What's new

[RT-N66U] Which operation mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

episyron

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have a new 4G wireless broadband from the local operator. I am quite happy with it (getting ~90Mbps down), but not so happy with a provided modem, Huawei B593S. It seems that it cannot be switched to bridge mode, so it is running as a router. It is connected to wan port of RT-N66U and all my clients are connected to RT-N66U.

So what operation mode I should run on RT-N66U? Wireless router mode or access point mode? With wireless router mode I end up using double NAT. With access point mode I would have to rely only Huawei's firewall and security, of which I don't have so much faith. So which one would you suggest? Are there any other options?

Run it double NATed as you have it set up now so you can use the advanced features of the N66U.

You can put the N66U on the other side of your home if you want to use the WiFi AP on both devices. This will mean using a longer Ethernet cable. Any devices connecting to ISPs router/AP will be limited to the security features that if offers. Let guests use this network or allow devices that don't need a lot of security connect to your primary router from the ISP.

If you leave the WiFi running on both devices be sure they use different channels.

i'm running my n66w in ap mode; while the vpn functionality is missing from the UI, the file server features are there and you can run entware just fine. just for reference