What's new

RT-BE96U Tri-Band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Still the fastest Wifi 6 router as well.
3.0.0.6.102_32872 is listed in the review, so the latest, then. Thinking about this one myself after reading Dong's review...only one wifi-7 client, though, and that's a phone *smile*.

Still the fastest Wifi 6 router as well.

Yes, but...$700 is pretty steep for a wifi-6 router *smile*. Even for a very fast one.

ASUS RT-BE96U Firmware version 3.0.0.6.102_32882
Version 3.0.0.6.102_32882
126.84 MB
2023/11/30
1. Fixed android 14 compatibility issue while using WPA2-personal.
2. Fixed compatibility issue of 6GHz WiFi devices.

Please unzip the firmware file, and then verify the checksum.
SHA256: 2d05610e85a1e6d198ab2f2630536342cb508be0055e576137cbed167a2d49f2

This update caused both my routers' LEDs to turn on at random (I have them off at all times) and caused strange WebGUI bugs such as my AiMesh node shown as disconnected when it wasn't. Changed settings would also not be applied and instead reverted to the previous settings.

One thing interesting was then they included the GT-BE98 Pro's initial firmware release in the file as well.

This update caused both my routers' LEDs to turn on at random (I have them off at all times) and caused strange WebGUI bugs such as my AiMesh node shown as disconnected when it wasn't. Changed settings would also not be applied and instead reverted to the previous settings.

One thing interesting was then they included the GT-BE98 Pro's initial firmware release in the file as well.
If you hit refresh after applying the settings, you’ll see they did apply. The settings pages aren’t refreshing themselves automatically.

Where do you see the BE98’s firmware?

If you hit refresh after applying the settings, you’ll see they did apply. The settings pages aren’t refreshing themselves automatically.

Where do you see the BE98’s firmware?
It's there when you unzip the file.

New here...anyway, major problems with this firmware for the RT-BE96U. For me it seems to have turned on QOS. I'm seeing the same settings issues. Sometimes it takes but I have to pull the power to get back to the gui. Just locking a mac/ip requires a very long restart, sometimes a reboot. It also seems to have broken DNS Privacy. If I turn that on, while ipv6 is on, I can't do any DNS. I have a support case opened with them. None of this was a problem before the firmware release on Friday.

Also can't get the HTTPS cert setup to make the gui https despite following the directions exactly (day 1 issue).

I reset my BE96 to defaults after installing the update and set it up all over again from scratch; so far no issues at all. Is the reset to defaults why I’m not having any issues?

More than likely. 🙂

I reset my BE96 to defaults after installing the update and set it up all over again from scratch; so far no issues at all. Is the reset to defaults why I’m not having any issues?

I didn't reset to defaults after 32882, but did after 32772, which is likely very similar. No problems here, either. But not using 160MHz. channel width with IPv6. No reason to turn on IPv6 here. And no problem with QoS turning on. However data traffic statistics is working well, so Trend Data isn't a problem across the board. Anyways, happy with 32882.

Last edited:
Anybody having issues with this new firmware and 5ghz? I have 4 of these. 1 as an aimesh router and the other 3 as nodes. I use wireless backhaul because my house is huge and I live in a small town where no one can install ethernet. Had it attempted, but dude couldn't do it because of the firewalls in the home. Anyway, the backhaul is great. Actually, everything was great before this update. I was on the release firmware. Now, with this update, none of my devices will connect to the 5ghz channels of the nodes. They connect to the router fine, but as I said, my house is pretty big so some devices just are screwed because they're way too far from the router. If I roll back, it works fine again. However, it just keeps updating itself again overnight. I'm tired of rolling back every day to keep my family happy. I've tried changing the roaming assistant settings and even binding devices that are stationary. Nothing works. It's like 5ghz is just turned off on the nodes. 2.4ghz is fine. 6ghz is fine as well as my iPhone and laptop connect to it and roam appropriately. It's just 5ghz which the majority of my devices need. Any ideas?

I've got 4 GT-AXE11000s that I eventually ran into an issue with. One of the updates kept screwing stuff up and I couldn't roll back. Switched to Merlin and things were fine because I didn't have to update. No merlin available to save me this time. Don't want to go back to the AXE routers because I'm getting way better speeds as the 6ghz backhaul is much improved with the 320mhz from WiFi 7.

Last edited:
Anybody having issues with this new firmware and 5ghz? I have 4 of these. 1 as an aimesh router and the other 3 as nodes. I use wireless backhaul because my house is huge and I live in a small town where no one can install ethernet. Had it attempted, but dude couldn't do it because of the firewalls in the home. Anyway, the backhaul is great. Actually, everything was great before this update. I was on the release firmware. Now, with this update, none of my devices will connect to the 5ghz channels of the nodes. They connect to the router fine, but as I said, my house is pretty big so some devices just are screwed because they're way too far from the router. If I roll back, it works fine again. However, it just keeps updating itself again overnight. I'm tired of rolling back every day to keep my family happy. I've tried changing the roaming assistant settings and even binding devices that are stationary. Nothing works. It's like 5ghz is just turned off on the nodes. 2.4ghz is fine. 6ghz is fine as well as my iPhone and laptop connect to it and roam appropriately. It's just 5ghz which the majority of my devices need. Any ideas?

