What's new

RT-AX56U Requiring Multiple reboots

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RS82UK

New Around Here
I have a RT-AX56U and on daily basis I am having to reboot it as one or more of my devices will struggle to get a connection.
The device having issues will vary from pc's to xbox's to my children's android tablets.
They connect to the wifi but cannot get an internet connection.
I am using it in conjunction with The Modem router from my provider Vodafone, could this be part of the issue and would I be better placed, switching to a standalone modem to use with the Asus router.

Have you tried disabling WiFi 6 to see if that's the culprit?
It kind of depends on how you've got the Vodafone router configured - if it's not in bridge mode you're probably introducing nasty double NAT/multiple DHCP server etc issues. I personally use a Vigor 130 for a modem, which is a bit pricey but absolutely rock solid. You could just grab an ECI or Huawei EchoLife Openreach modem off eBay for a lot less. Chances are you can just use what you currently have though - I'd say try searching for bridge mode settings for whatever model your current Vodafone router is.

That's all presuming you're UK based based on your name :D

I'm having a similar issue. It happened today when I returned home and my smartphone told me that it could not obtain the IP address (ac, connected to 5Ghz). I could connect to 2.4GHz, but reconnecting back to 5GHz led to the same error. Then I turned on my old laptop (uses n) and saw an error informing me that the laptop is connected to the WIFI but without Internet. My first idea was that it too could not obtain an IP address, but it was displayed in the connection settings. The strange thing is that turning WIFI off and then back on or restarting the laptop did not solve the problem. At this time, other clients that were connected to the router had no problems at all. I logged in to the router from another device and saw that both my smartphone and laptop were listed as connected. Router restart solved these issues immediately.

The only configuration setting that I changed on the router was the channel width (I selected 80MHZ), all other settings are in their defaults. That's the second time I experience the problem on my phone with IP address on AX56u, but the first time I have connection problems on my laptop.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!