What's new

RT-AX88U snmpd - mini Guide

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Using amtm today, I discover that Entware packages have been updated and we now have mini_snmpd - 1.6-3 listed via amtm.

The new package trashes /opt/etc/init.d/S50mini_snmpd so I used the backup made previously. All appears to work, with the router log showing:
Code:
mini-snmpd v1.6 starting
Listening on port 161/udp and 161/tcp

snmpwalk shows the usual information, including Counter64 (hooray). My Mac app PeakHour4 is happy that snmpd is working on my router.

But... I get no further as no interfaces are offered, despite the same config as before, which includes "-i eth0" (on my RT-AC86U). I'm mystified at present, so carrying on testing.

Anyone had success ?

Two mugs of coffee later... I worked out that (for my installation at least) all was OK except that the config -i eth0 was not being picked up. Poking about, I found another file /tmp/mnt/myUSBstick/entware/etc/mini-snmpd.conf and removed the comment from the last line which now reads:
Code:
iface-table    = { "eth0", "eth1" }
All now works, including 64bit high capacity counters.

Maybe this mini-snmpd.conf is the new way to do things as:
https://github.com/troglobit/mini-snmpd/compare/v1.4...v1.6 Commits on May 06, 2018
references: Basic support for a mini-snmpd.conf file

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! The Topic is 2 years old now, and I don't use SNMP anymore. I wrote my own script for gathering data from the router.
I never released it here, because i don't had time to support, so use at own risk, but maybe it can be useful.

Two mugs of coffee later... I worked out that (for my installation at least) all was OK except that the config -i eth0 was not being picked up. Poking about, I found another file /tmp/mnt/myUSBstick/entware/etc/mini-snmpd.conf and removed the comment from the last line which now reads:
Code:
iface-table    = { "eth0", "eth1" }
All now works, including 64bit high capacity counters.

Maybe this mini-snmpd.conf is the new way to do things as:
https://github.com/troglobit/mini-snmpd/compare/v1.4...v1.6 Commits on May 06, 2018
references: Basic support for a mini-snmpd.conf file
Thanks for this! Just to clarify, do we need to delete or otherwise edit any of the other stuff in this file? I've removed the comment from the last line but no go.

Edit: from my router log: admin: Failed to start mini_snmpd from /jffs/scripts/post-mount.

Last edited:
Thanks for this! Just to clarify, do we need to delete or otherwise edit any of the other stuff in this file? I've removed the comment from the last line but no go.

Edit: from my router log: admin: Failed to start mini_snmpd from /jffs/scripts/post-mount.

Not really sure where to start with troubleshooting this, any help/pointers greatly appreciated, thank you!

Not really sure where to start with troubleshooting this, any help/pointers greatly appreciated, thank you!
Yup. 1.6-3 broke using Peakhour 4 on my Mac and nothing I have tried with config files (now seems there can be 2) works. So I hope others smarter
than me (not a stretch) can help. I see no usable data to monitor. Just a reply from getting snmtp to respond. Bummer.

I had the same problem and couldn't figure out how to get the new version to work, so I downgraded back to the prior version. Here's the list of commands I used, keep in mind it'll wipe your S50mini_snmpd config.
1) Download the old version, which I found via http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/archive/
Code:
wget http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/archive/mini_snmpd_1.6-1_aarch64-3.10.ipk
2) Install this specific version:
Code:
opkg install mini_snmpd_1.6-1_aarch64-3.10.ipk --force-downgrade
3) Put a hold on this package so it won't update later on:
Code:
 opkg flag hold mini_snmpd
4) You can verify with the info command:
Code:
opkg info mini_snmpd

#My output:
Package: mini_snmpd
Version: 1.6-3
Depends: libc, libssp, librt, libpthread, confuse
Section: net
Architecture: aarch64-3.10
Size: 28843
Filename: mini_snmpd_1.6-3_aarch64-3.10.ipk
Description: A tiny SNMP server for embedded systems

Version: 1.6-1
Installed-Time: 1618710177
5) Restore your original /opt/etc/init.d/S50mini_snmpd file and start/restart it:
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S50mini_snmpd restart

Next day update: appears to be working fine, no known issues.

