What's new

RT-N66U as Media Bridge: fails some times

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
My RT-N66U, firmware 3.0.0.4.382.50702, works quite flawless as Media Bridge with one blue-ray player wired connected to it.
The RT-N66U connects wireless to the RT-AC68U main router.
The main router has a default fixed IP address of 192.168.1.1.
The RT-N66U gets it's IP address automatically from the main router (usually 192.168.1.245).

After a while though (weeks, months?) I find the wireless client close to the RT-N66U without Internet connection, which is caused by this wireless client be hooked up to the RT-N66U which by then has the same IP address as the main router: 192.168.1.1.
Logs of both the RT-N66U and RT-AC68U do not show any related entries.
Reboot of the RT-N66U solves the issue for another period of time.
Has anyone seen this issue as well?

Maybe it's resetting its IP address when it looses contact with the main router. Configure the Media Bridge with a fixed IP address (LAN > LAN IP) that is outside your DHCP pool and see if that helps.

Good idea, I have set the RT-N66U to fixed IP settings.
Let's see how that works out over time.

[EDIT] While I had to adjust the DHCP range of the main router first, the Media Bridge of course lost connection during reboot of the main router and reverted to 192.168.1.1
The root cause of the issue I found may indeed be related to a (brief) lost connection.
It is a bit uncommon though that the Media Bridge in case of a lost connection does not keep its DHCP assigned IP address and reverts to 192.168.1.1, causing a network conflict after the main router is back online.

Last edited:
Search the forums regarding the 5GHz radio dropping off on the N66 platform. The behavior you describe is exactly what I had to my N66 do for quite sometime before it finally went really bad and did it several times a week.

I have never found a perfectly stable media bridge solution. :( The N66 and AC66 were the best I have found, and they still required a reboot usually about once a month.

Search the forums regarding the 5GHz radio dropping off on the N66 platform. The behavior you describe is exactly what I had to my N66 do for quite sometime before it finally went really bad and did it several times a week.

I have never found a perfectly stable media bridge solution. :( The N66 and AC66 were the best I have found, and they still required a reboot usually about once a month.
The connection between my RT-AC68U as router and RT-N66U is on 2.4 Ghz.
Let me see what the fixed IP settings do over time.

My N66 works very well as a media bridge as long as I don't use the RT-AC68 as the router. Frequent dropouts and packet loss on the 5GHz band. I think the issue is related to the new firmware supporting AiMesh. When I use the R7800, everything is perfect. Latency is a few milliseconds higher for some reason, but no packet loss.

When the RT-N66U dies, I am screwed, Using the RT-AC68U in media bridge mode is horrible with recent firmware. I might just have to try going back to some earlier release to see if the problem goes away.