What's new

RT-N66U slow transfer between networked hard drives

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brente1982

New Around Here
So i have 2 hard drives connected to the USB ports on my router, and when i move a file from one of them to the other the speed seems incredibly slow. Maxing out at around 6MBs. Should it be much faster than this???

Those speeds mirror my experiences. I was also disappointed. :(
It's still a great router/WAP.

If you require faster speeds, setup an old computer with a gigabit ethernet card and connect those drives to the networked computer. FreeNAS may be something you should look into. I'm not sure what drives you have, but I think you could even remove them from their housing and connect the drives to the faster IDE/ATA/PATA, SATA, SCSI, etc internal hookups.

I have the same exact problem also. It'll go as slow as 5-6MBs or as high as 13MBs (rare, though it usually goes around 8-10MBs). It might have something to do with USB2.0 (but it should still go faster that these speeds). I've read that if the drives are formatted as ext2/ext3, they would have faster rates, but I need to use NTFS.

I hope the newer models that have USB3.0 have faster data transfer rates (because my HDD to my router is a USB3.0 HDD). Anyone with the newer AC routers with USB3.0 confirm this?

I have the same exact problem also. It'll go as slow as 5-6MBs or as high as 13MBs (rare, though it usually goes around 8-10MBs). It might have something to do with USB2.0 (but it should still go faster that these speeds). I've read that if the drives are formatted as ext2/ext3, they would have faster rates, but I need to use NTFS.

I hope the newer models that have USB3.0 have faster data transfer rates (because my HDD to my router is a USB3.0 HDD). Anyone with the newer AC routers with USB3.0 confirm this?

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=130339&postcount=13