What's new

RT-AX88U snmpd - mini Guide

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Got this working on my 86 as well.
Been wanting to use SNMP again ever since I went from the 87 to the 86.

Hi all,

Thanks for this thread, have recently come back to Asus and Merlin after my old Synology router died. I was lucky/spoilt in that the previous Merlin FW and hardware I was running years ago meant SNMP was built in and needed no configuration. I'm therefore unfamiliar with Entware, running a USB key in the router and needing to install a specific package for SNMP to work, but am willing to learn. Like others in this thread, I'm using Networx/PeakHour to monitor bandwidth.

Now running an RT-AX88U with the latest available Merlin FW. I'm currently looking at the AMTM menu but unsure if I need to format a disk first, etc. Could someone kindly guide me through please?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Have a look at the link in my signature below and look for the amtm Step-by-Step guide.

Just note that you will not need to install amtm (it is already installed on RMerlin firmware since version 384.15_0).

Have a look at the link in my signature below and look for the amtm Step-by-Step guide.

Just note that you will not need to install amtm (it is already installed on RMerlin firmware since version 384.15_0).

Thanks for your help - I was midway fudging my way through when you replied. Thought it best to just dive in the deep end and see how I went. The biggest difficulty I had, never having done CLI stuff before, was actually creating the file.

Now up and going on both Networx and PeakHour. Can I just clarify, with this implementation of snmpd, should the counters be reporting as high capacity or not? Have confirmed via the mini-snmpd GitHub that the counters are 32bit only.

Last edited:
Does any one know if this code can be made to implement 64bit counters for SNMP on the RT-AX88U and similar?

https://github.com/ndmsystems/mini_snmpd

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm having problems with this too ... highspeed counters don't seem to be supported and my counters are wrapping at about 100 Mbps (on a 4 Gbps LAG :( ) -

Code:
--base: Walking ifHighSpeed
--base: snmpget public@192.168.0.1:::::2:v4only for ifHighSpeed.1 -> unknown Mb/s
--base: snmpget public@192.168.0.1:::::2:v4only for ifHCInOctets.1 -> unknown
--base: check for HighspeedCounters failed ... Dropping back to V1
--base: snmpget public@192.168.0.1:::::2:v4only for ifHighSpeed.2 -> unknown Mb/s
--base: snmpget public@192.168.0.1:::::2:v4only for ifHCInOctets.2 -> unknown
--base: check for HighspeedCounters failed ... Dropping back to V1

Yeah, I'm having problems with this too ... highspeed counters don't seem to be supported and my counters are wrapping at about 100 Mbps (on a 4 Gbps LAG :( ) -

I couldn't find any SNMP based solutions, so I spent the afternoon writing my own traffic stats server in Python with Flask ... very easy to deploy if anyone is interested - https://github.com/hyacin75/ax88u_traffic_stats_server ... it outputs data in an MRTG friendly format - if you need it another way that's on you :)

It's not venv or container based because venv doesn't seem to like the AX88U, and I'm not even going to think about trying to get Docker running on it just for this.

Hi,

I would like install snmp also on my AX88U for ZABBIX, but i have the message opkg: not found.

Can you help me?

Hi,

Thank you. I installed snmp with entware.
I configured the S50mini_snmpd file but I cannot retrieve the info via zabbix.
If I teste snmpwalk, i have :
:~$ snmpwalk -v2c -c public 192.168.1.1
Timeout: No Response from 192.168.1.1

Hi,

Thank you. I installed snmp with entware.
I configured the S50mini_snmpd file but I cannot retrieve the info via zabbix.
If I teste snmpwalk, i have :
:~$ snmpwalk -v2c -c public 192.168.1.1
Timeout: No Response from 192.168.1.1

This is just basic Linux troubleshoot at this point ...

Is it running?

Code:
me@RT-AX88U-08C8:/tmp/home/root# ps w | grep -i snmp
 1644 me       2116 S    mini_snmpd -i eth0,eth1,eth2,eth3,eth4,eth6,eth7,bond0,bon0.11,bon0.12,br0,bond1,br1,wl0.1,tun11,tun15,tu
 3255 me       5432 S    grep -i snmp
me@RT-AX88U-08C8:/tmp/home/root#

Is it listening?

Code:
me@RT-AX88U-08C8:/tmp/home/root# netstat -anp | grep mini_snmp
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:161             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1644/mini_snmpd
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:161             0.0.0.0:*                           1644/mini_snmpd
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                      5010 1644/mini_snmpd
me@RT-AX88U-08C8:/tmp/home/root#

Your next problem is going to be the counters wrapping though ... have you read this entire thread?

Then it's not running. You've got to check your config or your logs, or get it to run in foreground mode so you can see exactly what it is doing.

I've had this set up and working for many months now but after the last reboot it wouldn't start anymore. No logged message or detailed error that I could find. Turns out my /opt/etc/init.d/S50mini_snmpd got replaced and most importantly the actual command was invalid:
PROCS=mini-snmpd
instead of this:
PROCS=mini_snmpd

Swapping out the dash for underscore fixed the issue, not sure how/why it reverted and why the default was wrong. Wasted 30min on that, hopefully this saves others that time. The OP has the correct value in the config so if you copied directly, you should be fine.

As per my recent posts in the main release thread, confirming that exactly as the above happened to me after upgrading to 386.1 - I stupidly left the USB key in.

For those waiting for 64-bit counter support in mini_snmpd, last year the PR got merged and release 1.6 in theory supports them. late last year the repo that opkg uses (openwrt?) pulled the last version and that's the version that opkg installs now. I've been waiting for a very long time for this. Will test it shortly

Update - after installing version 1.6 of the entware package and testing this (and solving the issue with the typo inside /opt/etc/init.d/S50mini_snmpd described by Greg), it seems they bumped the package version number but not the actual code of mini_snmpd. Running mini_snmpd -h shows version 1.4rc1, not 1.6, and all of the ifXtable counters are missing.

snmpwalk -v 2c 192.168.1.1 .1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1
iso.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1 = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID

New bug opened for this here. https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/14815

Last edited:
For those waiting for 64-bit counter support in mini_snmpd, last year the PR got merged and release 1.6 in theory supports them. late last year the repo that opkg uses (openwrt?) pulled the last version and that's the version that opkg installs now. I've been waiting for a very long time for this. Will test it shortly
Let us know if it works.

Let us know if it works.

Upstream ack'd the problem with the package and will pull the version 1.6 of the code. It will be included in the 1.6-3 version of the opkg package. That one will add support of 64 bit counters for interfaces.

Also please note, RE the undescore problem, they will change the name of the binary,

>.... that daemon binary path has changed from /usr/bin/mini_snmpd to /usr/sbin/mini-snmpd

So in package 1.6-3, the init.d service script should just work without requiring any tweak.

Nothing seems to have happened yet (I know, developers have paying jobs, lives, etc) with:
Code:
opkg update
doing nothing.
As the Entware wiki page says
We sync our sources with OpenWrt feeds and update our own packages approx. once per month
presumably we have to wait a bit longer, no time at all in the grand scheme of things.

Anyone tried compiling the latest mini_snmpd themselves ?