What's new

RT-ACC88U & Disconnects / Packet Loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

langesgnu

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everybody,

on my home network I have now since 3 years an AC88U with RMerlin firmware (now 386.5_2), but since some time it is driving me crazy. It seems like after a certain time without being reset, the router starts to drop packets from my computer, at least this is what I wittness when gaming or surfing. When doing a continous ping for a local website via the router (Network Tools / Network Analysis) and at the same time on my computer via ping -t, then I see a certain amount of packet loss on my computer while the router does not report any packets being lost. Also it seems that the longer I play a game, the worse it gets, while the router sort of "calms down" after I stop playing something for a while.

When I do a factory reset and setup everything from skratch again, then I do not have issues for 1-2 months, afterwards the whole game does start over gain. First I though this is related to the USB sticks attached running the scripts, so I changed these. Then I changed the whole USB setup to an external SSD, finally when I read about the port 5-8 bug I also did change this setup so my computer is now connected to port 4. As the whole thing is now happening again, it seems to be something else. The router is sufficient for my needs (except for the missing wireguard support), so I would only buy a new one if I do not find the issue.

Anyone has an idea what this is about and how I could solve it?

Additional question: According to other threads, newer features (including the wireguard server) are only available on HND models, while I was not able to find a list of these. Anyone knows where such a list could be found?