What's new

RT-BE96U Tri-Band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When WiFi 7 itself hasn't been officially certified, how can the hardware be?
Certified by who specifically?

WFA and IEEE are two separate things I believe.

Good point, RMerlin.

IEEE doesn't certify anything...
I know. But a lot of people on the forums here are confusing "IEEE finalizing the standard" and "WFA starting to certify devices".

I have deployed this router and am enjoying it's performance...mostly. I am using it in fail over mode with primary WAN being Breezeline and Xfinity as the backup. I am seeing it switch to the backup WAN, but not returning back to the primary WAN when the connection is restored. I have it set to switch back after 4 successful pings, using google (8.8.8.8) but it's reporting the primary WAN is HOT, and still using the secondary. I have 1G max bandwidth on the secondary, and dismal upload speed, so I want it to only use the backup while the primary is down. Any ideas why it's not switching back?

Last edited:
Nobody can talk for Asus, but it is working for many already.

For the few it doesn't work for, there is a fix still.

Nobody can talk for Asus, but it is working for many already.

For the few it doesn't work for, there is a fix still.

Looks like no merlin yet for BE96U, plus since it's wifi 7 I suppose ASUS internal updates are going to be crucial for the time being (wrt to wifi 7 support). Any ideas on how to fix it with the stock firmware? I am up to date.

This is one of the main reasons I got this router over my other choices.
For dual WAN it is better to use TP-Link, e.g. ER605, ER707-M2 or ER8411. For Wi-Fi 7 - RT-BE96U or Omada EAP773.

So, the key question is still, will Merlin support this machine? If not, that would be a deal breaker for me! Merlin's software is simply that much better that all the alternatives...

So, the key question is still, will Merlin support this machine? If not, that would be a deal breaker for me! Merlin's software is simply that much better that all the alternatives...
I really really hope Merlin does support it, but it’s not a deal breaker for me if he doesn’t.

I think we have to wait for ASUS to release a more stable 3.0.0.6 first.

Been pretty disappointed so far with this router. Connections that work are fast, but it doesn't work with fail over (never returns to primary without a power cycle) and 2.4GHz is botched. It keeps assigning ip different ip addresses to devices that have a static entry. What's worse, it is using addresses that are assigned to other devices so that the devices don't work. I removed one of the static entries of a problematic device, and put the manual assignment in the device itself. The device starts up and looks okay from it's end, but there is no access to the network, and the device isn't listed under the connections on the router,

I'm on the latest firmware, and opted out of the beta updates but I'm wondering of the oly updates that are happening are beta? I haven't seen an update in a while, and this this needs constant reboots and manual intervention for basic function. I'd go back to my netgear, but it was passed on to a family member so this ASUS crap is it for now. No Merlin support either yet, so that's not an option.

The only good news is the speed on 5GHz and 6GHz clients it pretty darn fast. On that it does deliver.

Been pretty disappointed so far with this router. Connections that work are fast, but it doesn't work with fail over (never returns to primary without a power cycle) and 2.4GHz is botched. It keeps assigning ip different ip addresses to devices that have a static entry. What's worse, it is using addresses that are assigned to other devices so that the devices don't work. I removed one of the static entries of a problematic device, and put the manual assignment in the device itself. The device starts up and looks okay from it's end, but there is no access to the network, and the device isn't listed under the connections on the router,

I'm on the latest firmware, and opted out of the beta updates but I'm wondering of the oly updates that are happening are beta? I haven't seen an update in a while, and this this needs constant reboots and manual intervention for basic function. I'd go back to my netgear, but it was passed on to a family member so this ASUS crap is it for now. No Merlin support either yet, so that's not an option.

The only good news is the speed on 5GHz and 6GHz clients it pretty darn fast. On that it does deliver.
When I first installed this router, it came with the previous firmware. No issues at all. Everything worked (mostly 2.5gb ethernet) and I've never seen an iPhone download so fast on WiFi. I put the December firmware on and it's just hell. Mesh is broken, settings don't save, assigning IP doesn't work. Complete mess even after resetting all three routers. I check for a firmware update everyday and haven't tried any beta. Is one available. It's been so long I might try it.

See, I had those issues with the previous firmware, but they mostly cleared up with the December update.

So far no public betas yet for either the BE98 Pro or BE96u. Hopefully, an update is coming soon.

Wifi 7 is here. It isn't waiting for anyone.

Intel laptops will be shipping with WiFi 7 soon.

WiFi 6/6E may be a minority today, but that is mostly because of COVID-19 and the chip shortages.

With each WiFi class having to be backwards compatible with all the previous generations, there is no reason to not get a good/great example of a WiFi 7 router when they arrive. Because even the older clients can benefit (from past experience).
One day Apple will also get around to having a WiFi 7 Product as well
Just don’t hold your breath waiting for it

Apple and their poor excuses for productivity at the right prices (hardware and software) aren't even on the radar where 'holding my breath' is involved.

Eg. A customer was buying a Mac back in August. After opening his eyes to the blatantly anti-customer appreciation practices Apple does, he still hasn't bought one. But Lenovo now has a new customer. And he's placing his third order with them this week. His direct comment "Why did I wait so long before I tried a PC!". My response? Too many recommendations from 'geniuses'. ;)

I was able to have mesh between BE96U (Main) and AX88U(Node) over LAN after several attempts, but 5Ghz on AX88u works much faster than on BE96U and never dropped

Welcome to the forums @os2.

That's what my skeptical mind would expect. Gen 1 just ticks boxes. But nothing substantial over what we may already have.

I would return that in a heartbeat to give Asus the message that we not buying their marketing, we're looking for an upgrade over what we already have.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!