What's new

RT-AC87U WPS light in Stealth mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DanielCoffey

Regular Contributor
I have just flashed my new AC87U to 376.48_1 and have noticed that, despite selecting Stealth mode, the WPS LED comes on after a few hours.

Wireless - WPS - Enable WPS - Off
Tools - Other Settings - Stealth Mode - On

When I turn Stealth Mode on then off, the WPS led goes off but a few hours it is back again. Any ideas?

In addition, what is the expected radio temperature for the 5GHz radio? My RT-N66U ran at 51C/52C for the 2.4 and 5GHz radios but the AC87U is running at 50C/71C/80C for the 2.4, 5GHz and CPU probes and I would like to check this while the router is new.

I have just flashed my new AC87U to 376.48_1 and have noticed that, despite selecting Stealth mode, the WPS LED comes on after a few hours.

Wireless - WPS - Enable WPS - Off
Tools - Other Settings - Stealth Mode - On

I had this happen with IPv6 enabled and occasionally the LED's for the Wan and Lan ports would come back in about 20 hours of run. So I added a daily cron schedule at 10:00 pm just to be safe using this command:

service restart_leds​

Don't know why but it may just be a driver/timing issue but with only IPv4 enabled I don't have the LED issue.

Thanks for the suggestion but I have ipv6 off and the LED still comes on after a few hours or so.

I would like to get to the bottom of this and see why the WPS light is illuminating and it would be nice to get a confirmation of the operating temperatures too.

Your operating temperatures are close to mine...so I would say you are ok there. When it comes to the lights I still suggest that you setup a cron job to run to turn them off again. I can force on of my lights to come on just by inserting a USB drive. After that I have to run the:

service restart_leds​

To have it turn off.

I had the same issue with Tomato firmware where a drop in the WAN port would turn on the WAN light when the ISP came back up. On that firmware they have a "stealthMode" command that creates the appropriate CRON table entries to manage the LEDs.

Here is what I created in Merlin firmware to make sure the LEDS stay off:

/usr/sbin/cru a LEDsoff "0 * * * * /jffs/scripts/fix_leds.sh​

In the fix_leds.sh script I created has the restart_leds service command. It will run on the hour based on the above cron command.

Thanks for the tips so far.

I have got WinSCP up and running and am in the jffs/scripts folder.

I have moved a fix_leds.sh in there containing the following...

#!/bin/sh
service restart_leds

I have set it to executable for the owner but not sure if I need to set executable for group or others.

I don't know what to edit in order to get that script fired off though.

I would suggest you test the script by executing it once in a putty session. If it works you can add it to cron using the cru command. Since the cron schedles will be erased at the reboot of the router you will need to follow the instructions on merlin's wiki on using the services-start script and add the cru command in there.

The step I don't understand in the wiki is how to get the contents of the services-start script to execute on reboot.

I assume it is a .sh file? I assume it is to be made executable. Is it called automatically if present in jffs/scripts or do I have to do something to get it to run?

The step I don't understand in the wiki is how to get the contents of the services-start script to execute on reboot.

I assume it is a .sh file? I assume it is to be made executable. Is it called automatically if present in jffs/scripts or do I have to do something to get it to run?

Yes it is automatically run you don't have to do anything else. You can put a touch command in the begging to create a file in the tmp directory to make sure it did run:

Code:
admin@RT-AC87R-C9F8:/jffs/scripts# cat services-start
#!/bin/sh
touch /tmp/000services-start

after you reboot the router you should find the "000services-start" file in the /tmp directory that would be your indicator the shell script ran.

I assume it is a .sh file?
The file gets saved without an extension.....just services-start

I assume it is to be made executable.
Yes. Execute chmod a+rx services-start

Is it called automatically if present in jffs/scripts or do I have to do something to get it to run?
It will run automatically if present in /jffs/scripts

I have almost got it working now but wondered... does the pair of ledson/ledsoff scripts from the Scheduled LED Control wiki work with the AC87U?