I've got 4 GT-AXE11000s that I eventually ran into an issue with. One of the updates kept screwing stuff up and I couldn't roll back. Switched to Merlin and things were fine because I didn't have to update. No merlin available to save me this time. Don't want to go back to the AXE routers because I'm getting way better speeds as the 6ghz backhaul is much improved with the 320mhz from WiFi 7.

The firmware rolls forward automatically with "auto firmware update" (on the web admin UI firmware upgrade admin tab) turned off? Haven't experienced that on any Asus router I've used, including this one. I wouldn't like that for this very reason...that's a big part of why I moved off Orbi's to Asus routers in the first place. A bad firmware release, and no way to revert wasn't acceptable.

Last edited:
The firmware rolls forward automatically with "auto firmware update" (on the web admin UI firmware upgrade admin tab) turned off? Haven't experienced that on any Asus router I've used, including this one. I wouldn't like that for this very reason...that's a big part of why I moved off Orbi's to Asus routers in the first place. A bad firmware release, and no way to revert wasn't acceptable.
Yep, it does. I had Orbi prior to Asus too. I believe I used telnet to keep it from updating at one point but had that issue as well. I gave that to my parents and switched to Asus. This is my 3rd set of Asus routers. AX11000->AXE11000->BE96U. But yes, AXE1100 and BE96U do it now. There's actually a thread about how now Asus does auto updates regardless of whether you want them to. I attached it below. It's very annoying because it doesn't seem they test their firmware very well.

Here’s a fun little glitch.

No changes to any settings, but after scheduled reboot this morning my BE96 forgot the names of all my devices, and wouldn’t keep the new names when I renamed them. Resetting to defaults did NOT fix the problem. I’m using the latest firmware.

Anyone have an idea as to fix?

Here’s a fun little glitch.

No changes to any settings, but after scheduled reboot this morning my BE96 forgot the names of all my devices, and wouldn’t keep the new names when I renamed them. Resetting to defaults did NOT fix the problem. I’m using the latest firmware.

Anyone have an idea as to fix?
Fixed.

Restored configuration from backup, was able to properly rename all devices, working fine again. Odd little bug, reported to ASUS via Feedback in router app.

Fixed.

Restored configuration from backup, was able to properly rename all devices, working fine again. Odd little bug, reported to ASUS via Feedback in router app.
Glad you got it working. My 5ghz bug from above is still present. Tried factory resetting all units and everything. Hope a new firmware comes out soon, cause this current one is TRASH. Tired of rolling back

Glad you got it working. My 5ghz bug from above is still present. Tried factory resetting all units and everything. Hope a new firmware comes out soon, cause this current one is TRASH. Tired of rolling back
I always back up my router configurations in case weird things like this happen, and it makes it easier to get up and running after firmware updates; I always reset to defaults after those just to make sure all caches and other junk are cleared out in the router.

Did you try reflashing the latest firmware on the router?

I always back up my router configurations in case weird things like this happen, and it makes it easier to get up and running after firmware updates; I always reset to defaults after those just to make sure all caches and other junk are cleared out in the router.

Did you try reflashing the latest firmware on the router?
I did. Probably have done that about 4 times now. I'm so frustrated with them. If they just wouldn't force updates my network would be functioning perfectly. I've never had better speeds than I did on the initial firmware. Essentially was the same as if I had an ethernet backhaul.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but the ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 (quad band w/two 5 GHz bands) just had a huge firmware update released today. It now has a lot of the functionality and features of the BE96/98 without the WiFi 7.

Just thought y’all might be interested considering our issues with the BE96.

ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 Firmware version 3.0.04.388_24329

Version 3.0.04.388_24329
55.41 MB 2023/12/18
New Features:
- Added new IPTV profiles, including Celcom, Celcom-TM, and UNIFI-Business+VoIP.

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
- Fixed WAN connection issues.
- Resolved an issue that caused hostname errors in the DDNS service.
- Resolved OpenVPN server TAP mode issue.
- Added MTU setting for WireGuard client.
- Ensured consistent display of client status on the WireGuard server.
- Enhanced system stability when accessing the WireGuard server with DMZ enabled.
- Improved stability when enabling or disabling the WireGuard server.
- Optimized memory utilization and fixed an occasional server error when registering DDNS with an app.
- Corrected a bug encountered when adding a rule to the network services filter.
- Fixed connection in load-balance mode when both WANs have static IPs.
- Resolved USB path display issue in RE Mode.
- Improved VPN client internet accessibility with AiProtection.

Security Fixes:
- Fixed OpenSSL vulnerabilities.
- Upgraded to the latest dropbear version.
- Fixed a stack overflow vulnerability.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!