What's new

RT-AC87U/R: Cooling solutions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You can also just click the tools tab scroll down and the temps are shown there on Merlin builds.

To get to the temps, click Administration on the left side, then go to the Performance Tuning tab. I'm using my router to encrypt/decrypt my internet traffic to a VPN service, which takes a fair amount of CPU power to do on a fast connection. I would imagine this would heat my router up some if I was downloading a big file at a high speed, but I've never checked. For your case, "stress" isn't really the right word. It's not like you are hurting your router just by having fast internet.

As for the cooling, I can't say definitively that cooling the router will help with stability or longevity of it, but it definitely can't hurt. And after spending that much on a router, a couple fans isn't much more.

Also, if you happen to get the same setup as I have, I also ordered some cheap filters from China to catch the dust http://www.ebay.com/itm/201405462581

I just checked my temps and they are currently

2.4GHz- 47c
5GHz- 55c
CPU- 73c

I might grab a cooler master notepal x3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just got an AC Infinity AI-MPF80A2 to cool mine down. Took me from 82C on the CPU to 60C :)

2015-10-15%2021.23.04.jpg

AsusTemps.png
You can try one fan to intake the other to exhaust for best result.

How do you get the AC3200's temps if running the ASUS firmware?

Asus router bad design ventilation.
I try remove top case.

IMG_20160131213450877.jpg

As you see the result, open case without fan just fine.
back and side hole are useless, it need more ventilation hole on top.

I just checked my temps and they are currently

2.4GHz- 47c
5GHz- 55c
CPU- 73c

I might grab a cooler master notepal x3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mine are 49, 69 and 85 without cooling (ambient temperature around 22 degrees).

I bought a Cooler Master X-Slim (1 160mm fan - USB powered) and the CPU temperature is now in the mid 50s.

Last edited:
My temps are

CPU 73c
5GHz 65c
2.4GHz 48c

I'm not sure I even need extra cooling, and it would be tricky since I have mine hanging on the wall. I did have a thought though.. Would it help to buy one of those USB-powered fans with a flexible arm and connect it to the USB-port of the router? I don't really have alot of other options considering the location and orientation of the router.

My temps are

CPU 73c
5GHz 65c
2.4GHz 48c

I'm not sure I even need extra cooling, and it would be tricky since I have mine hanging on the wall. I did have a thought though.. Would it help to buy one of those USB-powered fans with a flexible arm and connect it to the USB-port of the router? I don't really have alot of other options considering the location and orientation of the router.

It would cost what? Maybe $5 to try that USB fan option?

It would cost what? Maybe $5 to try that USB fan option?

Something like that, but it would be dumb to even try if someone allready has and knows it doesn't work. My primary concern with it is that it might add heat rather than cool the unit since the unit itself would be the power source.

My primary concern with it is that it might add heat rather than cool the unit since the unit itself would be the power source.
if any extra heat it would be at the power supply and not within the router , mind you the asus power supply isnt the biggest and may not be happy with the extra power consumption

if any extra heat it would be at the power supply and not within the router , mind you the asus power supply isnt the biggest and may not be happy with the extra power consumption

Yep, that's also a concern. Though less of one sice asus is honking the fact that they beefed up the power output of the USB-ports... I'm apparently unable to find a link to it but there was a video with some ASUS guy basically explaining that they put extra ampere on the USB-ports to lessen the need for an extra power source for USB-connected hard drives. I'll post if I find it.

yes but it all comes back to the power supply and its amperage which hasnt changed

yes but it all comes back to the power supply and its amperage which hasnt changed

I would hope that they accounted for that if they buffed up the USB-connection but it's hard to know, and I'm not about to fry the PSU "for the hell of it", so we'll just have to see.

I looked at the venting on the unit and noticed mostly on the bottom and each end. I was thinking the heat was collecting in the top until it moved out on each end. I stood it on end leaning it against the wall and the temps went down to 2.4 GHz: 48°C - 5 GHz:48°C - CPU:60°C That's in a 21 degree room. Not the best looking solution or antenna orientation but it is passive cooling in a place out of view and does not affect performance for my wireless distance needs. The temps before were in line what others here were posting without cooling.

That's an ASUS RT-N16 in the photo must be about 5 years old. Still worked just wanted the usb 3.0 and trend micro ai protection, my wife is a maniac on the web.

upload_2016-2-12_8-50-47.png

Last edited:
I looked at the venting on the unit and noticed mostly on the bottom and each end. I was thinking the heat was collecting in the top until it moved out on each end. I stood it on end leaning it against the wall and the temps went down to 2.4 GHz: 48°C - 5 GHz:48°C - CPU:60°C That's in a 21 degree room. Not the best looking solution or antenna orientation but it is passive cooling in a place out of view and does not affect performance for my wireless distance needs. The temps before were in line what others here were posting without cooling.

Pic's?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!