What's new

RT-AX86U/RT-AX5700 hits the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Everything you want running at 2.5 Gbps will need to be 2.5 Gbps capable. That means the NAS, the switch, and the PC's Ethernet interface as well.
Will the rt-ax86u have hardware crypto acceleration? Does this acceleration work with openvpn or ipsec only?

Last edited:
iPhone 11 is Wi-Fi 6 (AX) but to be truthful, does it even matter?
We don't use iPhone to stream 4K movies or anything like it so to us it doesn't matter. I read Wi-Fi 6 helps preserve battery life so who knows....
That's probably true about battery life - I think something to do with 802.11v/k that WiFi6 incorporates...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11v <= this gets devices talking better to each other (battery life: "hey dude, you'll want to connect there")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11k-2008 <= that helps on the mesh side of things
a bunch of ax86 meshed would be pretty amazeballs with a ridiculous connection. Now Merlin needs to start seeing code so he can incorporate it... This'll be a router platform with some longevity, I think

That's probably true about battery life - I think something to do with 802.11v/k that WiFi6 incorporates...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11v <= this gets devices talking better to each other (battery life: "hey dude, you'll want to connect there")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11k-2008 <= that helps on the mesh side of things
a bunch of ax86 meshed would be pretty amazeballs with a ridiculous connection. Now Merlin needs to start seeing code so he can incorporate it... This'll be a router platform with some longevity, I think

Myself have managed well even in a large ~3500sqft house with only one router placed in central upstairs location and
one wired access point in the garage (separate SSID) for IPCams...
Tried Aimesh in the past, what a mess and not interested in going back anytime soon :)
What I would do these days is going with a real Mesh solution. Ubiquiti. You really want to separate routing from Access Points...

Will the rt-ax86u have hardware crypto acceleration? Does this acceleration work with openvpn or ipsec only?

It has AES-acceleration which will benefit OpenVPN. No idea if it has the crypto engine used by IPSEC however, quite likely it does, but I don't know if Asus leverages it.

Myself have managed well even in a large ~3500sqft house with only one router placed in central upstairs location and
one wired access point in the garage (separate SSID) for IPCams...
Tried Aimesh in the past, what a mess and not interested in going back anytime soon :)
What I would do these days is going with a real Mesh solution. Ubiquiti. You really want to separate routing from Access Points...
A friend of mine has suggested I spend more time looking at Ubiquiti's stuff - he showed me an AP of theirs that fits in a standard electrical wall box.

A friend of mine has suggested I spend more time looking at Ubiquiti's stuff - he showed me an AP of theirs that fits in a standard electrical wall box.
Its neat stuff but requires some work, AP's need to be located properly, power over Ethernet....

Got mine hooked up this afternoon. So far, it has been fantastic. Very happy I replaced my AC88u.

Testing with my Samsung S20 Plus, the Wi-Fi 6 connection is definitely an improvement.

I have a symmetrical 1 Gbps Fiber line and testing with Ookla there is a difference on Wi-Fi.

Attached are some speed test comparisons using the same test server. These two are my AC88u and my S20 could barely crack 400.

Screenshot_20200823-230256_Speedtest.jpg

Screenshot_20200823-230328_Speedtest.jpg

These are the AX86u and are from different points around my apartment.

Screenshot_20200823-230012_Speedtest.jpg

20200823_225936.jpg

Screenshot_20200823-231856_Speedtest.jpg

For reference, my Desktop, hardwire get around 950 both ways.

Got mine hooked up this afternoon. So far, it has been fantastic. Very happy I replaced my AC88u.

Testing with my Samsung S20 Plus, the Wi-Fi 6 connection is definitely an improvement.

I have a symmetrical 1 Gbps Fiber line and testing with Ookla there is a difference on Wi-Fi.

Attached are some speed test comparisons using the same test server. These two are my AC88u and my S20 could barely crack 400.

View attachment 25714

View attachment 25715

These are the AX86u and are from different points around my apartment.

View attachment 25717

View attachment 25716

View attachment 25718

For reference, my Desktop, hardwire get around 950 both ways.

I am on a Gigabit (1G download, 25 Mbps upload) and getting this on my iPad with RT-AC86U.
I am not sure anymore, may send the RT-AX86U back.
Really no need for me to upgrade now, I’ll probably wait another year...
I am getting 930 Mbps via Ethernet.

