1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC86U - Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping)

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by bookreader, Jun 13, 2018 at 12:12 AM.

1. bookreader

bookreader New Around Here

At this point; things still looks dim to have RT-AC86U support IGMP Snooping for IPTV boxes (ex. CenturyLink Prism TV) :(

Today - Running Asuswrt-Merlin RT-AC86U_384.5_0_cferom_ubi.w
    Older ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.18219 release notes "Fixed IGMP snooping related issue."

Nov 18th, 2017
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-1-is-now-available.42127/page-10#post-359002
    "Any idea why RT-AC86U has no IGMP Snooping option? My IPTV channels freeze without it.
    RT-N66U from 2011 works fine and has this that RT-AC86U hasn't:

Because that feature was deprecated on the HND platform, and replaced by a new MCD daemon from Broadcom. No idea how it can be accessed/configured by end users. You will have to ask Asus."

Vexira likes this.
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. zoon

zoon Occasional Visitor

Although the efficient Multicast forward option is missing on the AC86 after turning on IGMP Proxy without selecting any IPTV ports i was able to to stream mutlicast successfully.

Vexira likes this.
  4. bookreader

bookreader New Around Here

Note - I am forced to use VLAN 201 for the WAN (GPON). That is the one difference in zoon's setup. At this point, it looks to be a hardware limitation with the internet VLAN enabled?

Out of the box Setup:
    Select ISP Profile - None
    Choose IPTV STB Port - None
    Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) - Disabled
    I CAN enable "Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)"

Current Setup:
    Select ISP Profile : Manual Setting
    Internet - VID 201
    LAN Port 4 /3 - Blank
    Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) - Disable (Due to hardware limitation, IGMP proxy cannot co-exist with IPTV function.)
    Click Apply.
    Odd - Router was found powered off (not pingable, not lights) Pressed the power button out/in to power on.

IPTV still freezes.

Change "Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)" from disable to enable.

IPTV still freezes.

5. teknojnky

teknojnky Senior Member

Would issues involving unable to see chromecast and airplay devices over wifi be related to this?

I can see my chromecasts and airplays when accessing from separate AP's (different SSID's), but when accessing via ac86 wifi, they do not show up.

6. kfp

kfp Senior Member

Yes.

7. teknojnky

teknojnky Senior Member

So there is, or is not, a solution or workaround that will get chromecast/airplay working between lan and wireless ?

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!