What's new

RT-AC86U - Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Now I have my RT-AC86U all set up with the latest Merlin firmware. But I have a new challenge...
I use Roon to manage my music library at home and play across multiple sources (network streamer, iPhone, galaxy phones, MacBooks, Apple TV,etc. )
But to use Roon I need a router that supports multi casting....https://kb.roonlabs.com/Networking_Best_Practices
And of course this specific model does not support multicasting. Is there a workaround or hack to enable multicasting on the RT-AC86U?

I have been using Roon with 86u for almost two years and now with ax88 without problems.

I have been using Roon with 86u for almost two years and now with ax88 without problems.
That’s good to hear! Can you share any settings or tweaks you’ve made? Do you use Merlin software? I think I ran into problems after I switched from stock firmware to Merlin. Thanks

I did not make any changes regarding to Roon compability. It does work out of box with Merlin.

Do you experience any problems?

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, unfortunately I do. Audio zones that were previously enabled are no longer enabled and every time I to re-enable, they are unable to.
For example I now can’t play Roon on my iPhone, my wife’s Samsung note8, my Auralic streamer and more. It happened after I upgraded to the latest Merlin firmware. I have to think there are some setting(s) I need to change. I can share screenshots of my various settings if it’s helpful.

Look at enclosed screenshot.
7e09b5a92ba909ac823b1bdfacb52177.jpg

All of my devices configured many months ago are enabled now.

Malina - streamer built on raspberry pi
iPad...

Look at enclosed screenshot.
7e09b5a92ba909ac823b1bdfacb52177.jpg

All of my devices configured many months ago are enabled now.

Malina - streamer built on raspberry pi
iPad...
well this is what I see in my audio tab on Roon...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 2.50.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 2.50.33 PM.png
    83 KB · Views: 471
After I install Merlin, I followed the suggestions from a fellow SNB member (L&LD) and made these change to the default settings... maybe i should enable Universal/Implicit Beamforming, Airtime Fairness and/or MU-MIMO on both bands in the Wireless/Professional pages?
======================================================
  1. L&LD said:
dlandiss is correct, there is no one ultimate setup. However, there is still a 'best practices' method that is a good starting point for all further configurations.

Look at the links in my signature for more in-depth information, but for an overview, the following is what will get you going in the right direction.
  1. Whether you will use RMerlin's firmware or not, flash the version of the firmware you will use and then proceed to do a full reset of the router, even if you haven't previously used it at all (i.e it is 'brand new, out of the box').
  2. When resetting to factory defaults with the GUI, make sure to tick the box that says 'initialize settings...' that is right beside it.
  3. If that checkbox is not available in your firmware version, then after doing a factory reset via the GUI;
  4. Also, perform the 'format jffs partition on next boot' and proceed to reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes or so (with 5 to 10 minutes between reboots to allow the router to configure itself as needed).
  5. Now, we can manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to our ISP. This means that we do not use a saved configuration file to 'restore' any previous settings.
  6. This also means that we accept the defaults for most settings too, especially if using an RMerlin firmware, or we have any doubt as to what the consequences might be.

With the above completed (it is less than 1/2 hour of 'work'), we will change the following defaults:
  1. Disable Universal/Implicit Beamforming on both bands in the Wireless/Professional pages.
  2. Disable Airtime Fairness on both bands in the Wireless/Professional pages.
  3. Disable MU-MIMO on both bands in the Wireless/Professional pages.
  4. Set Preamble type to Short on the 2.4GHz band in the Wireless/Professional pages.
  5. Set the Time Zone and DST Time Zone changes settings for our locale.
  6. Change the Memory Management: Regularly flush caches (default: Yes), to No (RMerlin Tools/Other Settings page).
  7. Change the Control Channels for both bands away from 'Auto' after testing which Control channel works best (2.4GHz use 1, 6 or 11 'only').
  8. With a new router or a fully reset one such as the above steps outline, I recommend a new SSID for each band too.
  9. Or, alternately, 'forget' the network on each client device that will be used in this network and then re-associate them. Some clients may need to have a 'reset networks' command and reboot too with this method. It is much easier to just use a new SSID.
With the above completed, you will have the fastest, most stable and most reliable network possible.

