What's new

RT-AC86U - Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bookreader

New Around Here
At this point; things still looks dim to have RT-AC86U support IGMP Snooping for IPTV boxes (ex. CenturyLink Prism TV) :(

Today - Running Asuswrt-Merlin RT-AC86U_384.5_0_cferom_ubi.w
Older ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.18219 release notes "Fixed IGMP snooping related issue."

Nov 18th, 2017
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-1-is-now-available.42127/page-10#post-359002
"Any idea why RT-AC86U has no IGMP Snooping option? My IPTV channels freeze without it.
RT-N66U from 2011 works fine and has this that RT-AC86U hasn't:

Because that feature was deprecated on the HND platform, and replaced by a new MCD daemon from Broadcom. No idea how it can be accessed/configured by end users. You will have to ask Asus."

Although the efficient Multicast forward option is missing on the AC86 after turning on IGMP Proxy without selecting any IPTV ports i was able to to stream mutlicast successfully.

Note - I am forced to use VLAN 201 for the WAN (GPON). That is the one difference in zoon's setup. At this point, it looks to be a hardware limitation with the internet VLAN enabled?

Out of the box Setup:
Select ISP Profile - None
Choose IPTV STB Port - None
Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) - Disabled
I CAN enable "Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)"

Current Setup:
Select ISP Profile : Manual Setting
Internet - VID 201
LAN Port 4 /3 - Blank
Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) - Disable (Due to hardware limitation, IGMP proxy cannot co-exist with IPTV function.)
Click Apply.
Odd - Router was found powered off (not pingable, not lights) Pressed the power button out/in to power on.

IPTV still freezes.

Change "Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)" from disable to enable.

IPTV still freezes.

Would issues involving unable to see chromecast and airplay devices over wifi be related to this?

I can see my chromecasts and airplays when accessing from separate AP's (different SSID's), but when accessing via ac86 wifi, they do not show up.

Would issues involving unable to see chromecast and airplay devices over wifi be related to this?

I can see my chromecasts and airplays when accessing from separate AP's (different SSID's), but when accessing via ac86 wifi, they do not show up.

Yes.

So there is, or is not, a solution or workaround that will get chromecast/airplay working between lan and wireless ?

Still waiting for a fix from ASUS support (ticket opened 6/14/18). The only feedback I got:
"Multicast routing and VLAN port forwarding will not executing at same time, and it seems that's the limitation,
But there still another IGMP snooping in Wireless > Professional page, could you advise user to enable that option?"
I explained Wireless is not an option for the IPTV device. No issues with the old RT-N66U model router.

So there is, or is not, a solution or workaround that will get chromecast/airplay working between lan and wireless ?

Yes and no - keep in mind that Airplay and ChromeCast are generally intended these days for point to point on the WiFi.

IGMP Snooping - this is generally a good thing, but this happens inside the SoC core switch, but there are limits, as @bookreader noted from Asus Support - it's a limit of the chip itself.

There are fast path shortcuts inside the chip itself... and some conflict the the kernel configurations...

One can try IGMP Proxy if snooping doesn't work. It's also a short-cut...

Disable both perhaps, but you'll see a bit more traffic on the LAN/WLAN as a result.

Because that feature was deprecated on the HND platform, and replaced by a new MCD daemon from Broadcom.

Ah - yes... I misread 86U as 68U...

You might have to roll back to the N66U for a while - HND is fairly new, along with MCD...

Your best alternative for the moment might be to let the CPE stuff do what it does, and use the RT86U where it works best in your config, which might be AP mode...

ASUS support beta firmware did not help.
CenturyLink Prism TV + RT-AC86U = nope

Closing word from the support case:
"Multicast routing and port forwarding of VLANs are not going to happen at the same time." :(

Any news on this? My ISP uses multicast and my box is freezing every 10 seconds, need IGMP snooping. Using RT-AC86u and Meo (Portuguese provider).

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-1-is-now-available.42127/page-10#post-359002
"Any idea why RT-AC86U has no IGMP Snooping option? My IPTV channels freeze without it.
RT-N66U from 2011 works fine and has this that RT-AC86U hasn't:

Because that feature was deprecated on the HND platform, and replaced by a new MCD daemon from Broadcom. No idea how it can be accessed/configured by end users. You will have to ask Asus."

My IPTV (Telus) also freezes every 15 seconds or so without IGMP Snooping.

Why did Asus remove IGMP Snooping from all latest firmwares? My GT-AC5300 doesn't have it. Even the latest and greatest AX88U doesn't seem to have it, judging from the demoui.asus.com site.

My IPTV (Telus) also freezes every 15 seconds or so without IGMP Snooping.

Why did Asus remove IGMP Snooping from all latest firmwares? My GT-AC5300 doesn't have it. Even the latest and greatest AX88U doesn't seem to have it, judging from the demoui.asus.com site.
I have a AX88U and it has IGMP snooping on the iptv tab.
Code:
Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)

I have a AX88U and it has IGMP snooping on the iptv tab.
Code:
Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)
IGMP Proxy and snooping aren't the same thing. See below from a non-HND router:

upload_2019-8-26_15-10-31.png

I believe that IGMP snooping is handled by a different daemon on the RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U. @themiron would know more, he's more familiar than me with IPTV stuff.

Hello @themiron please add your bountiful knowledge here.

Now I have my RT-AC86U all set up with the latest Merlin firmware. But I have a new challenge...
I use Roon to manage my music library at home and play across multiple sources (network streamer, iPhone, galaxy phones, MacBooks, Apple TV,etc. )
But to use Roon I need a router that supports multi casting....https://kb.roonlabs.com/Networking_Best_Practices
And of course this specific model does not support multicasting. Is there a workaround or hack to enable multicasting on the RT-AC86U?

And of course this specific model does not support multicasting.
Yes it does. Just about every Linux machine supports multicasting on the LAN by default. This thread is discussing multicasting as it pertains to IPTV from the WAN.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!