What's new

RT-AX86U PRO page now up ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm not sure which of the info I have are public, and which are confidential, so I can't elaborate. But you can compare the (limited) info published on Broadcom's website. For instance the BCM4912 adds support for two 10 Gbps ports, and DDR4 support (which means an upgraded memory controller at the very least).

Sorry for the ignorance , will the AX86UPRO introduce VLAN support?

Most likely, no.

This would have been all over the forums if so.

still no signs of this router anywhere except from shady resellers

I mean the rog ax6000 on black friday reals is better than even the provanyway
Can you explain why? Does it have a better CPU? range? or how is it better?

Can you explain why? Does it have a better CPU? range? or how is it better?

GT-AX6000 has 4x4 2.4G and 2x 2.5G ports. AX86U PRO is only 3x3 2.4G and 1x 2.5G. Same main CPU and same main 5G radio.

They use the same newer Gen 2 BCM AX platform but amplifier choice could be different (for better or worse), no one knows.

Design layout of product is innately different. Could impact subjective performance per home layout.

Per hardware choice, the GT-AX6000 offers more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Local Canadian retailers have started putting up pages for it, but no one has stock yet. $389 CDN which is about $30 more than current list for the RT-AX86U

My current router is a AX88U. Any reason to upgrade to a RT-AX86U Pro? Or is any other model 'better'? Since the RT-AX86U Pro just got released, I guess there is no other new model in this range coming soon is there?

If your current AX class router is working well for your needs, there is no reason to upgrade to the 'pro' today.

The better-balanced (hardware) upgrade path is still the GT-AX6000.

At the prices for the 'pro' so far, there is no compelling reason to buy this over the original RT-AX86U (until and if testing shows the 'pro' with significantly better performance, range, or both).

If you do get one, please do a detailed comparative test and report back here with those results.

My current router is a AX88U. Any reason to upgrade to a RT-AX86U Pro? Or is any other model 'better'? Since the RT-AX86U Pro just got released, I guess there is no other new model in this range coming soon is there?
I had the AX88U and any firmware after the 384.xx range (ie. 386.xx) would cause the router to intermittently disconnect from the internet until I rebooted it. This happened both on the ASUS official firmware and on the Merlin Firmware. It was perfectly fine on older firmware and I've seen similar issues on the forum so I upgraded to the GT-AX6000 and couldn't be happier as I didn't want to wait longer for the AX86U Pro and didn't want to get the AX86U knowing something better is out there. Very happy with the speed and wireless range of the GT-AX6000 and didn't have a single disconnection since I bought it. Running on the latest ASUS firmware not Merlin.

I had the AX88U and any firmware after the 384.xx range (ie. 386.xx) would cause the router to intermittently disconnect from the internet until I rebooted it. This happened both on the ASUS official firmware and on the Merlin Firmware. It was perfectly fine on older firmware and I've seen similar issues on the forum so I upgraded to the GT-AX6000 and couldn't be happier as I didn't want to wait longer for the AX86U Pro and didn't want to get the AX86U knowing something better is out there. Very happy with the speed and wireless range of the GT-AX6000 and didn't have a single disconnection since I bought it. Running on the latest ASUS firmware not Merlin.
Ok, that was kinda scary to hear. So this is a known problem? No known cause?

The best guesstimate is faulty drivers.

Or an incorrectly set up router.

Ok, that was kinda scary to hear. So this is a known problem? No known cause?

WiFi disconnect on new firmare 388 -AX88U

Ax88u disconnect clients

RT-AX88U w/ Centurylink ONT -- Persistent Disconnects (HELP?)

Persistent internet disconnects on RT-AX88U with RP-AX56 node.

WAN disconnect issue RT-AX88U 386.1_2 merlin

RT-AX88U PPPoE disconnect help

RT-AX88U - Internet status: disconnected

AX88U Internet disconnect every reboot

rt-ax88u net disconnect but not wan

Or an incorrectly set up router.
Trust me, I have tried everything, factory resets, not enabling the 160hz band, default settings, tweaked settings, it was just not working with any firmware of 386.xx but was perfectly stable on the older firmwares

AX86 Pro came up for sale in DK a few days ago, roughly 355 USD
AX6000 goes for 325 USD,..... but the size

The interest comes from replacing a AX88 that is going to replace a AC86 at the countryside

GT-AX6000 came up locally on sale at most Canadian retailers @ $319 CAD today. I was waiting for this PRO to show up in stock but $319 is a steal not to pass up considering the AX86U PRO is listed at
$380 CAD whenever stock shows up for it.

GT-AX6000 came up locally on sale at most Canadian retailers @ $319 CAD today. I was waiting for this PRO to show up in stock but $319 is a steal not to pass up considering the AX86U PRO is listed at
$380 CAD whenever stock shows up for it.

That is a steal! Just got mine 2 weeks ago here in Dubai for 735 CAD then a week later the price dropped to 627 CAD so you are basically getting it for free almost considering how good it is and it has the new processor just like the AX86U PRO

If all firmwares after 384 is a problem, well we need to run more then 2 year old firmware. Cannot possibly be all AX88U with 386+ firmware having a problem? Then all kinds of boards would be floded with complaints, and Asus could not have released the firmwares. So do we have any idea why some have problems while others not?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!