Of course, we can do much more with our Asus + RMerlin powered routers. Once the above is proven to be stable in your network, the additional features such as AiProtection, Parental Controls, etc. can be added as needed.

Don't forget the most powerful features of these routers: the excellent scripts available for them. My signature below contains some of the most popular ones I am currently using. For the additional 'cost' of a spare USB drive.

Hope this is enough to get you started. :)

Everything is working now! Just had to reboot my Roon core and the audio zones are now visible and enabled! Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi!
Yesterday I got the AC86U to replace my old RT-N16 (thanks Merlin for the rock solid firmware), and I was shocked that IGMP snooping in the LAN switch is no longer available, due to the limitations already posted here. This just breaks my business case for this router, since I cannot use it with my IPTV service.

I will replace the AC86U for another one and I would like your help to tell me if the models AC68U, AC87U, AC88U or AX88U still have the IGMP snooping option?

Thanks.

RT-AX88U
Wireless --> Professional --> Enable IGMP Snooping
LAN --> IPTV --> Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)

Note: IGMP Snooping can be set on/off by individual radio.

No mention of IGMP Snooping in LAN --> Switch Control. Does this mean IGMP Snooping can be enabled for wireless but would not include the LAN? I do not know.

Last edited:
Although the efficient Multicast forward option is missing on the AC86 after turning on IGMP Proxy without selecting any IPTV ports i was able to to stream mutlicast successfully.

What version were you using when you wrote this? I'm doing the same as you, but image freezes after 2 minutes. I think is a snooping issue.

Thanks!
Regards

Any news on this? My ISP uses multicast and my box is freezing every 10 seconds, need IGMP snooping. Using RT-AC86u and Meo (Portuguese provider).

Good news! Thanks to a user in a portuguese forum, it's possible to have MEO IPTV working with the AC86U and AX88U. Here's the config, connecting the iptv box to port 3:

– ISP profile: manual
– Internet VID: 12 | PRIO: 0
– LAN Port 4: Blank | PRIO: 0
– LAN Port 3: VID: 12| PRIO: 1

– DHCP routes: “Microsoft”
– IGMP Proxy: “Disable” – hardware limitation bla bla bla
– UDP Proxy: 0
– IGMP default version: 3

The difference here for previous Asus models is that the router will create a specific priority LAN for the IPTV (I think it's what the PRIO: 1 configuration does). In my case the router created a subnet 176.78.11.x. (you can see it in the meobox definitions)

Since it's a separate LAN I think you don't even need IGMP snooping to filter the IPTV multicast from the rest of the network.

I have it working rock solid since this morning with latest Merlin firmware 384.17.

Don't forget to reboot the meo box.

Good news! Thanks to a user in a portuguese forum, it's possible to have MEO IPTV working with the AC86U and AX88U. Here's the config, connecting the iptv box to port 3:

The difference here for previous Asus models is that the router will create a specific priority LAN for the IPTV (I think it's what the PRIO: 1 configuration does). In my case the router created a subnet 176.78.11.x. (you can see it in the meobox definitions)

Since it's a separate LAN I think you don't even need IGMP snooping to filter the IPTV multicast from the rest of the network.

I have it working rock solid since this morning with latest Merlin firmware 384.17.

Thank you. Will try today

for my local IPTV setup to work (vodafone portugal with old tvbox) I really need to enable IGMP snooping. Is there any way asus or merlin software added that or it's just impossible because it's an hardware limitation?

(my tv box works but some special apps like netflix require IGMP snooping/proxying)

Hi @Kalashnikov

You're effectively getting a public IP addr on the STB, not a private one, I have it "the same way" with the ISP ONT+ROUTER (MEO FiberGateway) in bridge mode, with a switch in between (where the ASUS XT8 router and STB are both connected, both getting public IP addresses).

