What's new

[RT-AC86U, 384.17] can't remove; no space left on device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yousif Kelaita

Occasional Visitor
I started getting a lot of "no space left" errors in log, amtm, etc.

GUI says JFFS is 41/48 MB full, but if I try to delete the TrafficAnalyzer.db file, I get the error message:

rm: can't remove 'TrafficAnalyzer.db': No space left on device

I've seen similar issues reported in threads here, but the conversation always leads elsewhere...Any advice on how to delete this file or free up some space? Am I boned? So many settings I'd lose if I had to factory reset...

I started getting a lot of "no space left" errors in log, amtm, etc.

GUI says JFFS is 41/48 MB full, but if I try to delete the TrafficAnalyzer.db file, I get the error message:

rm: can't remove 'TrafficAnalyzer.db': No space left on device

I've seen similar issues reported in threads here, but the conversation always leads elsewhere...Any advice on how to delete this file or free up some space? Am I boned? So many settings I'd lose if I had to factory reset...

Hi,
One option is: Go to Administration -> System -> Format JFFS partition at next boot and set to "YES" then reboot the router

I would leave the Traffic Analyser disabled and also disable "custom scripts and configs" on Administration - System. Then reboot the router and try to delete the file again.

No luck there either. My understanding is it has something do with the jffs filesystem needing space to be able to delete a file. But still haven't found the magic command that might let me free up some space on it.

Look to see if there's some other large file that is causing the problem rather than assuming it's TrafficAnalyzer.db.
Code:
du -a /jffs | sort -g

Thanks for your continued help.

TrafficAnalyzer.db is the largest at 27 MB, followed by nt_center.db at 17 MB, followed by WebHistory.db at 3 MB. What is nt_center?

Yes it repeats the following over and over:

Jun 4 15:24:18 kernel: jffs2: Argh. No free space left for GC. nr_erasing_blocks is 0. nr_free_blocks is 0. (erasableempty: yes, erasingempty: yes, erasependingempty: yes)
Jun 4 15:24:18 kernel: jffs2: jffs2_reserve_space_gc of 196 bytes for garbage_collect_dnode failed: -28
Jun 4 15:24:18 kernel: jffs2: Error garbage collecting node at 00dd9f34!

Oh dear. I've seen this before and it was difficult to resolve even with doing a factory reset.

As I don't have the same router as you can you show me the output of this command:
Code:
nvram get x_Setting

Result:

OK. Well I don't know of a painless solution. The best I can think of is that you use the GUI to backup your current nvram and jffs data. Then do a factory reset with initialise. If that wipes the jffs partition you could then try restoring both the nvram and jffs.

My concern with this is all the reports that the "initialise" option appears to not work properly on the RT-AC86U.

I see, I'll give some time for additional input but move to do that in the near future...maybe I'll use this chance to upgrade to an AX88U...

Rather than doing a full factory reset you could try what @ArC suggested in post #2 and just try to reformat the jffs partition (having backed it up first). And then restore it afterwards. That way almost all of the router settings would be preserved and you would be mainly restoring the custom scripts and configs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!