What's new

RT-AC86U, "download master". RAM saturation problem.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bong!

Occasional Visitor
Hello. -)

Problem: Download Master "blocks" my router.

Whatever the number of torrents I launch, even for a single one, even with few connections (3 for example) per torrent, as soon as the download has started or after 2 to 4 minutes, the amount of RAM used rises quickly to 80 then 90 or even 96%, the router starts to malfunction (the interface no longer reacts...), at the same time my 2 processor cores are not loaded (< 5 or 8%)
Even if you stop downloading, or stop Download Master the RAM remains busy, the only way to return to normal operation is to reboot the router.
I tried to stop the VPN, it didn't change anything, I don't use any of the USB applications, not the QOS, without Download Master the RAM is used at 59% (302 MB) and the processors reés little (< 2 or 4%).

What to do about it? What settings of Download Master or other things should I change?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

What firmware are you using on your router? I would recommend RMerlin's latest v384.9.

Have you ever reset the router to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

Please see the links in my signature below.

Sorry, I forgot: Merlin's version is 384.8_2.
I did it at the Merlin installation, then the different settings were made one by one by myself.
After the basic settings I started the VPN, made the settings for VoIP, then installed and started using Download Master and noticed the problem mentioned.

if I upgraded Merlin to version 384.9. should I re-enter all the settings made, or will they be kept, or could I use the settings backup made with the previous version of Merlin?

text translated using Deepl (https://www.deepl.com/)

I'll also check out the links listed.

If you upgrade from Merlin 384.8.2 to 384.9 your settings will be kept. However if you are experiencing some issues I would not recommend using a saved backup. Do a factory default reset and check the links in the post by L&LD.

There is nothing unusual or wrong with the RAM usage you describe. When you download data and write it to disk it will use any available RAM to buffer the data. This is a good thing. The buffered data will remain in memory after the download has finished to speed up subsequent read operations. If another process requires more RAM then it will free up some of the buffers for it's own use. So it is perfectly normal to see the RAM usage remain high until the router is rebooted.

The problem with download master causing the router's interface to become unresponsive is usually because it is writing so much data to disk, and USB disks are very slow. You can see this in top by looking at the io, irq and sirq values. If they are very high it means the router is having to wait for IO operations to complete during which the processor can't do anything else.

Thanks to Dave Parker about flashing.

To ColinTaylor: I know the benefits of bufferering data(and my mass storage is an usb key), but there is anyway a problem, IHMO, because Download Master's buffered data haven't to keep busy processor even Download Master is off or even deactived.
You wrote "you can see this in top by looking at the io, irq and sirq values: "top"? What is "top"?

Thanks to Dave Parker about flashing.

To ColinTaylor: I know the benefits of bufferering data(and my mass storage is an usb key), but there is anyway a problem, IHMO, because Download Master's buffered data haven't to keep busy processor even Download Master is off or even deactived.
You wrote "you can see this in top by looking at the io, irq and sirq values: "top"? What is "top"?
top is like task manager on windows, you will need to connect to the router via ssh in order to use the command line arguement

Untitled.png

Thank you all, I see you go check it out closer, for information.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!