What's new

Scribe scribe 3.x_y - syslog-ng and logrotate installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not a problem on reboot — only when executing "rs." command from menu. Interim work-around is to uninstall and reinstall scribe.
stopping "st" syslog-ng and logrotate, then restarting "rs" them I think might work as well, and not require a reboot.

If I can be of further assistance, just let me know and I'll do my best...
Would you please try stopping syslog-ng and logrotate with "st", then starting them with "rs" and see if it still throws the same error? It'll help nail down where the problem is.

Before executing "rs.":
Code:
# cd /jffs/
# ls -al syslog*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 TheS1R   root            21 Apr 25 16:16 syslog.log -> /opt/var/log/messages
-rw-rw-rw-    1 TheS1R   root            24 Apr 25 16:16 syslog.log-1

After executing "rs.":
Code:
# ls -al syslog*
syslog.log:
drwxrwxrwx    2 TheS1R   root           232 Apr 25 16:29 .
drwxr-xr-x   17 TheS1R   root          1992 Apr 25 16:28 ..
lrwxrwxrwx    1 TheS1R   root            21 Apr 25 16:29 messages -> /opt/var/log/messages

syslog.log-1:
drwxrwxrwx    2 TheS1R   root           160 Apr 25 16:28 .
drwxr-xr-x   17 TheS1R   root          1992 Apr 25 16:28 .

After uninstall of scribe:
Code:
# ls -al syslog*
-rw-rw-rw-    1 TheS1R   root         11069 Apr 25 16:33 syslog.log
-rw-------    1 TheS1R   root        247320 Apr 25 16:33 syslog.log-1

After reinstall of scribe:
Code:
# ls -al syslog*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 TheS1R   root            21 Apr 25 16:35 syslog.log -> /opt/var/log/messages
-rw-rw-rw-    1 TheS1R   root            24 Apr 25 16:35 syslog.log-1

stopping "st" syslog-ng and logrotate, then restarting "rs" them I think might work as well, and not require a reboot.
That works!

Yeap that works...
1682455173314.png

If you're still up, please update scribe again and then try 'rs' I'm not sure it's fixed, I can't test the logic.
This logic problem is kicking my butt. Reverted the change (it may have made my router crash).

Okay, that's what I expected, but deepens the logic mystery. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Okay, it's "fixed" by an ugly method that has a major problem, but at least it all works through scribe. The problem is that if someone directly calls the init.d script to restart syslog-ng, it will cause the same problem as before, the files will be all messed up.

As long as syslog-ng is restarted only by scribe, it will be okay. That may be all I can do for the night. Something is happening, this is were I could really use one of the problem routers to test, I need to put a bunch of flags in the code and see where it all goes astray.

A good nights sleep may bring new insights in the morning with fresh eyes and ideas.
No worries, we will all survive without having you grind away at this all night.

A good nights sleep may bring new insights in the morning with fresh eyes and ideas.
No worries, we will all survive without having you grind away at this all night.
Yeah, except I'm in an audit all day long at work tomorrow (Wednesday). Ugh! And there is a good chance I won't have time tomorrow after work due to granddaughter related obligations. Sorry, y'all don't rate anywhere near our granddaughter! :p Your only chance is if she goes home early, which does sometimes happen.

Sorry, y'all don't rate anywhere near our granddaughter!
Nor should we!
Don't sweat it, approach it with fresh eyes when you get the time and I'm sure you'll crack it.
It's meant to be a fun learning exercise, remember?

:D

Okay, it's "fixed" by an ugly method that has a major problem, but at least it all works through scribe. The problem is that if someone directly calls the init.d script to restart syslog-ng, it will cause the same problem as before, the files will be all messed up.

As long as syslog-ng is restarted only by scribe, it will be okay. That may be all I can do for the night. Something is happening, this is were I could really use one of the problem routers to test, I need to put a bunch of flags in the code and see where it all goes astray.
scribe v3.0_2 is still broken on my GT-AX6000 running Merlin 388.2 firmware, causing the same problem. Executing "st." followed by "rs." resolves the issue without a reboot. Might a possibility be to start with the v3.0_0 script and to add the code/calls executed by the "st." menu item to the "rs." menu item (i.e., force a stop before restarting)? Yes, I may be over simplifying, but it could buy you some time until you find the bug in the existing logic.

That being said, have a great time with your granddaughter later today — those are precious moments that you can never reclaim if you miss them. I know since I have two granddaughters — one is 3-1/2 years old, and the other is 10 months old.

I truly appreciate all of your efforts.

Last edited:
Since updating to 3.0.0 and further to 3.0.2 uiscribe is extremely laggy - as in sections of the General Log page going missing when I scroll and returning after either around 10 seconds or a manual refresh. Is this a product of the changes to scribe or is uiscribe due an update?
The above is constant no matter what I try.

Last edited:
I actually tried this as a test. I edited scribe_menu() within scribe v3.0_2 as follows:
Code:
rs)
    menu_restart
    menu_status
    ;;
st)
    if sng_rng
    then
        menu_stop
    else
        not_recog=true
    fi
    ;;
becomes
Code:
rs)
    if sng_rng
    then
        menu_stop
    else
        not_recog=true
    fi
    menu_restart
    menu_status
    ;;
st)
    if sng_rng
    then
        menu_stop
    else
        not_recog=true
    fi
    ;;
Output from execution of NEW "rs." from menu:
Code:
Please select an option: rs
 stopping syslog-ng ... Checking syslog-ng...              alive.
 Shutting down syslog-ng...              done.
 starting system klogd and syslogd ...
Done.

syslog-ng will be started at next reboot; you
 may type 'scribe restart' at shell prompt, or
 select rs from scribe menu to restart syslog-ng

syslog-ng NOT running!  Starting  ...
 Starting syslog-ng...              done.
 Restarting uiScribe ...Mounting WebUI page for uiScribe

Mounted uiScribe WebUI page as Main_LogStatus_Content.asp

checking syslog-ng daemon ... alive.

checking system for necessary scribe hooks ...

checking S01syslog-ng ... present.
         checking service-event ... present.
            checking post-mount ... present.
               checking unmount ... present.
    checking logrotate cron job ... updated.
       checking directory links ... present.

checking syslog-ng configuration ...

syslog-ng.conf version check ... in sync. (3.38)
    syslog-ng.conf syntax check ... okay!

scribe installed version: v3.0_2 (master)
             scribe GitHub version: v3.0_2 (master)
                 Minor scribe update available

Press [Enter] to continue:
No error(s) thrown! Files/symbolic links intact:
Code:
# pwd
/jffs
# ls -al syslog*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 TheS1R   root            21 Apr 26 08:50 syslog.log -> /opt/var/log/messages
-rw-rw-rw-    1 TheS1R   root            24 Apr 26 08:50 syslog.log-1

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!