What's new

RT-AC86U hit the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did you notice the Verizon logo? Is this going to be like the tm-ac1900?

Did you notice the Verizon logo? Is this going to be like the tm-ac1900?

I saw. I'd be surprised if the device was a Verizon exclusive since they have a whole series of announced model names in their FCC deposit. Including the RT-AC68U Extreme. More confusion for users... :/

I suspect that only one of these models will be a Verizon-specific model, kinda like the TM-AC1900 was an RT-AC68U with software-level changes specific to T-Mobile.

Which present Asus model have these chips?

For the CPU, none. The BCM4906 is a new CPU, probably a low-end variant of the BCM4908 that is used only in the GT-AC5300 (which isn't widely available yet). I can't find any info on it (good old Broadcom...)

BCM4366E is a new revision of the BCM4366 used by recent models (AC88/AC3100/AC5300).

For the CPU, none. The BCM4906 is a new CPU, probably a low-end variant of the BCM4908 that is used only in the GT-AC5300 (which isn't widely available yet).
Wow, if that is the case, I can guess/speculate this will be 1.7GHz ARM. Good for V subs like me.:):cool:

Wow, if that is the case, I can guess/speculate this will be 1.7GHz ARM. Good for V subs like me.:):cool:

Could also potentially be a lower-clocked version, since it's not the BCM4908 but the BCM4906 (like the BCM4708 was a 800 MHz part verssus the 1 GHz BCM4709).

Could also potentially be a lower-clocked version, since it's not the BCM4908 but the BCM4906 (like the BCM4708 was a 800 MHz part verssus the 1 GHz BCM4709).

Or a dual core variant to improve yields at the fab - dual B53's (broadcom's cortex-a53 variant) - if one of the cores on the quad fails testing, but the rest are good - burn the fuse and make it a dual core chip...

Product page is up.
https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC86U/

I have had this router for about a week now (I'm in China), and it's working well running the 11816 firmware.

However some folks on KoolShare have pointed out that the current firmware has some bug with QoS. I'm not using QoS, though.

Hello Jonathan,

Could you please let me know if this Router has English language support. I plan to import this this to Europe.

Hello Jonathan,

Could you please let me know if this Router has English language support. I plan to import this this to Europe.

Of course it has English. It also has support for other European languages. It's not a only-for-China model, after all.

Of course it has English. It also has support for other European languages. It's not a only-for-China model, after all.

Sometimes, Asus will force some regions to only the local language. All Asus routers sold in Japan for instance won't allow you to change to any other language than Japanese.

Anyone know when it will ship?

It's already shipping in China, been on the market for two or three weeks now.

Nothing was announced whether the model would be launched in other markets or not. Asus sometimes releases products for only specific markets. Like the RT-N18U which never shipped in North America.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!