What's new

RT-AC86U - can I upload the router settings via command line, from a USB drive?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello everyone,
on an Asus Merlin router (I have RT-AC86U), is it possible to upload a saved file of router settings via command line, logged into the router via ssh? (You ordinarily do this at the Admin menu - Restore/Save/Upload settings). I would probably have to use a USB drive plugged into the router also (?)
Thank you

Nobody has mentioned yet, but why would you want to restore settings? Generally when you do a reset, you are trying to get rid of old configs and start fresh. Each codebase changes some stuff and uploading a previous config can just restore (or cause new) gremlins. Basically the same as doing a "dirty upgrade".

While it is more time consuming, I just take screen shots and manually re-enter everything. Any JFFS scripts you can copy to a text file and paste back in, but if it is a script that modifies nvram variables etc, good to check and make sure none of those variables have been renamed or had their behavior changed. Rare but have seen it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!