Last edited:
I had the same problem and couldn't figure out how to get the new version to work, so I downgraded back to the prior version. Here's the list of commands I used, keep in mind it'll wipe your S50mini_snmpd config.
1) Download the old version, which I found via http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/archive/
Code:
wget http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/archive/mini_snmpd_1.6-1_aarch64-3.10.ipk
2) Install this specific version:
Code:
opkg install mini_snmpd_1.6-1_aarch64-3.10.ipk --force-downgrade
3) Put a hold on this package so it won't update later on:
Code:
 opkg flag hold mini_snmpd
4) You can verify with the info command:
Code:
opkg info mini_snmpd

#My output:
Version: 1.6-3
Section: net
Size: 28843
Filename: mini_snmpd_1.6-3_aarch64-3.10.ipk
Description: A tiny SNMP server for embedded systems

Version: 1.6-1
Installed-Time: 1618710177
5) Restore your original /opt/etc/init.d/S50mini_snmpd file and start/restart it:
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S50mini_snmpd restart

This appears to work but it's not been running long enough for me to be sure. I'll update in the morning if it didn't work.
Had high hopes, but step 2 reports wrong architecture for my RT-AX3000. Apparently I have ARM7-2.6 according to the info.

(edit)
Poked around found the right file for my use and now working. Thanks for the tip....had to overcome the mini_snmpd versus mini-snmpd thing ;)

Last edited:
RT-AX58U/RT-AX3000 are 32-bit armv7 devices.

Had high hopes, but step 2 reports wrong architecture for my RT-AX3000. Apparently I have ARM7-2.6 according to the info.

(edit)
Poked around found the right file for my use and now working. Thanks for the tip....had to overcome the mini_snmpd versus mini-snmpd thing ;)
No problem, you just need a different url. You can see all the architecture options here: http://bin.entware.net/ and then navigate to the same relative location. For ARM7-2.6 it's this: http://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/archive/mini_snmpd_1.6-1_armv7-2.6.ipk

(edit) Just noticed your edit, glad to hear you figured it out ;)

Thank you all for the great work. I'm now monitoring my WAN with PRTG.

Morris

Last edited:
It appears as though the one person in this thread who has managed to get mini_snmpd 1.6-3 working does not wish to be contacted and while I completely respect that decision, I'd also like to get 1.6-3 working correctly but do not have the necessary specific CLI know-how to both clean up the existing packages and config files and change to the new structure. Appreciate any advice on my options here please, thanks!

I got bitten by this change as well, I realized just now, with snmpd broken in my install for the last month and a half since I did an opkg update.
To make a long story short, the new mini-snmpd works perfectly but it needs some help
1) the old configuration you had in /opt/etc/init.d/S50mini_snmpd (in the "ARGS" variable)_ is now completely ignored, I found that out the hard way. S50... is still used to start / restart the daemon though.
2) the new configuration goes in /opt/etc/mini-snmpd.conf. Here you configure your community string and the interfaces that you want to expose via snmp, by default, it does not expose ANY interface. You can inspect what interfaces your router has configured by typing ifconfig. If you just want the WAN (internet connection) traffic then you want "eth0", with that, remove the "#" prefix in the "iface-table" line, and adjust the interface list according to what you want

iface-table = { "br0", "eth0" }
Basically that's all you need to do in this file, no need to make any other change unless you know what you are doing

3) restart the daemon
/opt/init.d/S50mini_snmpd restart

4) test it:
snmpwalk -v 2c -c public -Of localhost .1

you will notice that 64 bit counters are now supported which is nice

YMMV but this worked for me, no need to downgrade mini-snmpd versions

as discused in this thread f the normal snmpd crashed on the RT-AX88U.
So i tryed the mini-snmp package from entware, wich runs totally fine. Just want to share, if someone need this.

install mini_snmpd, snmp-utils

Code:
opkg install mini_snmpd
opkg install snmp-utils

create /opt/etc/init.d/S50mini_snmpd

Code:
#!/bin/sh

ENABLED=yes
PROCS=mini_snmpd
ARGS="-i br0,eth0 -D RT-AX88U -L YOUR-LOCATION -c public -C YOUR-EMAIL"
PREARGS=""
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func

add/replace your Interfaces in the script after -i and replace YOUR-LOCATION and YOUR-EMAIL with your values.

test from different linux pc with installed snmp

Code:
 snmpwalk -v2c -c public 192.168.X.X

View attachment 17274

grafana:

View attachment 17272
View attachment 17273

Does this still work for the RT-AX88U using merlin 388.1

I’m installing Cacti on a Raspberry Pi and it requires my router to have SNMP

Thanks for the info! The Topic is 2 years old now, and I don't use SNMP anymore. I wrote my own script for gathering data from the router.
I never released it here, because i don't had time to support, so use at own risk, but maybe it can be useful.
Are you looking to extract Skynet stats or logs at all in the future?

I'm on 388.1 and it's still working for me, though I never upgraded past mini_snmpd - 1.6-1
I got it to work! I tested it from my Raspberry Pi and it is running. Thanks.

Edit: Does this look right?

E572CE90-FB20-40A2-8E4A-DD41C3BAE5B4.jpeg

Last edited:
How can I tell if this is working? I'm in the process of setting up Cacti network monitoring on a Raspberry Pi, and I'm just wondering if this mini snmp install is working before I proceed.