1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC86U. Port scan shows port 21 open to WAN. FTP has always been off. How do I close it?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by markpaterson, Aug 18, 2019.

1. markpaterson

markpaterson New Around Here

I'm running Merlin 384.13 on an ASUS RT-AC86U. I installed Merlin yesterday for the first time and did a factory reset after installing.

I've just done a port scan of my home's external IP from a computer outside of my home network and it revealed that Port 21 is open. I have never used the FTP setting on the router, and I confirmed that it's off and the "allow FTP over WAN" is off too.

How do I close this port? I see nothing in the entire firmware that even mentions port 21.

Thanks

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Is it actually open or is it detecting your ISP's equipment and thereby creating a false positive? Try connecting to it from outside your network and see what the banner message says.

That said, there was this fix for FTP in 384.13:
    Code:
    384.13 (31-July-2019)
      - FIXED: FTP would be accessible from the WAN even while disabled
               if you had DualWAN load balancing enabled, or IPTV
               configured.

3. eastavin

eastavin Regular Contributor

Try another scan with Gibson shields up for comparision https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2