I can see the on and off jobs in the cru list. I can see messages at the correct time in the log to say that the script is called. I have set the two scripts to executable but the leds still stay on so I wondered if the AC87U uses a different variable?

Here are the scripts...

services-start
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/logger -t START_$(basename $0) "started [$@]"
SCRLOG=/tmp/$(basename $0).log
touch $SCRLOG
echo "START_$(basename $0) started [$@]" >> $SCRLOG
/usr/sbin/cru a ledsoff "0 22 * * * /jffs/scripts/ledsoff.sh" >> $SCRLOG
wait
/usr/sbin/cru a ledson "0 7 * * * /jffs/scripts/ledson.sh" >> $SCRLOG
wait
if [ "$?" -ne 0 ]
then
echo "Error in services-start execution! Script: $0" >> $SCRLOG
#exit $?
else
echo "Services-start execution OK. Script: $0" >> $SCRLOG
#exit 0
fi
/usr/bin/logger -t STOP_$(basename $0) "return code $?"
exit $?

ledsoff.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
nvram set led_disable=1
service restart_leds

ledson.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
nvram set led_disable=0
service restart_leds

Try running each of the on and off scripts from the command line to make sure they work. The NVRAM values are correct for the RT-AC87 for LED controls as you used from the wiki.

I am getting closer... the scripts work but don't start as I would expect.

cd /jffs/scripts
ls -l *.sh

This shows both the ledson.sh and ledsoff.sh and proves they have execute permission.

Calling the ledsoff script directly...

ledsoff.sh

... gives the error...

-sh: ledsoff.sh: not found

If I call it through the shell it works...

sh ledsoff.sh

This turns off the leds as expected and gives a Done. message.

Is there a path or permission missing from my router config that is causing this?

I am getting closer... the scripts work but don't start as I would expect.

cd /jffs/scripts
ls -l *.sh

This shows both the ledson.sh and ledsoff.sh and proves they have execute permission.

Calling the ledsoff script directly...

ledsoff.sh

... gives the error...

-sh: ledsoff.sh: not found

If I call it through the shell it works...

sh ledsoff.sh

This turns off the leds as expected and gives a Done. message.

Is there a path or permission missing from my router config that is causing this?

Logic states that if you can explicitly successfully run the script via the 'sh' command, then the following

Code:
#!/bin/sh

is not present / correctly defined as the first line of the script - the usual issue is that the line is terminated by the 'CRLF' characters (usually Windows Notepad is the culprit) rather than the mandatory 'LF' character used by 'vi' or Notepad++

Regards,

Ta da! That was it.

While I had used Notepad++, it was still not happy with the end of the first line. I recreated the scripts from scratch using the internal editor in WinSCP and voila - they worked first time.

Ta da! That was it.

While I had used Notepad++, it was still not happy with the end of the first line. I recreated the scripts from scratch using the internal editor in WinSCP and voila - they worked first time.

I have configured WinSCP to use Notepad++ by default but I do remember to enable unix format!

Code:
EDIT->EOL CONVERSION->UNIX/OSF FORMAT

and ensure I have the 'Show ALL Characters' option turned on just in case! :D

Just an update to the WPS light issue... I think I may have observed an event where the WPS light toggles that is easily repeatable.

I have both radios set to turn on and off on a schedule of ON at 07:00 and OFF at 23:00 all seven days. A couple of minutes after 23:00 on two consecutive days, the WPS light had latched on (until the next hourly reset LED script run of course).

I didn't sit and wait for the WPS LED, I just noticed that it was on and the time on both nights was within 5-10 minutes of the radios going off. The light has not been visible during the day.

Hello,
I have the same issue with the LED's in the stealth mode (AC87U).
My ISP makes a forced disconnection after 24h and after the
automatically reconnection, the LAN LED's are on.
When I use the 'service restart_leds' command with telnet,
then the LED's are OFF again (for 24h).
Is there a script, that check if the LED's are on and turn off the
LED's automatically?