What's new

Running Cat5e outdoors? Or go wireless?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bandalo

Occasional Visitor
I just moved to Italy, and I'm working on setting up my network again. Apparently, drywall and wood framed homes don't exist out here. Solid walls, tile floors and plaster are the name of the game.

I have a storage space downstairs which will contain 1 WHS box, 1 ADSL modem, 1 WiFi Router/AP (for laptops, Xbox, etc downstairs) and a Vonage VoIP box. Eventually I'll replace the router with an Untangle or Pfsense server so I can play with that a bit.

Upstairs I have an office with 2 PCs and 1 network printer and a GigE switch.

There's NO way to run cable through the walls. I think I can get a cat 5 cable out through a window corner, and down the wall into the storage space window. So the outside run would come out the bottom of window, down a ledge for about 10ft, and in the window. The total run from is about 75-80ft from router to switch. (assuming I run it neatly along the baseboards so my wife doesn't kill me)

The other option is to use bridge like the D-Link DAP-1522 (or something similar) in the upstairs office, and get a dual band router for the storage room. 5Ghz for the bridge, 2.4Ghz for the downstairs wireless.

Any problems with running Cat 5e outdoors? It doesn't get too cold out here, and I think the run would be mostly out of the rain and sun. Any other suggestions on this idea?

You'll be much happier with Ethernet than wireless. Should be no problem.
You can run it through plastic conduit and paint it to match the outside wall color to raise the spousal approval index.

If you just do naked cable, make sure you put a drip loop, i.e. let the cable sag to a "U" shape, where it passes through the window. That will keep rain from running down the cable and into the hole.

Outside Cat5e run

Will he need a plenum covered cable if not run through a conduit, or would the regular cable cover suffice?

Since the cable is readily accessible and replaceable, I wouldn't worry about plenum or outdoor rating.

Sounds like I'll be routing some cable then. I ordered a couple 100ft patch cords just to be on the safe side. That way after I pinch one in the window frame, I'll have a spare on hand.

I'll make sure I keep that tip about the drip loop in mind too. Streaming video not water!

Plenum cable is not necesary, that's only for air duct areas and fire code, less toxic smoke is emitted by the cable jacket when it burns (although some studies have shown it's actually just as toxic).

There is outdoor grade cable, the jacket is UV-resistant and thicker so it can resist moisture better, as well as keep from being "pinched" when it's wet and freezes (ice constricts and can mess with the cable twisting inside). You state you're not in a cold weather climate, but the UV-resistance is still important. Standard cable jackets may software and get porous from the sun and allow moisture inside. If you plan on being in this house/building long term, I recommend seeking outdoor cable.

Well, I'm in southern Italy, so it never gets too cold. The area the cable is run is in the shade most of the time, but I hadn't considered the UV issue.

The cable is only outdoors for about 10-12ft total. Would some simple plastic conduit be good for the UV protection? I only need it to last 2-3 years I think. That would be a lot cheaper than buying 100ft of outdoor/UV shielded cable. ($70 for a 100ft outdoor cable, vice $14 for 100ft of reg cat 5e + $10 for some conduit)

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with even the conduit. If you have problems with the cable, it will be easy enough to replace it.

I've been running Cat 5e outside for 8 years now without any issues. Hot temps into 100F as cold as -10F no issues. I have older home but it has new drywall I don't feel like snaking the cable through and around it. It's easy to drill 5/8 wood holes and snake it through the wood floors or out the window or through old dry vents up the side of the house over the roof. You can use Coax cable clamps to keep the Cat 5e in place on the house wall or on the roof.

Sounds like a good plan then. Now I just have to wait for the cable to arrive..2 day shipping in the US = 10-14 days to get to Italy!