What's new

ax56u EOL and security?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DavidM258

New Around Here
I see no urgency for you to change it immediately. The Singapore post is just Asus' obligation in that country, other countries may or may not have their own mandatory support periods. Worry about it in 2025 when there may be better routers available and the current routers are cheaper.

Last edited:
Well, I took this into account as well
Although everywhere they say AX56U V2 which is a different HW and maybe only in China.
The question is whether the AX56U V1 is also affected.
However. not much support for AX56. Some much cheaper Asus routers have the same support...
Thanks.

Just FYI, the latest Merlin 3004.388.6 Beta now (again) supports RT-AX56U, so you can wait for the final release and then just update to 388.6.

Just FYI, the latest Merlin 3004.388.6 Beta now (again) supports RT-AX56U, so you can wait for the final release and then just update to 388.6.
OK.Thanks.However Merlin no longer supports AX56U right? I'll probably wait to see if it doesn't appear, for example, for the Tomato or DD-WRT router.
By the way. In the Czech Republic. discounted the AX TUF 4200 to about $110. According to reviews, it is better and paradoxically cheaper than the TUF AX 3000 V2.
I was thinking for a while that I would buy it and turn the AX56 into a Mesh.

Ikona Ověřeno komunitou

RMerlin seems to have resurrected the AX-56U program. There's a beta for 388.6 available right now.
However Merlin no longer supports AX56U right?

I'm currently cursing Asus support.:) And I wonder why they ended support and some cheaper AC AX leave the theoretical one...
If I decide and move it to the Mesh role.Which router +- in the price of AX 4200 or 3000 V2 is a better choice? Higher models do not make sense due to the connection speed of approx. 80mb...Thanks.

Which router +- in the price of AX 4200 or 3000 V2 is a better choice?

Between the two models I personally would prefer Broadcom based TUF-AX3000 V2. It's a closer hardware/software match to your Broadcom based RT-AX56U. TUF-AX4200 is a MediaTek based router. In terms of performance to Wi-Fi connected clients both will work the same way.

I also have RT-AX59U, which is quite similar to TUF-AX4200 in terms of hardware, and, to be honest, I like it more than the Broadcom-based models in this price range. In my scenario, it provides better reception and speed compared to similarly priced Broadcom models (probably because it is 3X3, even though it is the 3X3:2 configuration), with great stability, absolutely nothing to complain about. It replaced RT-AX58U and provides better range and speed, so, from my experience, I would rather buy TUF AX4200. I remember that we already discussed the Mediatek vs Broadcom topic on this forum, for example, here is a post from another user who also replaced RT-AX58U with TUF AX4200 and says that the latter is much faster.

Last edited:
For stand alone application TUF-AX4200 is perhaps the better choice indeed. It has ongoing OpenWrt development as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!