What's new

scMerlin scMerlin v2 - Service and script control menu for AsusWRT-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Apologies in advance for my question.
I've had my RT-AX58U for a week or so. Installed Merlin pretty much straight up and has been fine until today where I can no longer access the GUI.
A reboot didn't fix it.

I've discovered this page, installed Putty but for the life of me can't work out how to get scMerlin running.

Anyone able to help with it ?
Thanks

Apologies in advance for my question.
I've had my RT-AX58U for a week or so. Installed Merlin pretty much straight up and has been fine until today where I can no longer access the GUI.
A reboot didn't fix it.

I've discovered this page, installed Putty but for the life of me can't work out how to get scMerlin running.

Anyone able to help with it ?
Thanks
Do you have access to amtm via the CLI? If not try this:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/

1. Use putty* to connect to router
2. Act the command prompt type 'amtm' to bring up 'The Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu'

From there you should be able to install scMerlin - if it is not visible you may need to press 'i' for all available scripts first.

* if you are running Windows 10, you should also be able to ssh onto the router via the Command / PowerShell prompts.

@scottb721, if you haven't done so after flashing the RMerlin firmware when you bought it, you need to do it now if you want to have the most stable and reliable experience with your new router.

New M&M 2020

@Jack Yaz ...Seeing people referring to Temp spikes with new firmware had me wondering if the great Jack could add a Temp over time graph to the bottom of SCmerlin? Possibly below the current temp?
1609345045890.png

@Jack Yaz ...Seeing people referring to Temp spikes with new firmware had me wondering if the great Jack could add a Temp over time graph to the bottom of SCmerlin? Possibly below the current temp?
View attachment 28941
Great idea - especially since yours is above the temp required for a perfect cup of coffee ;).

Is it possible to uninstall scMerlin from the command line? Without going into the script at all.

/jffs/scripts/scmerlin uninstall doesn't seem to work. Rather, it reports 'Text file busy'. (And I'm sure I'm using the wrong command too. Without amtm working, I'm lost).

The customer removed the USB 'unsafely' and gave it away. :oops:

Is it possible to uninstall scMerlin from the command line? Without going into the script at all.

/jffs/scripts/scmerlin uninstall doesn't seem to work. Rather, it reports 'Text file busy'. (And I'm sure I'm using the wrong command too. Without amtm working, I'm lost).

"scmerlin uninstall" works for me - just uninstalled and reinstalled.

Reboot the router and then it should work

Thank you both for the suggestions. The router has been rebooted a few times now. Still stuck.

@Jack Yaz, I will let you know as soon as my customer calls me back. Thank you for your support!

We made it to 2021! I hope it is a great year for us all. Cheers!

@Jack Yaz, my customer has gone AWOL! Lol...

He sent me his credentials earlier for his router so I could ssh in (and I just got the chance). Can't sign in ('Server caused the connection to be reset' message).

I guess both you and I are still waiting to see if this will be resolved.

(And just wanted to let you know I hadn't forgotten about this either).

'Server refused to start a shell/command', shown when trying to log in with PuTTY. I give up trying to do this remotely and via telephone.

I need to do a Nuclear Reset for him. In-person.

Guess I'd better fill up the car... it's about a 300KM round trip. :D

Let's see when he's going to be available for me.

@Clark Griswald, thanks I'll try it! :D

The guide seems rather good, but I've read that that forum user is a hack though! :p:p:p

v.2.1.0 is now available
Changelog:
  • NEW: Added option to disable feature(s) that require a USB. This is currently only the list of running processes in the WebUI.
  • CHANGED: Script launches on boot from post-mount and not services-start
  • FIXED: Display of temperatures for routers that erroneously report the existence of 5GHz-2

Can you try running it using:
Code:
sh -x  /jffs/scripts/scmerlin uninstall

Just following up (finally) on this issue. The above command worked perfectly (of course!) to remove the scMerlin script from the router which had its USB amtm + Entware + swap file drive 'donated' away.

Thank you again @Jack Yaz for the support! :D

Is there a way to revert to scMerlin v1?

I use the current version on my main router (AX88U), but have also been using it on my mesh node (AX58U) to run simple maintenance rather than rebooting whenever anything seems off. On the old versions entware was not required and it ran perfectly for everything I needed - however having updated today I now see that it requires entware which seems excessive for a device where I require minimal commands and has no web interface.

Is there a way to revert to scMerlin v1?

I use the current version on my main router (AX88U), but have also been using it on my mesh node (AX58U) to run simple maintenance rather than rebooting whenever anything seems off. On the old versions entware was not required and it ran perfectly for everything I needed - however having updated today I now see that it requires entware which seems excessive for a device where I require minimal commands and has no web interface.
I'm not sure for existing installs, but:
Code:
v.2.1.0 is now available
Changelog:
NEW: Added option to disable feature(s) that require a USB. This is currently only the list of running processes in the WebUI.
If you uninstall and reinstall you should be prompted whether to enable usb stuff, thus negating needing entware

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!