does not have the PER device Option in the traffic monitor. No idea why. Everything else is the same.