Due to using the MEO FG, sadly, I can't use the VID configuration, that only works when on the ONT only equipment.

If you were in a double NAT situation you would get a private IP addr on the STB from the MEO router (192.168.1.XXX) when enabling the IPTV on the chosen LAN port.

I still have to try connecting the STB via WiFi (it's the 4K WiFi enabled one) to the XT8, since from what I could gather the IGMP Snooping isn't working on the LAN but could be working on WiFi(?).

Hi @Kalashnikov

You're effectively getting a public IP addr on the STB, not a private one, I have it "the same way" with the ISP ONT+ROUTER (MEO FiberGateway) in bridge mode, with a switch in between (where the ASUS XT8 router and STB are both connected, both getting public IP addresses).

Due to using the MEO FG, sadly, I can't use the VID configuration, that only works when on the ONT only equipment.

If you were in a double NAT situation you would get a private IP addr on the STB from the MEO router (192.168.1.XXX) when enabling the IPTV on the chosen LAN port.

I still have to try connecting the STB via WiFi (it's the 4K WiFi enabled one) to the XT8, since from what I could gather the IGMP Snooping isn't working on the LAN but could be working on WiFi(?).
Yep @s0x that's true. I found that out a few days latter, when I searched from that IP range, and it was listed in the public IP addresses provided by telepac. I didn't update the post, though.

It's not an ideal situation having the STB with a public IP, but at least it's doing its job without issues.

Regarding your question about the IGMP snooping in the wi-fi, I cannot test it since my STB is the old one without wi-fi. My guess is that it would not work, because in the VID configuration you cannot assign the wi-fi to the IPTV configuration.
In your configuration I think that it will not work as well because you cannot configure the VID in the XT8, since you are connecting via the bridge mode to the FG.
But let me know the result of your experience!

PS: For my current configuration I guess that the IGMP proxy and snooping are now irrelevant to handle the iptv multicast traffic. My LAN port 3 works as a separate virtual switch for the IPTV multicast traffic. IGMP proxy and snooping are required to manage multicast traffic in a switch where you have both multicast and unicast traffic.

Last edited:
Reactions: s0x
Yep @s0x that's true. I found that out a few days latter, when I searched from that IP range, and it was listed in the public IP addresses provided by telepac. I didn't update the post, though.

It's not an ideal situation having the STB with a public IP, but at least it's doing its job without issues.

Regarding your question about the IGMP snooping in the wi-fi, I cannot test it since my STB is the old one without wi-fi. My guess is that it would not work, because in the VID configuration you cannot assign the wi-fi to the IPTV configuration.
In your configuration I think that it will not work as well because you cannot configure the VID in the XT8, since you are connecting via the bridge mode to the FG.
But let me know the result of your experience!

PS: For my current configuration I guess that the IGMP proxy and snooping are now irrelevant to handle the iptv multicast traffic. My LAN port 3 works as a separate virtual switch for the IPTV multicast traffic. IGMP proxy and snooping are required to manage multicast traffic in a switch where you have both multicast and unicast traffic.

Yes not ideal, since some tcp ports remain open on the STB, and now they're available "to the outside world".. :/

The WiFi was a no go, I was pretty much ready for that outcome.
The IGMP Snooping is enabled by default from what I could gather, and perhaps it's some configuration that's needed but not available via the webui from the ASUSWRT (not using Merlin).

Don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll stop.. but, my issue is pretty much this https://www.snbforums.com/threads/igmp-snooping-multicast-forwarding-on-ax-routers.58245/
And what's more and I could find out is that on the ISP CPE (ONT+ROUTER) the bridge interface (veip0.2) doesn't have IGMP Proxy enabled..But it's enabled on the default wan interface (veip0.1).

So, for now, I guess I'll keep using it this way as well.

Thanks @Kalashnikov

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!