What's new

Beta RT-AX86U_Pro Beta firmware 9.0.0.6.102_3506

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
This seems to have gone under the radar...

Code:
ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 9.0.0.6.102.3506
Version 9.0.0.6.102.3506 Beta Version 54.47 MB
Be noted: This is an early stage beta, there might be bugs. This version can be downgraded via web GUI only.

New Features:
1. Add Guest Network Pro:
• Kids WiFi: Create a network for kids that blocks access to adult content and has a schedule to control when the network is available.
• VPN WiFi: Create a VPN network that connects to 3rd party VPN services or with ASUS site to site VPN(https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1048281/) to encrypts your internet connection and hides your IP address to protect your online activities from being tracked or monitored.
• IoT WiFi : Create an IoT (Internet of Things) network that blocks malicious traffic* and only allows 2.4GHz devices to connect.
• Guest WiFi: Create a guest network with a WiFi schedule and access rights to control when and how guests can use the network.
2. Add VLAN in LAN settings.
3. Add Auto USB WAN backup, while primary WAN is down, plug USB phone/dongle will auto enable backup internet, no setup is required.
4. Add iPhone USB tethering. (Please make sure hotspot on iPhone is enabled).
5. Add Multi-services WAN, create multiple profiles on a single WAN interface.

GuestNetwork_Pro.png

VLAN.png

WAN1.png

WAN2.png

I have to admit Guest Network PRO looks rather intuitive & reasonably useful for many homes & families, nice-stuff.
I haven't looked into it, but I suspect it involves VLANs.

There is a major overhaul of networking in 3.0.0.6, as Asus implemented SDN, and are using it for Guest Networks, VLAN definitions and WAN service definitions. I'm not sure if the design will stay the same in the long run, I suspect the current WAN implementation might be unintuitive for novice home users. I assume once it goes into wider public testing, end users will be able to provide feedback on whether they find the new design intuitive to use or not.

Yes, I got the RT-AX86U Pro and GT-AX11000 Pro a few months ago.
Well that is rather exciting indeed, enjoy the tinkering... I'm jealous.
Regardless we always appreciative the expertise & knowledge you continue to share.
And HAPPY-NEW-YEAR !!!

Now this is something to justify the Pro in the name!

I'm curious if Pro functions are coming to already Pro hardware GT-AX6000 router or it's going to be marketing limited.
So far the beta seems to be for HND 5.04 devices. The GT-AX6000 and GT-AXE16000 don`t carry the Pro suffix because they weren't replacements for existing models.

Asus hasn't made their plans public yet.

It's time to sell the AX86S :p

edit : Apologies, didn’t even realised this router was released months ago *facepalm

Last edited:
Why? Did it stop doing anything that it was doing when you bought it?
No it didn't. Bought it for £139 new. It has served/serving me well learning about networking. Just recently a friend been asking if I am going to sell it. maybe he could benefit from it and I can treat myself lol

No it didn't. Bought it for £139 new. It has served/serving me well learning about networking. Just recently a friend been asking if I am going to sell it. maybe he could benefit from it and I can treat myself lol
Don't base any decision on very early beta software. For all we know, they might end up scrapping some of these features if they prove to be problematic. Or they could offer them to every device that is AX-based.

All we know so far is which models offer that beta, and the FAQ related to Guest Networking Pro lists a few models that are related to that specific feature. Based on that FAQ, it seems to imply that that least GN Pro won't be available only for Pro devices. Unless, once again, things changes during the beta stage.

The RT-AX86S is a great router if you can get it at a discounted price, and have no need for 2.5 Gbps Ethernet (very few home users do quite frankly). I've seen it at $199 CAD right now:

@RMerlin, Are you involved in any of the 9.0.0.6 GUI design and feature discussions? Any idea if/when 9.0.0.4 will be merged/superceded by 9.0.0.6?

Don't base any decision on very early beta software. For all we know, they might end up scrapping some of these features if they prove to be problematic. Or they could offer them to every device that is AX-based.

All we know so far is which models offer that beta, and the FAQ related to Guest Networking Pro lists a few models that are related to that specific feature. Based on that FAQ, it seems to imply that that least GN Pro won't be available only for Pro devices. Unless, once again, things changes during the beta stage.

The RT-AX86S is a great router if you can get it at a discounted price, and have no need for 2.5 Gbps Ethernet (very few home users do quite frankly). I've seen it at $199 CAD right now:

It is a great router. But I mainly use it for new firmware/configuration testing now and uses AX86U for main router. I am not basing it on the beta software, solely on specs, mainly the processor. The 86S is back in the cupboard now after final config for 388.1 and applying it to AX86U.

edit : Apologies, didn’t even realised this router was released months ago *facepalm

Last edited:
Are you involved in any of the 9.0.0.6 GUI design and feature discussions?
I'm not an Asus employee, so beyond feedback, I have limited influence over their development.

Any idea if/when 9.0.0.4 will be merged/superceded by 9.0.0.6?

I assume you mean 3.0.0.4 and 3.0.0.6 (since 9.0.0.x simply mean a beta firmware). I have no additional information to share at this time, sorry. While I was already aware that some of these features were coming, that public beta release was also a surprise to me (I was expecting some of the discussed features to be part of 388, now I know why they weren't there when 388 launched as they are showing up in this new release).

My gut feeling is that 3.0.0.4 and 3.0.0.6 will exist in parallel, just like they currently have 3.0.0.4.382, 384, 386 and 388 depending on the model. Sometimes, changes trickle down to other branches, but most of the time they are bug fixes or basic features (like support for more ISPs) rather than significant features. Based on how complex the implementation for these new features must be, I highly doubt they will find their way into 3.0.0.4 code.

I can return my GT-AX6000 until the end of January.

I’m wondering whether I should go for the AX86U Pro after all…

Edit: huh, the AX86U Pro costs €40 more than I paid for the GT-AX6000?!

I'm not an Asus employee, so beyond feedback, I have limited influence over their development.

I assume you mean 3.0.0.4 and 3.0.0.6 (since 9.0.0.x simply mean a beta firmware). I have no additional information to share at this time, sorry. While I was already aware that some of these features were coming, that public beta release was also a surprise to me (I was expecting some of the discussed features to be part of 388, now I know why they weren't there when 388 launched as they are showing up in this new release).

My gut feeling is that 3.0.0.4 and 3.0.0.6 will exist in parallel, just like they currently have 3.0.0.4.382, 384, 386 and 388 depending on the model. Sometimes, changes trickle down to other branches, but most of the time they are bug fixes or basic features (like support for more ISPs) rather than significant features. Based on how complex the implementation for these new features must be, I highly doubt they will find their way into 3.0.0.4 code.

Thanks. These feature updates are driving me to give more consideration to upgrading to a newer router in the not too distant future. I suppose I'll wait to see when 3.0.0.6 hits the street and when you begin merging your code with it. Feels like you ended up with double the work if 3.0.0.6 requires another significant effort to merge compared to 3.0.0.4.388.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!