37C15F41-3253-40D6-8C77-02AC29213564.jpeg

Got it today, decided to keep it.
Set up offline using Ethernet to PC.
Faster interface and overall faster but not by much.
IPad Air below...
RAM is at 52%, no USB connected... 4 cores are basically at idle....
What is nice is that it simply seems to work, no hiccups whatsoever...

D7502FB1-4B81-4423-B52D-EEAC3D0EB464.jpeg

Last edited:
Got it today, decided to keep it.
Set up offline using Ethernet to PC.
Faster interface and overall faster but not by much.
IPad Air below...
RAM is at 52%, no USB connected... 4 cores are basically at idle....
What is nice is that it simply seems to work, no hiccups whatsoever...

View attachment 25739

Like you, I don't really need to replace my ac86u either but I might just jump in if it ever gets to Best Buy Canada AND on sale. It actually showed up there a few weeks ago with no inventory, then they removed the page and it hasn't been put back yet so not sure what's up with that. But then again, I'm in no rush. (I'd actually use the ax86u as an AP to start. I tried that with an AX Netgear recently and that was a disaster and went back).

I just like to extend the service life of my current network with newer hardware, and keeping some older working stuff on the shelf just in case, not looking necessarily for AX.

Like you, I don't really need to replace my ac86u either but I might just jump in if it ever gets to Best Buy Canada AND on sale. It actually showed up there a few weeks ago with no inventory, then they removed the page and it hasn't been put back yet so not sure what's up with that. But then again, I'm in no rush. (I'd actually use the ax86u as an AP to start. I tried that with an AX Netgear recently and that was a disaster and went back).

I just like to extend the service life of my current network with newer hardware, and keeping some older working stuff on the shelf just in case, not looking necessarily for AX.
I got it at Newegg Canada.
I feel (not proven) that this one will be good for years. It seems more powerful, runs cooler...even the small details, proper power switch (not that darn push button)...
As an Access Point I feel the AX-86U is total overkill, its a router. I am using a nice and good looking TP-Link EAP225 and its perfect and only $70

Last edited:
I got it at Newegg Canada.
I feel (not proven) that this one will be good for years. It seems more powerful, runs cooler...even the small details, proper power switch (not that darn push button)...
As an Access Point I feel the AX-86U is total overkill, its a router. I am using a nice and good looking TP-Link EAP225 and its perfect and only $70

Going to second this. I have owned the AC68, AC87 and the AC88. The ease of which I got this installed and how powerful it feels, it reminds me of the AC68.

The AC87 was the biggest disappointment. Burned the 5 Ghz out in a year and took forever to boot.

The AC88 started out great, but burn through two of them thanks to a lightning strike.

Going to second this. I have owned the AC68, AC87 and the AC88. The ease of which I got this installed and how powerful it feels, it reminds me of the AC68.

The AC87 was the biggest disappointment. Burned the 5 Ghz out in a year and took forever to boot.

The AC88 started out great, but burn through two of them thanks to a lightning strike.
Now that you mentioned it, just got 2 of these inexpensive Amazon power bars with surge protectors last week. Never used stuff like this but for this neat router I said, what the heck! :)

Now that you mentioned it, just got 2 of these inexpensive Amazon power bars with surge protectors last week. Never used stuff like this but for this neat router I said, what the heck! :)

Totally worth it. Lost a cable modem, NAS enclosure, and got the router stick in 100/10 mode on the WAN port and fried a few ports. Think it came in on the Coax line.

Notebook Wi-Fi link "Speed" faster (router 2m away)...

IMG_9371.jpg

iPhone 11 speeds are much faster BUT only if the iphone is 1 or 2m away from the router...
If the iPhone is 10m away no difference to RT-AC86U router....
I would not upgrade to AX from AC for speed or anything else, only if you need a new router anyways....

IMG_9370.jpg

Max rate (inSSIDer) are for sure improved from 1,733.3 on AC (Wi-Fi 5) before...

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
Hello All! Stupid question but I just got the RT-ax86 does it have the Cut Through Forwarding (or what Asus calls it)? If so where do I go in the GUI to enable it?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!