What's new

Beta RT-AX86U_Pro Beta firmware 9.0.0.6.102_3506

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which router do you use?

Can you explain what iPhone tether means?

Deciding if I want to keep an AX86S or AX86U.. both were purchased at a good price.

IPhone tether basically means you can plug your iPhone to USB and broadcast Phone's Hotspot data to entire home/location. Worked for Android, but iPhone was never supported.

Synology routers have supported iPhone tether, but It's nice to see it come to ASUS platforms. Hope same is true for 490X based routers..

Last edited:
Highly unlikely, as 3.0.0.6 won't be available for the RT-AX86U.

They are both different hardware (bcm4908 vs bcm4912), and different software SDK (Broadcom HND 5.02 vs HND 5.04).
Oh! That's really a bummer! It leaves my gt-ax11000 and 7x rt-ax92u out of support for the new features

What do you mean by "same updates"? Each router has its own model-specific firmware.
@ronorbar probably means would one be receiving updates longer than the other from ASUS.

For 9.0.0.6/3.0.0.6, does anyone know if when using two routers in main/AP mode whether a guest network on the AP router will adhere to isolation from the regular network?

For 9.0.0.6/3.0.0.6, does anyone know if when using two routers in main/AP mode whether a guest network on the AP router will adhere to isolation from the regular network?

I found the answer. It appears that in AP mode, Guest network isolation will be possible. I tried it out with the AX6000 set as an AP to my AC86U on 386.9 operating as the main router, but perhaps not surprisingly, the entire Guest network operability on the AX600 is not working. Regardless of whether or not "Access Intranet" is enabled, I have no access to the intranet or internet when my computer is on the AX6000 guest network. The only thing that I can access is the AX6000 itself only when Access Intranet is enabled. Perhaps some of this is due to the AC86U main router running 386.9.

A few other tidbits:
  • I also found that the AX6000 guest network does not appear in the AX6000 wireless log.
  • When my computer is connected to the AX6000 guest network, the Guest Network status does not indicate any devices are connected, and my computer doesn't show up in the main client list either.
Overall, this firmware is definitely beta quality.

AX6000 9006.104.3502 Guest Network screen shot.jpg

In terms of performance should there be a difference between them?
CPU-wise, both have the same CPU.

Wireless-wise, someone would have to do an in depth review to compare them, but I suspect they should be fairly close since they're the same hardware generation.

The GT-AX6000 seems to be 4x4 on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, where the RT-AX86U Pro "only" is 3x3 on 2.4 GHz.
I honestly doubt what client hardware can deal with 4x4 on 2.4 GHz.
My major reason to pick the RT-AX86U Pro is the vertical form factor, the router is positioned on a rather small shelf.

CPU-wise, both have the same CPU.

Wireless-wise, someone would have to do an in depth review to compare them, but I suspect they should be fairly close since they're the same hardware generation.

So really the differences are form factor and the additional antenna on the AX6000? And the additional 2.5GB port?

So really the differences are form factor and the additional antenna on the AX6000? And the additional 2.5GB port?
GT-AX6000 is also a ROG product, so it features RGB and the ROG UI.

We still don't know how the new RT-AX88U PRO will differ? Also has the additional antenna and 2.5 port.... but its not ROG...

I'm operating an RT-AX86U-Pro with the beta firmware 9.0.0.6.102_3506 to explore its features.

Looking at the Guest Network Pro features: this is looks like another way to create only wireless networks, so it doesn't appear to give me the ability to affect activity on ethernet ports.
Looking at the LAN>VLAN>VLAN or the LAN>VLAN>Profile pages in the UI: Trying to figure out the UI here, but, similarly, it looks like I can only associate with a WiFi network.

RT-AX86U Pro VLAN page 75pct.jpg

SDN Profile pull-downs allow me to select only the one guest Wifi network I have currently configured on the router.

RT-AX86U Pro VLAN profile page 75pct.jpg

Network Name shows the one Wifi network configured on the router. Not sure what Port isolation would further accomplish since it's already restricted from intranet access as a guest network.
The FAQ on Asus' site describes some general VLAN basics and only little more. Combined with the less-than-stellar use of language, I'm afraid it doesn't help very much with specifics.

My goal:
I'd like to reserve one ethernet port for devices that I don't want to allow access to other ethernet ports, essentially giving that ethernet port access to WAN only. I'd like to place a switch there so that I can connect a few devices.
Other ethernet ports and Wifi networks should have access to each other and to WAN, as one would normally expect (Wifi networks preserving expected restrictions to LAN access by designating them as Guest or not).

Can I do this? (yet?)

I believe you can, and I bought the RT-AX86U Pro for the same purpose. But the UI is very confusing. As you said, if you create a non-wifi VLAN from LAN -> VLAN -> Profile, you cannot connect it to an ethernet port which means the VLAN is unusable.

I think the solution is to create a “Guest network pro” and then disable wireless for that VLAN/Guest network pro. Select the Guest network and go to Wifi and AiMesh settings and select Wifi band “none”.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!